Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just went and picked over a pound of english peas from the ole' garden. Got about 4 plants growing up a small trellis and man is it producing well. Big healthy peapods full of yummy peas.
I needed to pick em off or I know the vines will stop producing at this rate. So, off they come! How nice it is to have food for your family. BTW, my carrots (24 Karat Hybrid variety) are growing in super nicely too! And my Cherry Red new potato plants are poking through the heavy mulch in my potato box! All in all this recent rain has REALLY kicked off my garden bigtime! This is my first year to ever grow carrots or potatos (new/red variety) so any hints, tips or advice would be helpful too! Just wanted to share this with you guys! :D

YUMMY YUMMY.
:homereat:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Can't beat sweet peas fresh from the garden. Straight to the stove before they lose some of their sugar content. Only bad thing is it seems to be a lot of work to shell them. Worth it though, once its on your plate.

No advice on the potatoes and carrots other than good luck and enjoy. :)

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My peas (english) are just now starting to make pods. I used to plant (actually had no choice because of the wife's insistence) black eyed purple hull peas as its a mainstay in the south, but personally I hate black eyed purple hulled peas. Give me sweet or english peas anyday.............On New Years its a tradition in this area to have pork and blackeyed purple hulls and thats one time to many in a year for that type pea.

Now snap beans, thats a different story. I could eat them every day. Same for the baby limas......don't get much better than fresh veggies out of ther garden.

My potatoes have been mulched over two times already and have some nice growth. Still have not poked in the dirt to check sizes, a there is still some time to go, but I can taste them now just thinking about it.

Corn is about hip high and doing fine.

Its not too bad shelling peas and beans. We usually pike a hamper full and just set out on the porch shelling them. Or th wife will have a big pot full on her lap and she is sort of like a machine when it comes to shelling them in no time while watching her soap operas.

·
674 Posts
Never tried peas, That might be something worth planting though. I usually stay with the easy stuff that cost alot at the store like tomatos & cucumbers.

This year it is a new garden, I tilled it up two weeks ago, it is nice black dirt and I was thinking of carrots. Been too wet to do anything else though. It is raining today as I write.

I like to plant crops together in my garden if I can. I plant raddishes and oinions with tomatos and once planted beans with my corn. Therefore the cornstalk was a bean pole.

Can you plant peas with other crops?

Wow! a pound from 4 plants seems like a good yield.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts