Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I picked this mower up. It has spark and getting gas. Just wont fire. Just turns over. Anyone no what the problem might be? I shot some starting fluid in and still nothing. Im stumped. Haha

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Howdy Jprin, welcome to the tractor forum.

If you are certain that you have spark, gas, and air to the engine, I would do a compression check.

·
96 Posts
Not necessarily. You could have a stuck or carboned up valve. Bad head gasket could also be the problem. Easiest thing would be to take the head off and see what the internals look like.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Are you sure you're getting spark on both plugs? The YT16s ran a Briggs 402707 opposed-twin. It has a unique ignition, in that both spark plugs run off the same magneto with two seperate spark plug leads (It's called a "lost spark" system). It's not uncommon for one side to fire and the other not, even though they're running off the same mag/timing point. If the compression is down a little, it won't start if it's firing on just one side. Check the manuals section of this forum, I'm pretty sure I've posted the Factory Service Manual for the "Briggs Opposed Twins". Of all the Ford Lawn Tractors, the YT16 are the most sought after by collectors because that opposed twin is one of the best engines Briggs ever made. The tractor was actually made by Gilson and they built great machines. You have something worth the effort to get running. That magneto can be bought aftermarket for around $20
Amazon.com : The ROP Shop Compatible Ignition Coil Replacement for Briggs & Stratton 402707 402777 404417 404437 404447 : Garden & Outdoor

They built two different versions of the YT16. Yours came with a 402707 engine and had a Peerless 5-1 gear transmission. The YT16H came with a 402707 engine, but had an Eaton hydrostatic transmission. Eaton 700 from 84-89, Eaton 850 from 89-91. The 89-91's with Eaton 850 are considered the best by collectors.

Noticed no deck in the photo.... Don't recall on the YT16's, but the earlier Ford GT's came with aluminum decks. They were prone to cracking and have long since been sold for scrap weight. A working deck for the Ford 100's, 120's, and 140's can go for $300+ if you can find one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts