Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am happy to say I spoke with John last night, gave him my credit card info, and am super excitedly anticipating the arrival of my JBJr and my Bear linear actuator for the sleeve hitch.

Ordering was easy, I want the one like Willie's!
Thanks, Willie for doing so much of the ground work and engineering.

Can't wait ... toys toys TOYS!!!

SnowMower

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, to go with the weighted tires!:dazed:

I have a question for those of you who added the rear actuator. What did you do for the rear top brackets. I saw the ones that Willie built. Would you be willing to share the specs so I can get some made up (I don't have access to a welder - nor should I).

thanks
SnowMower

·
Registered
241 Posts
snowmower,

"...just like Willie's..." will get you a little bit of the devil. You'll have lot's of fun, and get a lot of work done. And, then you'll start wishing for more traction, a little higher speed in reverse, and you'll wonder if there might be a more streamlined manner of designing the transmission lever gate.
If you're like me, you'll start wishing for, "......just like Simple John's....."
Of course, we already knew that if we had more money, or wanted to spend more, we wouldn't spend so much time on these forums. Well, I was just speaking for myself.
I didn't mean to depress you, I just wanted to make sure everyone realized you bought, and will enjoy, a more budget-minded tractor.......

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then you'll start wishing for more
Wishing for more could get expensive. Willie, I have your ambition but not your talent to fabricate.:cry:

So far, one very happy mower boy.

SnowMower

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Remember to leave your deck on and don't use fluid or chains!
"Willie's Way" --- hahaha Just poking at you, Willie! :D :D :D

Andy

·
Registered
241 Posts
As long as the wannabe and have-not tribes are unionizing, let's talk about our transgresions. Leave the deck on: it saves lots of time 'cause I can cut tall grass/weeds(grows like crazy when I'm not watching) and in the same breath do some work with the J-B Jr. The deck never conacts anything, it helps to add some weight(for traction) and it doesn't knock around due to the fact that the terrain is now smoother and my tractor doesn't go fast. Ya'll think it hurts something, but you don't really know that it does because you always took the precaution to remove it........convinced that it makes sense and therefore a good idea. It's called sensible, logical and smart thinking.
But alas, both of us can't possibly be right. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever killed a mowing deck???
On the other hand, the chains deserve a chance. I bought some(from Sears) and I will try them. I predict they'll help....up to the point where one tire begins to spin. And then, I'll start wishing for the differential lock all over again.
This almost assures that this forum will last many years.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :lucky: :peace:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Call it lazy or call it genious, I am with Willie on this.

The parking lot I grade is pretty level already and the mower deck doesn't really see much abuse.

And, at the end of an evening, I just wanna load up onto the trailer and head out.
I used to have a 4x8 trailer, but the deck was too wide. My best time was 20 minutes to pull the deck off, and then trying to lift it onto the trailer just was no fun at all.
Now I have a bigger trailer, and when I am done, I am gone.

Next project is to find some kind of self leveling grader blade I can put in place of the mower deck. Willie ... start your engine (well your engineering ).:D

SnowMower

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
"I'm just wondering if anyone has ever killed a mowing deck???"

Most L&G tractors outlast the decks for one reason or another. Check any brand of tractor for sale on eBay and at least half if not more won't have a deck. Why? Because either they got bent beyond repair from banging into things, or they rusted out, or developed stress cracks. You can bang a deck out of shape just by cutting grass. Come a little to close to a tree trunk and get it hung up and it will bend either a mounting bracket or the shell. Get a little caught up on a fence post, or scrape along a concrete block border. It may not look bent but that doesn't mean it isn't. Let the grass cake up repeatedly underneth because it's too much of a PITA to remove and as the grass continues to hold moisture the deck will continue to rust until you either see holes or cracks. Ignore pulley,belt, and spindle maintenance and watch the deck develop stress cracks around the spindles. You really aren't helping anything or saving time by not removing the deck often. If for no other reason than to clean, maintain, and check for any unsafe conditions that would go unnoticed otherwise.

·
Registered
241 Posts
sixchows,
As you know, there's been plenty of forum members who have offerred their opinion on how short-lived my tractor will be. They've alluded to the low quality of my tractor, and how I have abused it. It almost makes me want to be inclined to believe that I'm right in the middle of a race to see which will wear out quicker, the tractor or the deck. It might turn out that the quality of both is well-matched, such that both will wear out at the same time.
I'm not going to engage in much specualtion. IMO I take good care of my equipment, and IMO both my tractor and its mowing deck will outlive me.
On second thought, I'll go ahead and speculate that the mowing deck on my tractor will outlast the transaxle and the steering pinion. But, this won't mean the end of the tractor because if I'm still around I'll just keep fixing and replacing stuff on my tractor. Rust damage is the last thing I'm concerned with. And, as long as I'm the only one who will be operating my tractor, I just don't think I'll be hitting anything. In any case, the longevity of my tractor is going to be interesting. Thanks

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Willie
You asked a question. Has anyone killed a mower deck? My response was, yes many have. Just check out eBay like I said and you'll see what I'm talking about. You asked a general question, not one specifically directed at you. My answer was a general statement of fact, again not directed at you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
sixchows,
It was a worthless question. I already knew that there are people who can kill a Sherman tank. But, you answered a question I didn't ask, HOW do you kill a mower deck? Thanks

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Sixchows,

It's a worthless effort to discuss anything further with Willie and his deck. His mind is made up. No more reservations are being taken.....

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
The deck on or off issue is like the synthetic or dino oil debate. Those who don't have fun with those that do and vice versa. Either way you could have a catastrophic failure that neither method would have prevented. :peace:

Mark

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, if you're going to insist on messing around with those antique tractors, when everybody knows there's good modern tractors to be had,......WELL, there's just no need to discuss anything with you any further. And, if you're going to remove your deck for every little thing you do with the tractor,....WELL, you just can't belong to my religion.

---------------------------------------------

Seriously, there's some of us who can live with the fact that someone else has a different point of view. My point of view is that if/when I need the ground clearance, I'll remove the deck. Also, if I can detect that I'm punishing my mower deck, I'll remove it. If I had 2 tractors, like many of you do, one would NOT have a mower deck.

How's this for an olive branch, if I discover that you are right, I'll let you know, and I will apologize. I might be stubborn, but I'm not stupid stubborn.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
For those who may "think" that all my tractors are antiques, here's a pic of one of my other "antiques". Sears craftsman GT 22HP Kohler v twin 6spd, 50" deck. Bought new in 2000 and working hard ever since. I remove the deck often to clean it and inspect it. Good advice, take it or leave it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
nothing wrong with an antique tractor anyway... If you can work on them and they run.. i think by todays standards... they are much more solid and better made than many of the newer ones...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually, the discussion is not about whether there's anything wrong with antiques. The discussion is more about whether Willie's tractor can ever achieve antique status.

NO, that's not it. The discussion was started by someone making reference to "....like Willie's....". Thanks for the flattery.

:truth: :coffee:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts