Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
770 12v pos ground not charging. I am going to try some things with a different regulator, and swap from pos ground to neg ground. Here are the steps I think I need to do:>>>>> 1. disconnect battery,>>>>> 2. since this is a 770 with the multi-meter gauge change that to a Neg ground gauge. >>>> 3. swap wires at coil.>>>>> 4. Connect battery, connecting with neg ground, >>>>>5. Polarize by touching "A" terminal on gen. to "Bat" term on regulator. Then start and go. Does all this sound correct, and or in the correct order ?
Vehicle Green Motor vehicle Gas Auto part

·
Administrator
11,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum. They do sell direct replacement regulators. Is this tractor new to you? Just curious if it has the light switch that regulates the generator to charge full or half. My Cockshutt has that, but it is probably 20 years older!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a new regulator today, I had taken apart the generator earlier today, cleaned and buffed it up,, still did not work,,, I put the new regulator on, and it all works fine. I can still do the pos ground to neg ground conversion and keep the generator until it dies.

Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would still like to go from pos ground to neg ground. I think this is what needs to be done::::: 1. Disconnect battery. 2: Using the same coil, put neg. side of coil to distributor. 3. Change multi-meter to neg ground style. 4. Connect battery, with neg ground. Polarize generator [ my new regulator says it can be pos or neg ground ] Start tractor, all should be well ,,,,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About the fuel gauge,, the 770 has a multi-gauge,,, I purchased a neg ground gauge already,,,I guess my question was can a pos ground generator for 60 years,,,,, can it be converted to a neg ground generator, with a simple polarize touch,,,,,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts