1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

No fire

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by txpoweranger, Jul 27, 2017.

1. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I have fire to the points but no fire to the plugs on my 454. Can anyone tell me what is happening with it?

Sent from my K88 using Tractor Forum mobile app

2. pogobill

pogobill Registered User Staff Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I can't tell you what's happening, although you'd filled us in with what's not happening!
    How old are the cap, the rotor and the plug wires? The plug wires should be copper core, I believe.
    Also, how strong a spark are you getting at the points?

3. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Everything is new the spark is good too, it was running shut it off to hook up the cutter so I could mow and wouldn't start.

4. pogobill

Jan 31, 2012
    Seeing that everything is new, would it be possible that one of the new parts has failed? Try starting with the old rotor in the distributor, then try the old cap if that doesn't work.... Try and work back one bit at a time to see if you can get it back to where it was when it was running.
    I changed out a a cap, rotor, condenser, wires etc., on one of my old tractors, and the off shore rotor busted inside the offshore distributor cap!! Put the old back on and it still runs to this day!

ar_confederate likes this.
  5. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Going to try that in the morning, had to look for the old stuff luckily I didn't throw it away. Thank you very much will post what happened tomorrow.

ar_confederate likes this.
  6. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I've have omhed the cap, rotor, coil wire and plug wires and they all test to be good.

7. pogobill

Jan 31, 2012
    Well, I'm at a loss! How about the key switch. Can you jumper it to see if you can get the tractor to start?
    Maybe a weak coil?

8. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    New coil, and just replaced the switch, no spark from distributor to plugs.

9. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
  10. 40fordy

40fordy New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Not sure if you have internal resister coil or external. If you have external, check your resister. Condenser could also have failed.

duke7595 likes this.
  11. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I'm getting fire to the points just not to the plugs checked rotor and coil wire and there good.

12. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    The tractor was running just fine shut it off to hook up cutter and now it won't start.

13. 40fordy

40fordy New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    If your condenser fails, you'll get a strong spark at the points and no or weak spark at the plugs. You may need to change your condenser and points if they're damaged.

duke7595 likes this.
  14. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
  15. 40fordy

40fordy New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Yes, but you'll need an ohmmeter. Capacitors are cheap though, so it's easier to replace it. What type of coil do u have? Internal or external resistor?

duke7595 likes this.
  16. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Internal, I ran to town and got a new condenser, getting ready to install it now.

duke7595 likes this.
  17. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    duke7595 and ar_confederate like this.
  18. txpoweranger

txpoweranger Member

Mar 17, 2017
    duke7595 and dozer966 like this.
  19. 40fordy

40fordy New Member