Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow what a dumb ass i am sometimes....

i work remotley part time for a hospital...

I ran a job last night that takes about an hour.. I forgot to disconnect my computer after it completed..

I woke up at 5:00 this morning in shock cause i remembered i was still connected.. via the modem... long distance... 11.5 hours... ouch...

dont want to see that bill...

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well thats about 690 minutes --- if you have a cheap 4c/min
then you will be looking at ~$25.00 --- if you are talking about $0.10 or more --- it could be upwards of $100!!! :D

I use a service that automatically debits from my checking account at 3.5c/min for LD, in-state, everything. It works just great and I save bigtime. :D

Andy

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my company pays for it..

but i did not want to get a 'rashion of ****' from them
We pay .10 per minute.. just because i was lazy and never switched plans..

I called my provider and they said they would 'good grace' cut that call bill in 1/2 so instead of 70 it will be around 35$...

and i changed the plan so i get unlimited in state long distance for 39$ per month.. i should have done that months ago as the bill is always 100-150/month...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
s_j, do you have an option on your modem settings that will disconnect after a certain amount of inactivity?

On Win2K Pro, the settings are at Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Settings>Dial-up settings>Advanced> Then click the checkbox on "disconnect if idle for __ minutes, and configure time.

You also may find it in Control Panel>Network and Dial-up Connections.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure about a disconnect setting.. its a good idea.. ive always worried that i would do that once.. so at least now ive got it out of the way... its been done..

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
John,
I found some settings on WIN2K Pro. See edited remarks above your last post.
thanks MHC, i just looked at it on my win xp.. i see dialup settings that disconnect if not active.. where its technically not an internet connection but a dialup to a RAS type connection.. i am not totally sure..

but to be honest.. i am pretty sure i wont be doing that again.. i swear i woke up in the night 3 times and had a nagging feeling that i had done something wrong.. it was not till the am when i realized what i had done. or not done..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts