Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1960's Massey Ferguson 35 gas tractor used primarily for mowing/bush hogging four acres

1. Last time I mowed, my oil pressure started off at 40 psi and as it warmed up, it started dropping. I figure it should stop dropping around 15-20 psi, but it dropped all the way to 5 psi, so I shut it down and parked it. Is 5 psi ok or do I have a problem?

2. Recently installed new distributor, distributor cap, coil, plugs and plug cables. Now, the tractor doesn't want to shut down. I hit the kill switch and it continues to chug until I finally turn off the gas and starve it. Whasup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the exact oil pressure symptoms on a John Deere 2020 4 cylinder diesel. I would have to keep the rpm above 1000 when warmed up to keep the oil pressure from dropping below 10. Used it for years that way with no ill effects then finally decided to investigate. Took off the oil pan and noticed that the metal tube from the oil pump to block was very loose where it slides into block (just years and years of use and vibration). Replaced tube and now the pressure stays above 20 at idle when hot. On your engine I would take off the oil pan and have a look at things. Maybe a plugged pickup sceen or something simple. I also found that 15/40 weight motor oil is way better than 10/30 for oil pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the exact oil pressure symptoms on a John Deere 2020 4 cylinder diesel. I would have to keep the rpm above 1000 when warmed up to keep the oil pressure from dropping below 10. Used it for years that way with no ill effects then finally decided to investigate. Took off the oil pan and noticed that the metal tube from the oil pump to block was very loose where it slides into block (just years and years of use and vibration). Replaced tube and now the pressure stays above 20 at idle when hot. On your engine I would take off the oil pan and have a look at things. Maybe a plugged pickup sceen or something simple. I also found that 15/40 weight motor oil is way better than 10/30 for oil pressure.
EXCELLENT advice! Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts