Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help with an old 8n tractor that was my great grandpa's.....started working on it and couldn't get it to run so dropped it off with a guy to fix it and he can't figure out what is wrong with it. Originally had not point connection, he fixed that. Didn't have enough compression, had a lot of carbon build up so he cleaned that out.....compression is restored. Cleaned the fuel tank out, replaced the coil selunoid and the spark plugs. Can't figure out what is wrong with it, guy says he still cant get it to crank.....any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
First, welcome.
Now to your questions:
1. Do you have spark? Take a plug wire off pull a spark plug and crank it while holding the plug and wire with a pair of insulated pliers against the block. One end of the spark plug is hooked to the plug wire, the other end is against the block, and you should see a blue spark in the plug gap.
2. Do you have fuel getting to and through the carb?
3. Is it timed correctly?
4. Caution: This tractor was originally 6-volt, and positive ground. Don't hook up a 12V battery.
5. Strongly suggest getting an operators manual, and a parts manual for your tractor.
6. There is a lot of information on these tractors, both in this and other forums, articles, and on videos/you tube, etc. do a search for the type of tractor and whatever you're interested in. For example, there are great videos on rebuilding the carb, or the hydraulic pump.

Best of luck, we are interested in seeing pictures of your project.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The beauty is there is no computer.

Follow the above steps.^^^^^^^^ Ford xxx posted
1 spark
2 fuel...there is a drain bolt on bottom of carb.
3 6v pos ground.........they will run the other way but that confuses generator if its still good.

figure out 1-3 and report

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that I'm not sure of is if it is getting fuel....it does have spark. I'm wondering if there is a issue with the carburetor or the fuel line going to the carb..... the tractor attempts to start but just can't quite turn over.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does the fuel tank still have the Glass bowl under it with the round knob??

1 turn out is "ON"

to get to the fuel at bottom of tank...Open knob all the way ...Several turns.

Clean the knob...directions are stamped on it.

There is a Brass elbow on carb where Gas enters.

On the back of that elbow is a Screen.

Be very carefull if you mess with this as you can wreck that elbow super easy and fuel line Will NOT re connect.

Pull glass bowl from under tank and clean.
While its off ...open valve ...With a catch can under that area and be sure there is gas flow.

Fire ext. handy would be a great idea.

Should be a metal fuel line from Glass bowl ...to Carb.
No rubber...No fuel filter...all down hill..Its gravity fed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the fuel tank still have the Glass bowl under it with the round knob??

1 turn out is "ON"

to get to the fuel at bottom of tank...Open knob all the way ...Several turns.

Clean the knob...directions are stamped on it.

There is a Brass elbow on carb where Gas enters.

On the back of that elbow is a Screen.

Be very carefull if you mess with this as you can wreck that elbow super easy and fuel line Will NOT re connect.

Pull glass bowl from under tank and clean.
While its off ...open valve ...With a catch can under that area and be sure there is gas flow.

Fire ext. handy would be a great idea.

Should be a metal fuel line from Glass bowl ...to Carb.
No rubber...No fuel filter...all down hill..Its gravity fed.
I replaced the bowl because the original got stuck and would not turn. Put the new one on and it filled with fuel but as I said earlier there was only the slightest of drips coming from the varb....so I'm wondering if there is an issue with the brass fuel line or the carb

·
Registered
192 Posts
Next step is that screen in the elbow to carb.

There is a screen in the Glass bowl as you will see in video and another internal on the fitting in to tank. Follow the flow.......
Tool Household hardware Wood Fastener Hand tool

Watch all this Gals Video's........you will learn a lot.
Her folks own a tractor parts store as well....I've been pleased.

here is part about elbow /screen

Watch Again near the end of assembly of carb for proper wrench placement.
I wrecked mine cause I didn't listen...don't do what I did.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hate to say something that might come off as accusatory, but is it possible Grandpa converted or partially converted it to 12v?
If converted to 12v...it probly has a chevy alternater.

Pics of this tractor may help...mostly cause we like tractor pics but a Lot of info can be had from a few well placed pictures.

·
922 Posts
Posts #1 and #3 have the engine not turning over, not cranking. That would be starter, battery or something dragging the engine down so as to not allow it to crank over.
IF it's cranking over the above information will help,
IF it's NOT cranking over find out why. Will it turn over with a wrench on the front pulley, have you tried tow starting it?
Try a 12 volt battery to start it, if the starter is in good shape it will spin over good, and for a short run it will not hurt the coil,
just do not turn on any lighting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One very simple thing I found is that a gas tank must have about 1/4 tank to start. Ensure there is sufficient gas. Fresh of course and perferably super. If everything fails, you may need to rewire as those wires are quite old and provide much too much resistance to electrical flows to the spark plugs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts