Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when buying the latest cat the owner asked if we were interested in any other old tractors he took us out and showed us this one and a jd a. add 2 more to the list of tractors to pic up

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
:smoking:

Man that Hart-Parr looks to be in good shape sheet~metal & appearance wise. Looks like 1 front tire might be turned out more than the other but that could be an illusion from the grass.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this ones a keeper it seems to be in fairly good shape for sitting outside the last 50 or so years heres the other side never noticed the front wheels crooked, good eye johnbron. will be picking it up next week will be able to tell for sure then

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
both wheels were turned and the steering shaft was seized in the holders. made for some interesting loading but we got it. had a couple snatch blocks so we could skid it sideways on the deck to keep it centered. its on the deck here dad is just resetting the winch line

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

took the steering box apart back in november and got it all freed up. put it back in and steered it into the shop, back in a corner on the unheated side. took the mag and oiler off and into the warm side. i went through the mag and now it has good hot spark oiler all seized up and soaking in pail of old deisel fuel. that brings us up to yesterday inbetween coats of paint on the mm z i got the head off and the connecting rods undone so i can lift the cylynders off. head has no cracks but needs 2 intake and 1 exhaust valve need to make those one of these days. going to shorten some jd d valves and turn a new keeper groove in them. thats about all for now will keep you posted on how things are going

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had all that typed above before i realized i clicked the wrong place to post pics and i didn't want to type that all again.
heres the cylynders ready to lift off

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
crankcase cover off and brg caps removed. brgs look like they are fairly new and crank measures good just needs rust polished off

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Looks like the cylinders are in the horizontal plane.
Does the spark plug really screw into the side of the
cylinder or is it just sitting there while you work on
the engine.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats the way it sits in the tractor. ran into a snag however the crank won't turn even with the rods undone and its in just the wrong spot. the rod won't get by it and out of the crankcase, so i'm going to have to try to get the piston to move ahead or the crank to turn. i think the clutch is seized and there is likely ice in the transmission not letting it turn. thats what i'm hoping anyway. it needs to come off to get the pistons out and fix the left side cylynder it is pitted real bad. if the piston is bad then cylynder gets bored and oversize piston put in if the piston is good i'll bore the cylynder and make a sleeve for it

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
I am amazed at how good the engine looks. I've never had a chance to work on anything close to being that old, and would have guessed that everything would be totally rusty. Your pics are kind of inspirational in showing the internals in such good shape. Thanks for documenting this for us.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
took cylynder in the shop and hung it from the hoist. put some kroil in the cylynders and within 1/2 hr one piston was out. rings are stuck but doesn't look like any are broke

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Just cant beat kroil for work like that. Glad to see your coming along with it .

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Looks like you need some heat in that garage. Is that frost on that motor??:eek:

That is one cool looking motor. That will be an intresting tractor to use I bet when your done.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the tractor is on the unheated side of the shop we just take off the parts and carry them into the heated part to work on yesterday made 30 degrees so it wasn't to bad working out there at all

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by bear
when buying the latest cat the owner asked if we were interested in any other old tractors he took us out and showed us this one and a jd a. add 2 more to the list of tractors to pic up
Are those road bands piled up to the right of the tractor Bear? Nice find! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
those are old diamond harrows to the right of the tractor i left them for the scrap man

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i've got the valves made and put the head together it ready to go on. finally got the other piston out yesterday let it soak overnight should be able to get the rings unstuck today and try to clean up the cylynders as best as possible then decide wether or not to bore it and put in a sleeve

1 - 20 of 28 Posts