1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Nuffield 3PL

Discussion in 'Other Big Tractor Forum' started by Melony, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Melony

Melony New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    My husband bought a Nuffield DM4 for me to use on our farmlet last week. When looking at it the owner said the PTO has to be engaged before the linkage will lift. This seems odd as being ex share dairy farmers we have used a lot of tractors, Ford, Case (before becoming CaseIH), Inter and Furgy all of which didn't need the PTO running to lift the 3PL. Can anyone confirm if what we were told is right or is there a way to lift without the PTO running? Does something need fixing??

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Melony, welcome to the tractor forum.

You may recall that the old Ford N tractors (2N 9N 8N) built prior to 1953 required that the PTO had to be engaged for the hydraulic pump and lift to operate. This is because the hydraulic pump is driven by the PTO system through the transmission. Your old Nuffield is probably the same. Easy to check. See if the lift will work without the PTO engaged.

geoff l, Melony and Thomas like this.

3. Melony

Melony New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome and info sixbales. 1953 was a bit before my time but it seems you're right, the Nuffield is the same as the early Fords.

4. geoff l

geoff l Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Essex uk
    Welcome to you from over the pond, I'm glad you got your question answered, it sounds a lovely tractor.

Melony likes this.
  5. startinghandle

startinghandle New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    there is nothing wrong with your Nuffield

Melony likes this.
  6. Melony

Melony New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome Geoff :)

7. KellyTractors

KellyTractors International Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Well done Melony, most husband's buy their wives perfume as a present; your husband bought you a tractor.:)

Melony likes this.
  8. Melony

Melony New Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Yep Kelly, most women would hit the roof if their husband bought them a tractor but I'm an exception lol

9. geoff l

geoff l Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Essex uk
    I would be thinking to change the oils and coolant out for fresh unless it's already done, makes for a happy tractor and your husband might well enjoy the option to undertake it and get familiar with such a nice machine...