Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
mydoom virus' floating around out there

just a frienldy reminder, update your virus definitions

we kept getting emails saying:

Dear user of ourcompanys domain.com,

We have received reports that your e-mail account was used to send a huge
amount of unsolicited e-mail during the recent week.
Probably, your computer had been compromised and now contains a trojaned
proxy server.

We recommend you to follow the instructions in the attached file in order to
keep your computer safe.

Best regards,
ourdomains.com technical support team.

The attached file had a virus in it...

I was away last week and had not updated the virus definitions
(nortons corperate edition does not do auto live updates)
and we had a bunch of these mydoom virus' floating around..

it was extra suspicious because we do not have a 'technical support team' we initially thought it was from our mail server... but it was a virus..

so if you have not updated your definitions in a while.. you may want to do it asap...

sj

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
My employer got hit with it pretty hard Monday. I could tell the "company" support name was bogus. I am always surprised how many people open "questionable" attachments!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, if you use Norton AntiVirus I wish you luck even if you have updated virus definitions. I had two computers invected with Beagle AG last week in spite of having up to date virus definitions, and both machines are so hosed that I'm reformatting and reinstalling everything. Thanks NAV. To top things off I have NAV 2002 and it wouldn't install due to virus problems and they wouldn't provide me any support (even paid) because it's an old product. But they were sure happy enough to sell me a virus subscription for this version of the software. Symantec SUCKS.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
GreenMtnMan
I got that same virus W32. [email protected]!zip. Norton didn't get it till the wife open the email and then it pop up and said we had this virus. I tried to run Norton and it would run a little while then it would shut down and not start back up. Only way i could get Norton back up was to reboot the computer. I went and install avasts free version and it got rid of it. It had infected 900 files on this computer.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I have used these programs both in the paid and freeware version, with excellent results

I suggest those having problems and are in the crossroads of what to do next, to look at these freeware links

AVG's version is almost as good as the paid version as well as Zonealarm...I have all versions running including Norton and AVG is better than Norton anti, and Zonealarm is in a league of its own -thats why Checkpoint software acquired them recently....but no sooner do you suggest a solution then someone
posts having a problem with it for some reason or another...
I'm in the service side of things - I deal with this day in and day out....you just lead the horse to the water, and they are on their own after that

AVG - freeware download
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

ZoneAlarm -Freeware download

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=ho_za

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by GreenMtnMan
Well, if you use Norton AntiVirus I wish you luck even if you have updated virus definitions. I had two computers invected with Beagle AG last week in spite of having up to date virus definitions, and both machines are so hosed that I'm reformatting and reinstalling everything. Thanks NAV. To top things off I have NAV 2002 and it wouldn't install due to virus problems and they wouldn't provide me any support (even paid) because it's an old product. But they were sure happy enough to sell me a virus subscription for this version of the software. Symantec SUCKS.
Ken, Norton was really sh!tty to me over the phone and they pissed me off so bad I sent an email and phone call to the customer relations VP. I am sure they ignored both. Norton FUBAR's your system registry when it is installed and I will NEVER own another Norton product again.

Again, I would like to thank and recogize Duc for all of the help and assistance he has given me in this area. Duc has his sh*t together! :D ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think I'll fix the problem by going back to using my QNX machines for email and internet stuff and using Windows as little as necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Thanks Chief for the vote of confidence!! I will always assist those who needed it or ask for it....

Attached below is a registry cleaner tool which helps clean up the old Symantic files that can wreck havoc on new install...its easy to use and helps identify files you dont need

Its an exe. file so I hope it uploads ok, I'm sure everyones AntiVirus will flag it because its an executable file..its virus free I assue you

Duc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
Ken, Norton was really sh!tty to me over the phone and they pissed me off so bad I sent an email and phone call to the customer relations VP. I am sure they ignored both. Norton FUBAR's your system registry when it is installed and I will NEVER own another Norton product again.

Again, I would like to thank and recogize Duc for all of the help and assistance he has given me in this area. Duc has his sh*t together! :D ;) :thumbsup:
Chief, the IT guy where I work said Norton is more focused on catering the corporate world than the little guy these days. Which is a shame for people who have already spent $$ with them.

On the Apple or Mac side of the fence, Norton was the standard for disk repair and disk optimization tools. Norton's reputation has slipped drastically in the Mac community after Apple came out with OSX a few years ago. I have read many testimonials of their disk tools completely fubar'ing disk drives. I guess it's hard to stay a the top.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
My personal take on Norton is that its really not a bad program
but you must use a current year (2004) and scrap the 2003 versions when the subscription expires. If you look hard enough
you can find Norton 2004 Anti virus for free from retailers that offer rebates and proof of an older version of Norton....you do that a few times, and you can protect family and friends with the same version (5 users) per copy..

The real problem for Norton is that they are a target because they are seen as a big bullseye like Microsoft is...what you find now is viruses and Trojan's design to disable your anti virus update feature, or auto protect feature.....you now find the newer Software firewall programs(zone Alarm pro) alerting you if your anti virus software is not taking updates automatically, so at least you know somethings up...

Incidentally the price of AVG and ZoneAlarm paid versions and for 2years, and still considerably less than Nortons 1 year service....both AVG and ZoneAlarm offer full program updates during that timeframe as well, and I have found I can use them on mulitple machines with no problems -spreading the wealth as long as the count remains under 10 pc's -5 would be ideal..

Just some ideas...

Duc

·
Registered
126 Posts
Duc, thanks for the info. I'll give AVG a try. Is there any point to zonealarm if I already have a hardware firewall? I don't want any more clutter on these machines than I need.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Can you upgrade the firewalls on some of the routers you see for home networking? Most of the firwalls I have seen are on the computer itself, but one of the guys here at work has a firewall on his hub or router. Just wondering.:truth:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts