Tractor Forum banner

Old Truck Facebook Page

74K views 1K replies 47 participants last post by  Bob Driver 
#1 · (Edited)
I love old pickup/work trucks. Even though I grew up during the muscle care era in the late 60's, I've always preferred pickup trucks. As a teenager back in the late 60's, all the guys I knew with a new camaro, mustang, or firebird were punk-ass rich kids and Daddy had bought them that awesome car. All the old farmers around me that I admired/respected were MEN and they could actually teach me something useful, give me a job, and they all drove pickup trucks. Maybe they got me to relating driving a pickup truck to becoming a man. In fact, I've just realized I haven't actually owned a car since I got out of the Army 45 years ago, so there may be some validity to that thought....

I stay in touch with some of my oldest friends on Facebook and today I came across a picture of a really nice looking old pickup. When I clicked on it, it took me to a FB page that features nothing but old trucks. I loved it and thought I'd share with some guys on this Forum that seem to love old trucks also. Here's the link and a picture of an unusual truck that is posted on that FB page as a teaser to the rest of the content and it's something you don't see every day. I wonder if that 1929 Colorado "Special Permit" has expired.....
FB Old Truck Page

1929 Model A Concrete Mixer Truck
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#423 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In their day they were quite innovative. some were cool, some where not, I suppose. A lot of unique features were developed in these cars. Like built in jacks and the ability to drive on three wheels if need be.
It may not be my cup of tea, but it ain't bad. I suspect way more comfortable than a lot of cars that were built on this side of the pond back in the day.

Charles de Gaulle was the victim of numerous assassination attempt's, but managed to get away in his Citroen DS Limo, they say that save the lives of he and his wife.

#425 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In their day they were quite innovative. some were cool, some where not, I suppose. A lot of unique features were developed in these cars. Like built in jacks and the ability to drive on three wheels if need be.
It may not be my cup of tea, but it ain't bad. I suspect way more comfortable than a lot of cars that were built on this side of the pond back in the day.

View attachment 86823

Charles de Gaulle was the victim of numerous assassination attempt's, but managed to get away in his Citroen DS Limo, they say that save the lives of he and his wife.
I agree on the cars not being attractive, but this the first time I've seen their truck. I wouldn't be ashamed to drive the top two versions. The chopped and lowered one on the bottom doesn't "do it" for me.
The Citreon while not pretty in the normal car sense, were functional, we had quite a few running around in this area in the day, and another novelty they had was the ability to raise and lower the vehicle height and do this while travelling.

Bob's first photo seems to be a sedan converted, the second I don't mind, better in black for my liking's and the 3rd photo, I agree with Joe.

I think I have mentioned this before, the Citreon and Renault brand was fairly popular here and the same for Peugeot.

#429 · (Edited)
Here is a pretty 1934 Ford at auction in NC
View attachment 86870

Your pickups seem to be different with the grill finish Joe!!, I have attached an Australian 34 Ford ute to compare, I am familiar with the 34 model that we had here, my Dad had the 4 door soft top and my uncle had a brand new 34 soft top ute, And my cousins grandfather owned the 34 V8 powered rumble seat model.

I am not knocking it Joe, just the differences.

#439 ·
I've brought it up several times and it's summer again...... I'm still thinking about restoring some kind of a vintage ice cream truck for festivals and parades. I'd love to find a Willys FJ-3. Post office ran them back in the mid-60's. They came stock with the 4-cyl Hurricane and had the same wheel base as a CJ5 ..... RH drive and a T90 Borg-Warner, although some of them did have automatics. If you look closely, the pink one below appears to be an automatic. Looks like they usually go from $2,500 to $5,000 on the internet depending condition. Where you going to find a P Van/Cube Van for that price with the same cool factor??

#440 ·
Gotta be close to 60 years ago, my Dad's parents would rent a house on the beach in CT during the summer. Someone had bought a Cushman 3 wheeler as shown below and used the front cargo box to sell ice cream out of. Obviously that one wasn't Olive drab, I seem to remember it was white with a bell that rang as he drove up and down the beach. I'm guessing that he kept the ice cream cold with a block of dry ice. I was about 7 years old and was only concerned that the ice cream or popsicle tasted good. Our Aunt Em always seemed to have a couple of quarters in her hand for my brother and me to buy a frosty cold treat.

Reactions: pogobill and FredM
#442 ·
YES!!!!!!!!!!! That top photo matches my 60 year old memory pretty good! I can almost taste the chocolate covered popcicle right now. Thank you Aunt Em!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you were still here.

Reactions: unsquidly
#443 ·
Here is another truck from July's auction in NC. A classic '60s Chevy! Too pretty to be an every day driver, but I liked that it has an 8 foot bed. Description says it has a ZZ502 engine, not sure what that is, but it sure fills up the engine bay!

#446 ·
Here is a '56 Ford truck from the same auction. The tires look really small to my eye. Not sure if they are right or not
View attachment 86963

View attachment 86964

View attachment 86965

View attachment 86966

View attachment 86967
You are right Joe, looks like 14 inch instead 16 inch, I can remember when I was a young bloke and saw my first F100, I had to have one because I liked the style, but it never happened, and I still like the model F100 and the F150 to this day.

#449 · (Edited)
I really loved that old '67 F100 I had in Colorado, it was exactly what I needed at that point in my life..... However, yesterday I realized it has now been replaced as my all time favorite vehicle. It's about 50 yards down a short but fairly steep hill to the big shop. Downhill in the morning is not bad, I'm full of ambition and my morning coffee. It's back up to the house at the end of the day that feels like climbing Pikes Peak.

Here's my new all time favorite vehicle, apparently it is exactly what I need at this point in my life, especially now that it's started hitting the 90's again here in MS with the onset of Summer. I got it in a barter deal with a customer for a $200 invoice. Apparently $200 is my sweet spot for obtaining vehicles I use the hell out of at crtitical points in my life:cool:

1985 EZ Go Marathon

#458 · (Edited)
One of my most influential mentors when I was a kid worked as master machinist in the experimental department of Allison Aircraft. They turned out some pretty impressive stuff over the years.... He made an entire 1/4" to 1" combination wrench set out of Titanium. I always kidded him about it and said "That wrench set cost Allison $10,000 just because they couldn't keep you busy and the union work rules wouldn't let you sweep the floor":cool:

Allison V-1710
Gas Auto part Engineering Machine Nut

#467 · (Edited)
I've spent a great portion of my life working in a shop, but I really enjoyed working outdoors in Colorado...... Here's what June 2023 looks like in some parts of Colorado

Corkscrew Gulch ...... Engineer Pass, Ouray County, Colorado (12,800' ASL)...... First photo was taken last week, 2nd photo is what it often looks like on the Pass around 4th of July

Tire Car Wheel Sky Automotive tire

Sky Water Cloud Mountain Snow

#468 · (Edited)
Most people don't know that the Lincoln car company came about because of an engine. Henry Leland developed the famous V-12 "liberty engine" for airplanes back in WW1. After the war, he started the Lincoln Motor Car Company. Lincoln was the last US car maker to offer a V-12 engine with the 1948 model year......

Henry Leland is on the far left displaying the 6,500th Liberty made. At the time, this was considered one of the most advanced engines available with overhead cams, aluminum crankcase, liquid cooling, 45 degree cylinder angle, and 1,649 cubic inches produced around 400Hp

1918 V-12 Liberty Engine

Hat Motor vehicle Headgear Military uniform Military person

These boys are about to get serious with a couple of V-12's
Photograph Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire