Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2148 (my second, I returned the first one because it burned too much oil).

Anyway... I've started noticing a weird issue when I'm mowing. Kinda wordy, so bear with me.

After I step on the brake and then release it the shift lever moves back toward the neutral position. If I've been running in the high range, the tranny ends up way down in the low (slow) range after I release the brake. If I'm mowing in low and brake to grab a stick or piece of wind-blown trash, when I release the brake, it usually throws itself into neutral. It really began to p!ss me off when I had to mow my ditch this week, I'd creep down the embankment, tap the brake & cut the wheel to straighten it out, and the damned thing would be in neutral every time!

Also, if I'm creeping along (as slow as it will go) - like when mowing around the roots of my live oak trees, or around raised beds - if I come to an obstacle, root/brick paver/whatever, the tranny pulls itself back into neutral.

I never noticed this with the other mower (I had almost 19 hours of mow time on it before I ended up returning it).

Is this shifting back to a slower speed normal? Or, is something out of adjustment? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angel

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I would say its normal because the hydro is a brake. I know on mine the pedal for the hydro is on the same side as the brake so if you take your foot off the pedal to hit the brake it will stop before you can get to the brake. So for the hand lever i would think when you push on the brake it would put it in neutral because if it didn't you would be trying to stop in gear. Kind of like trying to stop a car in gear with out pushing in on the clutch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts