Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread Ingorsoll mentioned loading a tractor on a trailer. The part that bothers me is he was going to use some cinder blocks to hold it up. Never use cinder blocks to hold a vehicle up! They can disintigrate,and the next thing you know is you are wearing the vehicle. Most people evn use them the weak way, flat surfaces up and down. If there is nothing else you can do and have to use cinder blocks, at least put the holes up and down with a two by block on top of the last block. I saw a Cararo fall when a block let go and the car had sat on it for a couple of days.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
slip Paul was talking about loading a JD Garden tractor onto a trailer but yes i am with you on not using them to support a car or truck.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by slipshod
On another thread Ingorsoll mentioned loading a tractor on a trailer. The part that bothers me is he was going to use some cinder blocks to hold it up. Never use cinder blocks to hold a vehicle up! They can disintigrate,and the next thing you know is you are wearing the vehicle. Most people evn use them the weak way, flat surfaces up and down. If there is nothing else you can do and have to use cinder blocks, at least put the holes up and down with a two by block on top of the last block. I saw a Cararo fall when a block let go and the car had sat on it for a couple of days.
Thanks for reminding us about this hazerd. I also have seen cars fall when the blocks just "fall apart". ALSO, this would be a good time to warn about NEVER getting under something that is held up only by a jack. It WILL fall. only a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
CINDER WILL TURN INTO DUST AND THE NEXT CINDERS YOU HAVE WILL BE YOUR POT OF ASHES ON THE MANTLE AFTER THE CREMATION.

:skullmad:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Slip, that never occurred to me. I have used cinder blocks to prop stuff up in the past. Won't anymore! Good call and good post! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I agree they are not for supporting vehicles etc. Now for my question on "cinder blocks" I have not heard that term since I moved south back in early 70's. When I lived up north they had huge piles of cinders and they used them to make building blocks with, but that term here is unheard of. Do they still make building blocks with cinders up north? Here they are referred to as building block or concrete blocks. Go ask for a cinder block around here and they will just sit there and stare at you!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chipmaker

Like you I have not seen cinder blocks in a long time either. I just followed suit because Ingorsoll called them that. Don't worry concrete blocks are no safer, maybe even worse.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Guess it is one of those terms you kinda grow up using, and just dont stop. Strange, wile I am not that old, I learned a lot from my step Dad, and he was a LOT older. So here I am working with guys that never have seen a ingnition point set, and I am talking about how flat heads are built.:D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts