Tractor Forum banner
201 - 220 of 271 Posts

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Sure that's easy....... Lets go with the one my idiot brother bought with the money he had saved up from the Army. He had a choice between 1971 Dodge Challenger, with the Hemi & 4-speed, was 4 years old at the time, and had 20,000 miles, or this "Chick Magnet" beauty brand new....... His was exactly the same color as the one below and he actually paid cash for it:rolleyes:

View attachment 83856
Pardon my ignorance Bob, but what is the brand?, haven't seen anything like that, but a nice iridescent green or candy apple red or Mazda's soul red would certainly improve it.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 · (Edited)
Maybe you're right..... your brother did buy a chick magnet! LOL

View attachment 83861
Hey, I think I went to HS with her..... She ended up extremely wealthy as a housekeeper. Married 4 times and managed to keep the house in all the divorce settlements. Last I heard, she was dating a Family Court judge;)

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
AMC (Rambler) Gremlin....
A Gremlin was brought over as a concept and for evaluation by AMI motors, an Australian mob that assembled imported motor vehicles at the time, the photo of the Gremlin shows this to be converted to RHD, and the story says the car was returned to the States around 2012 for resto, seems like this car may be still in OZ, -- and in place of the Gremlin, we had Rambler Hornets which was the front of the Gremlin to the B pillar post and you would know the models, the Hornets were assembled in OZ by AMI as mentioned.

I have probably seen the models here but can't bring these into memory.

Attached the story if interested.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
A Gremlin was brought over as a concept and for evaluation by AMI motors, an Australian mob that assembled imported motor vehicles at the time, the photo of the Gremlin shows this to be converted to RHD, and the story says the car was returned to the States around 2012 for resto, seems like this car may be still in OZ, -- and in place of the Gremlin, we had Rambler Hornets which was the front of the Gremlin to the B pillar post and you would know the models, the Hornets were assembled in OZ by AMI as mentioned.

I have probably seen the models here but can't bring these into memory.

Attached the story if interested.

That's pretty interesting reading Fred.... Thanks for sharing that

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
The seller on Craigslist said it runs fine and all it would need is to fabricate some motor mounts and the exhaust should fit up fine in a '62 Ford Galaxie ..... But I was leery because he had it listed in the Tupelo MS Craigslist, but had a New Jersey cell pone #:unsure:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Window

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 · (Edited)
It's kind of funny what some guys think their vintage truck is worth. There are those that are wanting to turn it into their 401K and there are those that appear to not realize that it's worth way more than what they are asking. I look at what it is and the current condition. There are so many Fords, Chevy, and Dodges around that no matter what year, they are not all that special to me. I grew up in Indiana, so the one that was really common to see when I was a kid was a Studebaker. I guess that's because they were made 100 miles away in South Bend. I've always like Studebaker trucks, and when you go to the local car shows around here, you'd more than likely have the only one in the show

Here's a really nice 1950 that has survived the last 72 years really well. It's one of those rare finds where within a week or two, and with very little additional $$$ outlay, you could turn this one into a daily driver. The price is more than reasonable at $6,500 for the condition. This is exactly what a guy would want to come across and it be only a couple of miles from your house. You'd end up with a unique daily driver heirloom truck to pass down for probably less than $7,500.

1950 Studebaker

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive tire

· Premium Member
3,207 Posts
It's kind of funny what some guys think their vintage truck is worth. There are those that are wanting to turn it into their 401K and there are those that appear to not realize that it's worth way more than what they are asking. I look at what it is and the current condition. There are so many Fords, Chevy, and Dodges around that no matter what year, they are not all that special to me. I grew up in Indiana, so the one that was really common to see when I was a kid was a Studebaker. I guess that's because they were made 100 miles away in South Bend. I've always like Studebaker trucks, and when you go to the local car shows around here, you'll more than likely have the only one in the show

Here's a really nice 1950 that has survived the last 72 years really well. It's one of those rare finds where within a week or two, and with very little additional $$$ outlay, you could turn this one into a daily driver. The price is more than reasonable at $6,500 for the condition. This is exactly what a guy would want to come across and it be only a couple of miles from your house. You'd end up with a unique daily driver heirloom truck to pass down for probably less than $7,500.

1950 Studebaker

View attachment 83967
I can see what you mean, solid old girl and everything there, panel and paint and she's apples.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 · (Edited)
I can see what you mean, solid old girl and everything there, panel and paint and she's apples.
The latest thing here for younger guys is a "Run it, Like you found it" daily driver. This one must have gotten separated from it's original hood, the front and side hood badges are missing. I'm normally not real keen about swapping V-8's into where a vintage in-line 6 came, but if I was going to have one, a Ford 302 would be my choice.

I'm sure you can get You Tube in OZ.... I have your ever come across "Vice Grip Garage"?? It's about this younger guy (to us) that goes around buying old cars/trucks on-line that have been sitting in a field for decades. He'll then try to get them running, on the spot they've been sitting, and then drive them several hundred miles back home. He's got dozens of videos on You Tube that are really entertaining (at least to me).

Here's one of my favorites where's he's trying to bring back to life a 1925 Studebaker that was a former hearse. He fails on this one, but most of the time it's just as interesting to watch what he has to go through to actually drive the car/truck 300-500 miles back home. Kid came down for Christmas to help finish the Bronco, but it was way to cold to work in the garage, so we binge watched Vice Grip Garage for 4 days. We always talk about old cars/trucks/motorcycles when we get to together and have since he was 10, it was a great Christmas.... If you've not seen Vice Grip, I think you'll really enjoy it

Vice Grip Garage 1925 Studebaker Hearse

Here's one with an International Scout with a Nissann Turbo Diesel where he gets it running and drives it 500 miles home

Vice Grip Scout Diesel

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
I think you'd be the talk of the car show with that rig! Looks great for local shows.... a bit rough I wonder, on the highway?
That ramp truck would sure get attention, but maybe not what you'd expect down here any way. I can just hear some A--hole say........ "Is that a OEM, or did you just strip the tin roof off a lean-to chicken coop and build it?":)

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
You can get in a lot of arguments about what was the #1 selling vehicle of all time world wide. A lot of people think it was one of these two.....

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Hood
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

The correct answer is the Toyota Corolla at 37.5 million, followed by the Ford F-series pickup at 35 million. The U.S. production plant for the Corolla sits about a mile, as a crow flies, from where I'm typing this thread

201 - 220 of 271 Posts