Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
filled up my firebird today.. 1.95 per gallon for regular.. that was cheaper than most.. saw other stations for 2.07 for regular... 2.17 for super.. the firebird likes super much better but its too damned expensive...

cost me 40$ to fill my truck the other day....

I thought W's buddies were gonna lower the price of gas so he'd get re-elected? i wish they'd hurry up and do it..

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Cheapest i found is $1.72 and the most expensive i have seen is $1.92 here for reg.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You guys are all lucky. Out here in Oregon we're always among the highest in the country. I paid $2.23/gal for regular yesterday. My wifes Taurus SHO uses premium and that's nearing $2.50/gal.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Man, prices are really shooting up. That $2.02 I quoted above shot up today to $2.06. That's been about the average the past two weeks, about 4 cents every other day or so. Wonder when it will stop?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Filled up thrsda at $2.05 a gal. The little store by my house that is usly 10 or so cents MORE pricy was at $1.99.:confused: :confused:

Most in my aera are running $2.00-$2.05 a gal.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I just paid $2.13 @ gallon for mid grade (89 oct.) today. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the past few days.

Greg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Price of gas has been relatively low for many years. We stood in line in 1977 on odd/even days to pay $1.50 (or more ) for a gallon of gas. Using the inflation calculator found here...... $1.50 then is $4.33 today. btw $2.00 calculates back to less than .70 back then. That's right .70 ! The 2.00 barrier was created by the news media so they could have something to squawk about.....the people really shaking in their boots are the huge super stores that depend on people DRIVING to them.

25 years later,We've let our own obsession with cars and the Arabs do it to us again.....:argh:

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well, as low as it is or should/should not be with regard to inflation ----- I still don't like paying $2G+ for fuel. Lots of other aspects of culture & technology have steadily gotten much cheaper to purchase, maintain and operate. Why? More people are purchasing these items and the costs for manufacturing, processing, packaging and shipping are cheaper (non-US wages, labor laws and unions) - We have more people today purchasing fuel and you cannot tell me that the cost for development (existing methods, machines and processing are still the same) has increased 100-200% in the last 2 years. It is raw greed and opportunity like everything else in this world. They see this war along with the increased production for other areas of global economy as a chance to "stick it to the Americans" ---

Frankly, hopefully something can be done. Heck with the barrel prices the level they are --- we can go back into the oil business.

:headclap:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Exactly Andy. The bio-oil business. We can put our farmers back to work in FULL production of rapeseed, soybeans, etc. These crops make excellent biodiesel and heating fuel. The capacity is there to meet over 50% of petroleum demand in this country. Congress has to get off its ass and out from under oil company influence to pave the way for this to happen.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Good point, Chief.

Congress should act to help both consumers and farmers.
There are promising new products from farm products. The authoritative automotive industry publication Wards Engine and Vehicle Technology Update reported on a revolutionary new motor oil has been developed. It is made from oil seeds, such as canola. In the near future it will be possible to make it from soybeans, which, fortunately, are grown by most corn producers.

According to Wards, this new motor oil is superior to the petroleum-based variety in virtually every way, including the fact that it reduces vehicle emissions dramatically. That's right. Unlike ethanol, this oil actually cleans the air. Yet, unlike ethanol, it is competitive in the marketplace without a subsidy of our tax dollars.

Tests are continuing to confirm what industry experts call amazing results with the new bio-oil. As for corn, a consortium of the agricultural giant, Cargill, and the big chemical company, Dow, is nearing production, at a new plant in Nebraska, of a plastic made from corn. It is so rugged it will make super-durable carpet and could dramatically reduce the annual demand for eight billion tons of petroleum-based plastic. Another plus: Under the heat and pressure of a landfill, it biodegrades in just 45 to 60 days. Like the new oil, it doesn't need a government subsidy to be competitive.

Research on hundreds of similar products is taking place in corporations and universities around the country. Imagine if the 54-cent ethanol subsidy, which amounts to billions of dollars, was directed instead toward more bio-oil alternatives and displacing our demand for middle east black gold.

The consumer would benefit.
The farmer would benefit.
We all would benefit.

Any updates on this technology, Chief? Wasn't the USPS using them in test vehicles or something somewhere for last couple years? I say if the president wants to make a difference --- end this #%#$% war, and help set the vision for the future --- independent of the whims and notions of the tyrannical sand people.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
$1.74 for Reg (Chevron and Ammoco BP and Shell)

Racetrack and Enco gas is about 2 cent a gal cheaper

Ya know, I have always found Slidell, La., to always be the cheapest place for gas.........Any of you from Crawdad country near Slidell? Looks like the south is still the cheapest place for gas with the northeast and west , of the northern upper half in general being high.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Yep will be in Slidell tomorrow.....for meetings.. :D

I am only about 35 mins from Slidell....

How far to you from there, Chip?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts