Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found have found what I believe is a Bolens Husky 1050 based on pictures I have scoured online. I am intrigued to know more about bringing this tractor back to life but need to know more before heading on this venture. I have not done anything like this before, I am not opposed to trying it with guidance and good information. Any help in appreciated in gauging the mountain I may end up climbing....

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
749 Posts
Welcome Soren,
If you scroll to the top of this page, you will see a heading labeled Manuals. In there you will find a 1050 operations manual and a parts list. This may help in your decision to embark on a project that will likely take a lot of your spare time until you get it back to the restored machine that you want. The Bolens bug is easy to catch and hard to shake off. The older ones like this are a powerhouse compared to the light duty machines being manufactured today. They make great garden tractors. If you can pick it up for the right price you may have something there. Remember, someone left it up in the woods because it had a problem. If the engine is not rebuildable this could be more expensive. I have one just like it and one day I hope to finish it. :(never enough time!

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum Søren Schamberg. Looks like you have a great project there, and already have some great advise from bbirder. Good luck and keep us posted on the rebuild, if you decide to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Soren,
If you scroll to the top of this page, you will see a heading labeled Manuals. In there you will find a 1050 operations manual and a parts list. This may help in your decision to embark on a project that will likely take a lot of your spare time until you get it back to the restored machine that you want. The Bolens bug is easy to catch and hard to shake off. The older ones like this are a powerhouse compared to the light duty machines being manufactured today. They make great garden tractors. If you can pick it up for the right price you may have something there. Remember, someone left it up in the woods because it had a problem. If the engine is not rebuildable this could be more expensive. I have one just like it and one day I hope to finish it. :(never enough time!

Thanks For the direction BBirder. It turns out there is also a Bolens 1453 there too so two Bolens yo choose from .... If I understand you correctly, if I can’t hand crank the engine over then it may be better to sell rather than repair? Is there a model from these two that are easier to find parts for?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
749 Posts
All the parts are available altho you might have to get reclaimed or used parts. Depending on how original you want it, you may be able to retrofit a harbor Freight engine. The original is a 10hp Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Really cool find.... I've been collecting/restoring garden tractors since the early 90's (wife calls it "hoarding rusty junk") You can't go wrong with restoring a 60's Bolens. The challenge with either of those machines is the engines... Parts are tough to find.

As bbirder said, the 1050 should have a 10HP Wisconsin. They actually used two different Wisconsin engines, TR-10D, and the TRA-10D. The TR10D was only used in the first year of production on the 1050 (1966). TRA-10D was used from 67-69. The difference is the TRA has a slightly longer stroke. Either model # Wisconsin engine is worth $300-$400 for parts alone to a serious collector. If they run good and don't smoke .... $500 +

The 1452 (G14) usually came with the HH140 (14HP) Tecumseh. The engine parts are easier to find for the Tecumseh than the Wisconsin.

To a serious collector, the 1050 is more sought after, because it's older and has the Wisconsin engine.

Here's a link to Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine. They are like Hemmings Magazine is to vintage car guys. It's a great place to find hard to find parts for either one of those machines. Take a look and you'll see how big the following is among collectors for the old Bolens machines. Click on the link to go to their web site and then click on the "Sample Magazine" to see all what's in a normal edition. Take a peak at the 3-wheeled McClean on the last page of the classifieds. You could search CL forever and not find one of those....

http://www.lagtmag.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
From the pictures, it looks like it has a Tecumseh engine, which would make it a model# G-10, also known as 1055. The tag on the motor would be stamped "HH100", which would make it a 10 HP model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your input Dan, that’s is very helpful. I must say I believe I will be in over my head, any idea the best way to go about selling it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the parts are available altho you might have to get reclaimed or used parts. Depending on how original you want it, you may be able to retrofit a harbor Freight engine. The original is a 10hp Wisconsin.
So it would seem that I am in over my head on this project. Any input on the best way to go about selling it?

·
Super Moderator
9,415 Posts
Go to the "Classifieds" thread here on the forum, and start a new post . Post your pictures and do a little write up for starters. Remember, don't embellish it too much, as you've already told us about the tractor!!o_O

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go to the "Classifieds" thread here on the forum, and start a new post . Post your pictures and do a little write up for starters. Remember, don't embellish it too much, as you've already told us about the tractor!!o_O
of course no embellishments! I would hate to drive somewhere myself just to find out it wasn’t as advertised. Only honesty and sincerity here.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
If the frame is 2 round tubes read the plate on the one on the driver's side.
If it says "Model1050-2,"it's a 1969 1050. A kohler K301 works nicely,on these old Bolens,as does the Tecumseh,or ,even a B/S .
I have a 1969 1050,.with a Briggs twin,in it.....I only use it for working,not mowing.
Just because you can't turn the engine ,by hand,doesn't mean the engine is bad.
Many parts are still available ,for them,from Sam's Bolens,so all you have to decide is : is the price good,and do I want to restore it ,or USE it ?
By the way,...I have the parts manual for these.

Reactions: pogobill

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
It's on the frame tube,just in front of the foot pad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts