Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pressure guage on the back-hoe didn't work so I figured I really should fix it. While replacing the oil guage I knocked a spring loose from "somewhere" around the carb, the only thing I could figure was on the choke to pull it back open, so I hooked the spring to the choke linkage. Well!! When I started the engine to check the guage, she was reving WAY up there!!. Shut it off and went to checking out why. Found that the PO, when he installed the GM alternater, (because he was too cheep to buy the proper unit) built an adjustment link that interfered with the governor linkage. Instead of changing the link he built, he fiddled with the governor linkage to the point that it didn't work at all, and then just hooked up that stupid spring!!:rolleyes:
In the process of fixing the governor linkage and alternater link, I found that the fan belt was toast, in a BIG way!! It was way thin, and kept rolling over in the groove of the pulleys!:lmao: Could not find a matching belt on the whole farm, so I had to wait a couple of days to get a belt and get everything all reconected.
So I got that finished, and decided to see how it would work with the governor actaully hooked up. I got 4 trees up-rooted and piled up when GUSH, it was spewing oil from the control bank!! The control bank is sectional, and held together with 3 bolts. One was broke, and had been for some time.:rolleyes:
Of course this was out at the back end of the field, about 1/4 mile from the shop. By the time I got wrenches, went back and found a bolt, went back and got more wrenches, went back and got the o-ring that got blown out of the control bank when the bolt let go, and got it all back together, I had spent 5 minutes digging, and 2-1/2 hous fixing!!(and clocked about 2 miles):dazed: So finally at just about dark, I was able to try it out again, got 1 tree dug out when, sputter, silence..... The %^$# thing ran out of gas!!:cry: I'll drag it home tomorrow.:duh:

Oh yeah, as with most used (in this case used up:lmao: ) industrial equipment, I've spent more time working ON than working WITH!!;)

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
That's the problem with old things. The little problems start adding up till a chain reaction seems to happen. I try to keep on top of things trying to prevent that. But some days....:rolleyes:

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
LOL you got that right. I enjoy working on the stuff, but its tough when it ALL breaks at the same time.

I have 2 GT's, 2 walk behind mowers, and a 22" push mower. The last running mower died last night.:confused: :eek: :mad: :confused: :eek: :mad:

I REALY got to get this stuff fixed, or just break down and by a new one.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well at least you are getting it back in shape. It is too bad that folks cob thing together and don't do them right. Maybe to them it is right???? Is it gas or diesel?

:cheers:

·
Registered
977 Posts
just think partsman by the time you have all the work done you needed the hoe for you'll have a rebuilt unit. and think of the experience you'll have gained

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are just a few minor things left, some loose/ missing bolts and stuff like that. It's not in too bad a shape really, just was neglected some over the last few years.

BTW, it is a gas tractor, and doesn't suck it back too bad.:smoking:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Besides all of that are you getting better running it:D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You couldn't win for loosing today parts! I can definitely identify with days like that. It is scary when something works like it is supposed to isn't it? :D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yeah, Cheif, fer sure!! Some thing isn't right unless I get a bath in some type of petroleum product!!:lmao:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, runnning good for now( til I use it again:lmao: ). I just have to add about a pail of hydraulic fluid.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been to busy getting ready for the tractor show here, keeping up with parts orders, and trying to get a little seeding done. The weather has been ROTTEN!! It's been wet, raining or drizzling most days, and it rarely gets above 50 degrees F !

When I get chance to put 'er to work again, I'll try to get the missus to come take some pictures.;)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ya weather has absolutly SUCKED for the last 3 and a half weeks. Raining everyday. Oh well makes for some good wrenching weather. Hey parts tell me if you come across a farmall B if you can. Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probly cost more to truck a B from here than you could buy one for close by.;) Keep an eye in your classifieds, post a want add on some forum boards. Good luck, they're a neat little tractor.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yeah I agree, there was one at the local dealer here. The day I saw it is the day I feel in love with B's:loveit: Do you get many parts for B's? If I were to get one I'd most likely get parts through you.
Ryan

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup,, we got most every thing for a B. The power train inter-changes with an A, the only difference is the steering and the wider axles on the back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts