Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone drive one of these yet? What kind of tractor hauler do you think it will be? I sure do see it advertised on TV a LOT! Seems to have enough HP, just a little concerned about room inside and cargo box width. Seems like the engineers in Japan haven't quite figured out we Americans buy stuff that is 4 feet wide.:D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Joe, IMHO I think the Titan has the hp but not the torque or curb weight to pull any type of sizable (3,000 lbs. plus) tractor. Add to that a FEL, MMM, and fluid filled tires and you are pushing well over 4,000 lbs. plus the estimated 1,500 lbs. plus for the trailer. A typical 3/4 ton pickup will tip the scales near or over 7,000 lbs. for a diesel and maybe a 1,000 lbs. less for gas powered engine. Ideally you want to tow vehicle to weigh more than the load being towed. This is not always possible but you want to try to stay on the heavy side as much as possible. This is where I feel the Titan will really be lacking. My Dodge is about 7,500 lbs. and the Cummins puts out 245 hp & 505 ft. lbs. of torque at 1,800 rpm. This is VERY useable power and torque. The weight of the truck closely approximates the weight of the load. The Titan wieghs about 5,300 lbs. and makes 305 hp at 4,900 rpm & 379 ft/lbs. torque at 3,600 rpm. You will NOT like reving your trucks engine to make this power and will feel like you are taxing the vehicle heavily. Worst feature of all is that the truck comes ONLY with an automatic transmission. If you plan to tow ANY load to speak off DO NOT get an automatic transmission. NO manufacturer makes an automatic transmission for a pickup that is suitable for tow without extensive modification. That point alone leaves you with 2 choices. Dodge & Ford. If you want diesel; stay away from the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke as they have had horrible problems with them, so much to the point that Ford has repurchase large numbers of these trucks back from irrate customers. I love the Ford Crew Cab. If they offered one with a Cummins engine and New Venture NV5600 6 speed manual trans. I would be driving a Ford. Unfortunately Dodge is the ONLY manufacturer that offers this combination. I say again, this is my OPINION from my personal experience. Depending upon how often and how much you tow; you can get by with less; but if you want a SOLID & reliable tow vehicle; I strongly recommend the Dodge Cummins HO 6 speed manual 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup.

Now..........................let the Chevy, Dodge, GMC, Ford food fight begin!!!! :D ;)

Here is a good link on the Titan

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chief! Especially for the link. I couldn't seem to find any dimensions on Nissan's site, and I'm very disappointed that it does not come with an 8 foot bed in any configuration. That is strike one! Also disappointed that the power comes on so high in revs. Strike 2! And the light weight maybe good for gas mileage, but a drawback for heavy work. I'll call that a foulball. On the plus side it is bigger inside and much more power than the Dodge 6 cyl. Dakota I'm currently driving. No manual tranny is another foulball. I guess if I get a chance, I'll have to stop by the dealer and sit in one and see if I have enough headroom. Thanks again, you answered all my questions pretty much.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
For the lighter duty pickup I think the Litan will be ok. Just like Chief said I perfer having the torque and HP down low where I can use it. I live in moutainous area and towing my 10,000 pound fifth wheel with either of my Dodge pickups is a breeze (1996 3/4 ton V-10 or the 1997 Cummins Diesel) Now both of these have automatics that I have extensive modifications including 2 transmission coolers, a temperature gauge and programable shift kits. Since I do tow with a heavy trailer I also weigh the trailer at a commercial scales before I go on trips to make sure I am not overloaded. If I am it back home and figure out where I can lighten up on stuff. My wife and I have figured out for tripss to only take 3 days change of cloths and 1 dressy outfit. We have travel all the country and never had a tow vehicle breakdown. We have had the 5th wheel breakdown (cheap Goodrag trailer tires) that did require a overnight stay that was unplanned. But back to the Litan. I find the truck would be acceptable to folks who have the Dakota or even the Chevy S-series as a slight step-up. But IMHO the Dakota V-8 would ber a better vehicle and even the new Corado from Chevy would be better in fuel enomy and just plan they both look a whole lot better then the fat S-10 look of the Litan

·
Registered
42 Posts
i know this is an older thread - i am new and trying to catch up...

my advice on the titan is DRIVE ONE! i was very, very impressed with it. i am planning on getting a new truck here in the next few months and have owned two Nissans - i am impressed with both vehicles and my dealers willingness to make me happy with service. that point is particularly important to me - a lot of the decision should be based on the dealer you work with...

the titans abilities, dimensions, etc are impressive. although, if you are looking for frequent big pulling, a diesel is, of course, the way to go.

again, drive one. it handles and accelarates like a sports car but still feels like a truck... oh, and the bed tie down systems is slick...

good luck - i would like to hear your impressions of one if you drive it...

john

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without an 8 foot bed, it isn't gonna meet my needs. I need a truck with decent cargo capacity, and an 8 foot bed is definitely required after spending the last 14 years trying to cram stuff in the 6 1/2 foot bed of my Dakota.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I think you would love a long bed Dodge Cummins pickup Joe. They are a little pricey but you seem like me and would keep it till it crumbles into dust which will be a LONG time. :D ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
i do not have the need for a long bed (8') as my need for a truck is a combo of random projects and getting firewood. I pull a couple of Sea Doos on a double trailer - but that is a non issue for any 1/2 ton or better pick up.

to be honest, i really like the chevy 2500hd crew cab. i have been looking at the duramax because i drive a lot of miles every day. the $6,000 plus it costs to get that engine and the allison 5 speed automatic makes the cost justification a little challenging, though...

with the current rebates/incentives, etc looking for a full size domestic truck is very attractive. you can buy most with out diesel engines for a few hundred under invoice less any of those crazy rebates (chevy is $6,000 right now). the rebates on the diesels are not as much - and if the dealer has to locate a vehicle it may cost you invoice or a few hundred above... either way, the deals are awesome if you are shopping for a vehicle right now...

john

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
Without an 8 foot bed, it isn't gonna meet my needs. I need a truck with decent cargo capacity, and an 8 foot bed is definitely required after spending the last 14 years trying to cram stuff in the 6 1/2 foot bed of my Dakota.
i agree with you joe about an 8 ft bed.. Ive got a 6 ft and never again.. every time i want to put plywood or any sheet of anything in the back it hangs out of the bed.. definetly 8 Ft next time for me... and 8 cylinders too..

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I wish I had the 8 ft. bed on my truck as well but it was the only one like that left and it was an end of the year internet sale; so I took what I could get. With sheets of plywood; that extra space comes in mighty handy but then again the shortbed is much easier to turn around in the driveway. I just pull the trailer when I need lots of space.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
the shortbed is much easier to turn around in the driveway.
Chief... 314 Acres... you'd might have room to make a turnaround driveway... :furious: :furious:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts