Let us know

how they work on your tractor.
Jody

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by simple_john
nice looking rubber, looks like a mixture of AG and turfs... get us a pic when installed
They're due in Friday. Hopefully I can get them done and installed by then and get some pics.

I'm guessing about 8 gallons of solvent per side. Who's the math whiz here that can calculate what volume a 23" x 10" x 12" tire will hold?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Are they ATV tires, or L&G? What kind of spec on them? ply rating,max load. etc.

I will be needing new shoes for my 224 soon, and want something more aggressive. But I also need some meat on them. The tractor spends half the year with a log splitter on it, and it's HEAVY.

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
[(1/2 x 23) squared x 12] - (1/2 x8) squared x 12)=1,395 cubic inches = approx 6 gallons.

I used 8" as the inner hub dia. and that number is an educated guess. The inside of a tire is not a perfect cylinder, it has round corners, so my answer is approximate.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul - They're ATV tires, I believe they are 4 ply.

leolav - I ordered them from my local tire dealer. He has catalogs for all manufacturers.

bontai joe - thanks, based on your formula and what bwiswell used I think I'll purchase 16 gallons to be on the safe side. Hell, it's winter, I know I'll be using any surplus up by spring.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
At what some of the new ATVs weigh the tractor should not weigh anymore then them. Now a heavy log splitter hanging off the :moon: end may try and find some six ply tires.
Jody

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Paul

I think they would hold up a log splitter OK, unless it's super heavy. I have a bucket on the back of mine and get some fairly heavy loads on it. They've done OK so far. I do keep more air in them than recommended, 25 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
I don't think the OEM tires are any more than 4 ply.
I am not eaven sure they are 4 ply??? I just want to upgrade to something better when the time comes. Oh and yes, it's REAL heavy. Probably about 200+lbs. With no weight on the front, you can lift the front with one hand.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
I am not eaven sure they are 4 ply??? I just want to upgrade to something better when the time comes. Oh and yes, it's REAL heavy. Probably about 200+lbs. With no weight on the front, you can lift the front with one hand.
Paul - I have a weight bracket for that tractor that you could easily fabricate some suitcase weights from an old die.

Attachments

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the prices at Tiresunlimited. They were $8 per tire less than what I paid, but then it would have cost me $10 per tire shipping. So all in all I believe I got a good deal.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
Paul - I have a weight bracket for that tractor that you could easily fabricate some suitcase weights from an old die.
Never seen one of those before. I have a weight box, that you just fill with stuff. I have a few old small block Ford heads in there now.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Never seen one of those before. I have a weight box, that you just fill with stuff. I have a few old small block Ford heads in there now.
It's for the front, when you have some heavy pulling going on out back. It hooks up the same as an attachment.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went by Wally world today and picked up 16 gallons of ww solvent. I'll take my tires off the tractor tomorrow and drop them off at the tire place. Should get them back tomorrow afternoon. If its still light enough I'll get some pics.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts