Tractor Forum banner
221 - 240 of 271 Posts

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
You must have read my mind Bob, been thinking of posting about the Toyota for the last few days, these are a great vehicle, mechanically very sound and reliable, -- well up to the beginning of the nineties being the last I had dealings with the models, cab room wasn't the best with the middle person having to wrap his legs either side of the gear and hi/lo shifts, but as a 2 person ute, was great.

I bought a 60's era model that had had a hard life and with somehow in it life getting the front diff banjo bent (the diff assembly) a motorcycle racing engineer friend straightened this for me, at a cost naturally, and I replaced a lot of the vehicle's mechanical's needed for road worthy, I could never get the gear box to stop its little whine after replacing the cluster gear, bearings etc, I pulled that box apart a few times, but in the end, I had to live with the whine.

The model I had was a 40 series I think, 6 cylinder petrol, about 3.9litres and 93kW's of power, 3 speed manual box and high low 4WD setup, the engine reminded me of the early Chevvy 6's or the early side plate engines used in our GM Holdens, sometime in its life, someone fitted a Holden Stromberg carby to the manifold, while this gave good fuel economy, the top end was a bit slow in pickup, not that that worried me because the vehicle did what it was supposed to, travelled to a lot of places on weekend camping trips and never had a bother apart from one time after I pulled the cylinder head and Toyota sold me the wrong gasket and I had a boiling problem on a trip, got to the destination and back home ok, just a little slower in speed to not overheat the engine.

Have attached a before and after photo of the cruiser, eventually removed the drop side body and got hold of a well type body to set up for camping in the 70's era.

Nothing will ever beat the Jeep for a 4WD vehicle, that is the most versatile vehicle going for working boggy ground, the Land Rover comes second with the Cruiser coming in at third, that is just my choice from experience.

A bit long winded Bob, but I answered your statement.(y)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
You must have read my mind Bob, been thinking of posting about the Toyota for the last few days, these are a great vehicle, mechanically very sound and reliable, -- well up to the beginning of the nineties being the last I had dealings with the models, cab room wasn't the best with the middle person having to wrap his legs either side of the gear and hi/lo shifts, but as a 2 person ute, was great.

I bought a 60's era model that had had a hard life and with somehow in it life getting the front diff banjo bent (the diff assembly) a motorcycle racing engineer friend straightened this for me, at a cost naturally, and I replaced a lot of the vehicle's mechanical's needed for road worthy, I could never get the gear box to stop its little whine after replacing the cluster gear, bearings etc, I pulled that box apart a few times, but in the end, I had to live with the whine.

The model I had was a 40 series I think, 6 cylinder petrol, about 3.9litres and 93kW's of power, 3 speed manual box and high low 4WD setup, the engine reminded me of the early Chevvy 6's or the early side plate engines used in our GM Holdens, sometime in its life, someone fitted a Holden Stromberg carby to the manifold, while this gave good fuel economy, the top end was a bit slow in pickup, not that that worried me because the vehicle did what it was supposed to, travelled to a lot of places on weekend camping trips and never had a bother apart from one time after I pulled the cylinder head and Toyota sold me the wrong gasket and I had a boiling problem on a trip, got to the destination and back home ok, just a little slower in speed to not overheat the engine.

Have attached a before and after photo of the cruiser, eventually removed the drop side body and got hold of a well type body to set up for camping in the 70's era.

Nothing will ever beat the Jeep for a 4WD vehicle, that is the most versatile vehicle going for working boggy ground, the Land Rover comes second with the Cruiser coming in at third, that is just my choice from experience.

A bit long winded Bob, but I answered your statement.(y)

View attachment 84399
I knew you would be the guy..... Thanks for sharing that information and those photos are great

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
No offense intended to any one, but I came across this photo with several elements of my vision of Heaven, so I thought I'd share......

Round-top Dodge Power Wagon, 473 model Willys Pickup, E-series Studebaker Pickup , all parked side-by-side with some high desert/mountain scenery as a backdrop, and they all need some love..... I sure the Snap-on man still comes around in Heaven and gives me a 90% "frequent flyer discount", because I sure have condemned a lot of Harbor Freight tools to Hell:cool:

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Combat vehicle Mode of transport

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 · (Edited)
Now that's when manufacturers wanted to be different and innovative. Not like today when you can tell one vehicle from another!
Yep.... I still can't get the idea of a vintage ice cream truck for parades/car shows out of my head and this would make a good one.... Big circle of people standing around taking selfies with this in the back ground and me selling those $3 ice cream bars, that cost $.50 wholesale, and the IRS doesn't have a clue:cool:

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
A good idea Bob, some nice scenery changes from the different locales on parade days, but!! how would you cover your paper trail from point of bulk supply?.😕

Same way I used to obtain liquor when I was underage, except this time it would be bribing a 14 year old kid with cash into going into Walmart to buy a case of Ice cream bars, rather than 40 year old boozer going in to buy a quart of cheap bourbon at the Liquor store. Walmart is the same as the Liquor store, one way in -- one way out. All cash transaction and buying "fudgies" is not illegal

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Amazing old machine Bob, there are YT videos of this type of steam logger, that poor bloke up front did the steering and I wonder how he didn't freeze his b***s off when working in the winters, while the blokes in the cab had the heater, and all they did was feed the boiler, and look after the motion lever and throttle.

When you look at the photo, do you notice anything odd or missing on the loco boiler?.

You have to admit, steam was fairly adaptable.

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
There are no sand domes on the boiler, not needed, mostly stationary steam engines and steam traction engines had the ball governor, steam locomotives didn't use them as the steam output was controlled by the hand lever which was quick acting on shutoff or open for steam supply.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Steam tractors like Case, Advance-Rumely, Aultman, and Waterloo are what I saw as a kid going to antique power shows in Indiana. I know very little about steam locomotives, only enough to not be completely ignorant. On a good day, I could maybe tell the difference between a Baldwin and a Shay.......

221 - 240 of 271 Posts