Tractor Forum banner
241 - 260 of 271 Posts

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
That question wasn't aimed at you Bob, I just posed it to see if I would get any bites from others that may read your primary post.

You are in front with those steam traction engines you mentioned, I can only see these on youtube, the closest would have been a heavy steam roller that our city council owned back in the late 40's era.

Now Baldwin made the Shay, Hmm!! and many other great steam locomotives.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 · (Edited)
That question wasn't aimed at you Bob, I just posed it to see if I would get any bites from others that may read your primary post.

You are in front with those steam traction engines you mentioned, I can only see these on youtube, the closest would have been a heavy steam roller that our city council owned back in the late 40's era.

Now Baldwin made the Shay, Hmm!! and many other great steam locomotives.
My understanding has always been that Baldwin and Shay were built by two different companies. Sorta like the Ford and GM of steam locomotives. Baldwins were built in Philadelphia by Baldwin. Shays were built in Lima, Ohio by Lima Locomotive Works. The crazy old man that introduced me to steam power as a kid taught me to "Look for Philadelphia, or Lima" to tell them apart. With Shays, I always looked for the triangle shaped brass tag of Lima Locomotive Works

Wood Triangle Font Symmetry Circle

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
My understanding has always been that Baldwin and Shay were built by two different companies. Sorta like the Ford and GM of steam locomotives. Baldwins were built in Philadelphia by Baldwin. Shays were built in Lima, Ohio by Lima Locomotive Works. The crazy old man that introduced me to steam power as a kid taught me to "Look for Philadelphia, or Lima" to tell them apart. With Shays, I always looked for the triangle shaped brass tag of Lima Locomotive Works

View attachment 84516
Well I shot myself in the foot big time, of course it was Lima that built the Shay geared locomotives, I have two working models of the 3 truck, plus a two truck and 3 truck of the Climax and two models of the two truck Heisler, so it was a brain fart to think Baldwin made the Shay, they did however attempt to come into the geared copies of the Shay and Climax, but not the Heisler.

Sorry Bob.

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Although there was a Nash agency here in this town, I cannot say if I have seen the model you have displayed, the model displayed having a very distinctive front end and the tray is different to what we had running around here at the time, there may have been sedans, but, I can't recall seeing any, we had GM, Ford, and other U.S. built vehicles running here plus many British brands also.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Our Coupe Utility's mostly had a styleside body as shown for this 1939 Chevy and in the mid 50's I owned one, and was something I should have never went into, long story.

But mostly when the Styleside rusted bad enough, the rear was removed and a tray was built and that is what is mainly used here today, of course the tray eventually went to the dropside tray.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Wood Motor vehicle

The tray is built on an 1927 Chevy.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
OK Bill, this one is for you....... '37 Diamond T (Cadillac of trucks) that spent it's life hauling Beer!!! That's like the "emotional support dog" of work trucks to you guys up there in the Great White North:cool:

Vintage Canadian Emotional Support Truck

View attachment 84525
Thats a sad for Bill to look at Bob!!, I guess it would be a doer upper because the metal looks solid and a fair amount of time and devotion would be required for a resto.

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Looks like a Chain drive Bulldog Mack hard at work probably around a 100 years ago

View attachment 84526
As much as I would like to research the old Mack, I don't think I will after researching the old Ford mixer truck in the original post, but I am still curious as to how the blade was raised and lowered, I can see the wheel above the bonnet but the right hand side of the cab seems to be closed off and I was thinking it may have been a 2 man job.

Must have worked well for the time period.(y)

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 · (Edited)
Well I shot myself in the foot big time, of course it was Lima that built the Shay geared locomotives, I have two working models of the 3 truck, plus a two truck and 3 truck of the Climax and two models of the two truck Heisler, so it was a brain fart to think Baldwin made the Shay, they did however attempt to come into the geared copies of the Shay and Climax, but not the Heisler.

Sorry Bob.
Here Fred, watch this, it'll make you feel better although it wasn't built by either Baldwin or Lima Locomotive...... Starting in 1941 by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) at its Schenectady Locomotive Works, Schenectady NY....... U.P. eventually had 25 of them operating by 1944 pulling heavy freight for the war effort

U.P. 4014 Big Boy

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Actually I watched with baited breath all those years ago when I heard rumours of restoring a Big Boy, I searched the web at least once a week looking for information when and if this may happen, even had my model railroad mates keeping an eye out, and the day came when it was shown on YT the removal the Big Boy from sitting in a display area and then on to the UP workshop for restoration, it was always my dream to get over and actually see this loco in steam,
age related problems between my wife and I stopped that.

When I watched your video I thought there were two Big Boys because of the steam blowby, but it was a Northern 4-8-4, and this is another favourite loco of mine, good for 4000 HP, aggressive, powerful and fast.

Thanks for the video.

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

We had one of these here in the 50's, and there were quite a lot of this front style vehicles at the time, lots of Ford Mercury's, chevy's, so for me to notice a Nash as mentioned in a previous thread would be a bit hard to define when I was a Ford and GM bloke.

The bloke that owned this at the time modded it a bit by replacing the rear tail light assemblies with longer units, not sure what they come off, but looked early ford, picture tail lights about a foot long, looked silly at the time, the bloke also removed the V12 SV and fitted a V8 SV, don't really know what happened to that vehicle neither.

241 - 260 of 271 Posts