Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea why my oliver 1655 is flowing gear lube out of the front wheel assist drop box. Its a steady stream of oil discharging from the vent of drop box. I recently split the tractor and opened this case up and it was all working fine and clean as a whistle.

Attachments

·
252 Posts
First that is a good looking ol Oliver.

As to the gear lube leak is the rear end over full or did that drop box have it's own fill and level plug?
I never owned a 55 series but my 1550 the rear end and hydraulic were separate and the rear end held about 8-10 gallons of gear lube, I did have the street elbow installed in mine to raise the level and 1 1/2" or so.
If the level in the rear is good, is there a seal between the drop box and the transmission.

Is that the pto drive shaft sticking out in your photos?
When I pulled the engine on my 1550 we pulled the pto drive out the rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gear lube and hydraulic are separate compartments and your right, the transmission takes about 8-10 gallons. There is no seal between the drop box and transmission. The oil is pumped the bearing races and it seems that this volume of oil cant return to the transmission fast enough. The vent is lower than the top input shaft so raising the vent with a street ell may work. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found out the issue thanks to The Tractor Doctor. There is a seal that failed on the input shift of the drop box. I ended up just running a drain line off the Dropbox vent back into the rear end. Thanks for your the post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts