Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love old pickup/work trucks. Even though I grew up during the muscle care era in the late 60's, I've always preferred pickup trucks. As a teenager back in the late 60's, all the guys I knew with a new camaro, mustang, or firebird were punk-ass rich kids and Daddy had bought them that awesome car. All the old farmers around me that I admired/respected were MEN and they could actually teach me something useful, give me a job, and they all drove pickup trucks. Maybe they got me to relating driving a pickup truck to becoming a man. In fact, I've just realized I haven't actually owned a car since I got out of the Army 45 years ago, so there may be some validity to that thought....

I stay in touch with some of my oldest friends on Facebook and today I came across a picture of a really nice looking old pickup. When I clicked on it, it took me to a FB page that features nothing but old trucks. I loved it and thought I'd share with some guys on this Forum that seem to love old trucks also. Here's the link and a picture of an unusual truck that is posted on that FB page as a teaser to the rest of the content and it's something you don't see every day. I wonder if that 1929 Colorado "Special Permit" has expired.....
FB Old Truck Page

1929 Model A Concrete Mixer Truck
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
That is a magic "A", I wonder if they added another gearbox/ transmission to get more reduction in the drive line?, the old girl would have been pulling some weight loaded.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I'd like to get on a creeper and see how they set up those tandem rear axles
I agree, could only be one of three setups, tandem drive, pusher lazy axle or a lazy trailing axle.

I lightened the photo a bit, seems to have the standard cross spring setup on the rear axle and I cant see any A frames, just a shame that there is not some software that could lay the old girl on her side, then we could see what mods where done.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Even the mixer drive setup has some interest.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here you are Bob, finally brought this up and no need for a creeper, those oldies were fairly advanced for the time period.
Thanks for posting that Fred.... Very Interesting reading. The rear spring setup reminds me of the legendary Mack "camel back suspension". Continued research with what you provided led me to read where you could also order that Warford tandem-axle set up for a Model A truck with Ruckstell "worm-drive" differentials, rather than traditional ring & pinion. It wouldn't go very fast, but it would go anywhere

Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal Automotive tire

Font Parallel Slope Schematic Engineering

Gear Wheel Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I am familiar with the worm drive, never worked on one though, that is a nice breakdown you have attached.

What I am really interested in is that drive setup for the mixer, the single cylinder seems to be driving a compressor or 2 cylinder water pump, there is a grease cup or what looks like a grease cup on the closest cylinder?? and that brass trumpet on the opposite cylinder?? is strange, could it be for priming the pump??.

The photo is in the modern era going by the clothing and the drink cup sitting on the bed behind the cab, so I will keep digging.

I think those mudguards rule out the Warford Sextette system on the "A" in your photo, there is no cutouts for the suspension system to fit there.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Just increased the "A" photo size again and I see another engine on the LH side of the bed, this would be the drive for the bowl, I think it will be a hard task if not impossible to find any info on this Model "A" tandem, even though the photo is recent, possibly in the last 20 years or even less.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always thought Studebaker made a good looking pickup truck. Grew up in Indiana, so a lot of the old farmers around me had them since they were built in South Bend. Old man down the road had a M5. Not as nice as this one, but I thought it was cool. I copied the bed racks in this picture to make the ones for the kids 48' Willys

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
989 Posts
I may be wrong but the link to the Model AA sure seems to have heavier duty hubs and the mating of fenders and spacing seems off. If I were a gambler, I’d bet this was a shop modified truck at the old concrete business. Wheels also seem light for what I’d except on the factory AA….again, I may be off base but makes me wanna look under the skirt even more.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I think those mudguards rule out the Warford Sextette system on the "A" in your photo, there is no cutouts for the suspension system to fit there.
I may be wrong but the link to the Model AA sure seems to have heavier duty hubs and the mating of fenders and spacing seems off. If I were a gambler, I’d bet this was a shop modified truck at the old concrete business. Wheels also seem light for what I’d except on the factory AA….again, I may be off base but makes me wanna look under the skirt even more.
Already quoted that in post #9, and as you state, a workshop mod, I cannot find that A and not for want of trying, I did find a few Ford A A's with tandem rear with wire spoke wheels though, and looks to be a Warford rear, not the best photo.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Truck

·
Registered
989 Posts
Already quoted that in post #9, and as you state, a workshop mod, I cannot find that A and not for want of trying, I did find a few Ford A A's with tandem rear with wire spoke wheels though, and looks to be a Warford rear, not the best photo.

View attachment 76808
I missed that…also seems the spokes are lighter duty in the mod truck as compared to the truck in your post.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I missed that…also seems the spokes are lighter duty in the mod truck as compared to the truck in your post.
A lot of searching for little result, there has to be information on the model A concrete truck out there somewhere, there is supposed to be a tandem ford in a Museum in I think Gilmore, don't quote me on that until I make sure.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts