Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't its just for a ATV. As long as you can weld it good enough all an axle is is a pipe with spindles welded to the end. Heavy wall pipe some cheaper made axles are made out of square tubing.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Clamp a piece of angle iron to the two pieces before you weld them to align the halves perfectly straight. We did the same thing with an old mobil home axle for my tractor firewood trailer.

·
674 Posts
I never saw a boat with an axel :furious:

Really though, boat trailers are a great starting point for a trailer project. Especially if it has a leaf spring setup. I would like to find a boat trailer to build a utility trailer. It is unreal the prices for trailers from places like Lowes.:homereat:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Ed, I don't know if you have a Tractor Supply near you, but they have some REAL good prices on smaller trailers. At least for my area.

FM,
Now is this a trailer to HOLD an ATV, or one to tow behind one? If it's to carry the ATV, do you realy need to shorten it? You never know that else you may need to carry with it, a little wider deck can't hurt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree Ingersoll. A little extra space on an atv trailer, or any for that matter is always good. It seems that if I am going on an overnight atv/camping trip I can always use extra room for gas cans, tents, coolers, etc.

coal_man

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no its just going to be one to pull behind a atv so it needs to be kinda small as I will be using it in some woods by my cabin

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
no its just going to be one to pull behind a atv so it needs to be kinda small as I will be using it in some woods by my cabin

OH, OK well cut away:D

Lots of good info already. but here you go. Make sure your cuts are REAL squair. The angle idea is a REAL good one. I have heard that one a lot. If your not sure of the quilty of your butt welds, after you do them weld a peice of angle over the joint, or eaven better if it is a tube, find another piece of tube that just fits over it, and make a sleave over your butt weld.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
If you can get the axle on the band saw; sounds like a winner to me. Should make a nice clean, straight cut which will make rewelding it much easier. Measure 3 times and cut once! :D Are you planning on fenders or having the trailer platform over the tires?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the hitch on my fourwheeler is fairly low so i figured have the wheels to the side to make it level. Didnt think of fenders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts