Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Paul Harvey would say “Now for the rest of the story”.

Around twelve years ago the brother of a friend of mine asked me to check as to way his 8N would not start without pulling it. After checking it over & running a compression test and finding 90 lbs. to as low as 15 lbs. on one cylinder he was advised that the engine needed to be rebuilt. However he never got around to it before he passed away. At his passing the tractor went to his brother, and two years later his brother met his maker. This tractor set under some big oak trees growing a nice crop of moss for several more years before I bought it from my friends widow.

Once I had the tractor it became one of those projects where when you had the time you didn’t have the money, & when you had the money you didn’t have the time. However after another two years & to keep peace with the little woman I decided that I had better get to work on it.

We gave the engine a complete major overhaul, replaced the brakes, rebuilt the entire steering system, replaced the clutch, removed all the old paint down to the bare metal, replaced all the external seal and gaskets, and pretty well went through the entire unit trying to make sure that everything was in good shape when completed.

We then started going back together with it. After reinstalling the rebuilt engine, the main frame & all the non-sheet metal pieces received primer & their first coat of red paint. The front axle & all the small pieces were then installed and received two more coats of red paint.

It was then time for the sheet metal which proved to be more of a job then I had planed. There were more dents & holes in the metal then you could shake a stick at, & I insisted that they were all had to be repaired or replaced. One finder even had a bullet hole in it that had to be removed, I would sure like to know the story on that one.

I bought this tractor with the intent to use it with a finish mower to mow around the buildings, however after spending nearly every weekend this winter working on it the darn thing became a sort of an obsession to see how good of a job we could do. Now after spending over 3,100 in parts & materials & over 100 man hours of labor, I have decided that I don’t want to put the first scratch on it. Therefore it is going to be offered for sale on the Internet.

One question that was asked was if the wheel stud bolts was painted red, the answer is no. Most people paint the lug nuts at the same time as the axles, which makes the lug bolts & nuts stand out like a sore thumb when installed. It is only my opinion but I believe that it looks better when the lug bolts & nuts are the same color as the rims. We therefore used masking tape on the lug bolts after they were premiered, & painted the ends of the bolts with gray paint using an artist brush after the wheels were installed.

I am attaching another picture which shows the front end, & have several more showing detail.

Frank

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well i would say all the TLC you have put into it was well worth it. It looks GREAT i would say it looks better then when it was new.
Jody

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Nice job Frank,
I’m suppressed your going to sell the Ford after putting all
that work into it. I’m in the process of rejuvenating an old
Bolens 1250 Garden Tractor and I have to say that the project
kind of creates a “Bond” between you and the tractor.
I’ve really become attached to this thing because I feel it’s
more MY tractor than any of the others I own.

The 8n looks great now, congratulations on a job well done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know I am a little surprised myself that I have decided to sell it, however I have a greater plan in mind.

We are going to use this one for a little experiment.

In my shop we repair or rebuild these older tractors for the area farmers pretty much every working day, and it does not take long to realize that the new tractors being sold today will not stand up to the abuse & misuse that the older models have.

It is my believe that if you could purchase some of the older work horses like Ford’s, Massey’s, or John Deer’s at a reasonable price where you could afford to completely restore & sell them with a one year warranty at a fair price, I think that they would be in high demand. At the very least it could help to fill in for those slow times that seems to come around almost every winter.

Now let me ask a question, how do you place those little pictures in the left hand column of your posts that most everyone seems to have? I would love to be able to place this little 8N there on my post.

By the way; a few weeks ago I bought another 52 8N that is in worse shape then the one we just finished before we restored it. I guess that I just love to work.

Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts