Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went to get my JD out of the barn and almost stepped on a babby squirrel. I reached down and picked it up and it was as cold as an ice cube. I did not hold out too much hope for it to recover, considering the distance it fell from the nest I suspect it came from, and then it crawled close to 40 feet to where it was when I found it. Its eyes were still closed but it was fully furred out. I warmed it up under my lathes halogen light, and had it placed in a small box. I went out to finish doing what I was doing and came back to see how it was doing and it was gone. That little critter got warmed up and climed out of that box, and fell into my lathes chip pan, and then fell on the floor, and you could see a oil streak fro his crawling accross the floor as he was pretty well saturated in oil fromthe lathe coolant catch pan. I found him out by the wheel of my truck, all oil and stillcovered in lots of metal shavings and chips. Held him up like his momma would do by th skuff of his neck and took an air hose to him to blow all the chips off him, then wiped him down with some paper towels, put him in another higher container and proceeded to warmhim up again as he was ice cold again. Once th wife got home she took over, and gave him some milk (goat milk)
Yesterday that little critters eyes opened up so he is about 5 1/2 weeks old, and he managed to yet again crawl out of a high tupperware container he was in, that was placed on th ewood stove on a heating pad (stove is not used now since temp is in high 70's or more), and fell 3 feet onto the hard quarrytile floor, and crwled all the way to the kitchen where I found him once again cold as an ice cube.

But he is doing fine and can suck the bottomout of a tiny animal nursing bottle. His name is Chippie. Its going to be very interesting with 6 dogs in the house and this little critter, as the dogs devote the better part of their day outside harrassing and catching squirrels, now they will have one living inside with them. It drives them crazy seeing that critter on the wifes lap when she is feeding it. LIke a pack of wolves waiting for the wife or the critter to make one wrong move.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
This should prove interesting to watch how this little fella will terrorize the dogs as he becomes their pal. I can see it now, riding on their backs as the tear around.:lmao:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I had a pet squirrel that I raised from a baby like you are doing when I would about 6 or 7. Oscar was his name. He could put the mild away. When he got big enough, he loved sunflower seeds. I kept him in a bird cage with some limbs for him to climb around on and let him out most of the time except when we were sleeping for the night. He was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
518 Posts
uncle had squirreels he raised from babies 3 of themthy rode in truk an went where he n aunt did thy got bigger n left one day he was settin at stop sign near his house n squirrel came in passenger window of his pick up an sat up on seat next 2 him was one the squirrels he raised from bby thy must be smart .... i had 3 bby skunks i was goin get deskunked n keep as pets but vet wldnt deskunk them cleaned there cage n put them in hvy cardboard box next day hole in box n thy were gone funny part this story my nghbrs had cats an wld feed thm all at once nghbrs s wife was feedin cats n skunk was wantin fed too she was kikkin at it 2 get bak ddnt no it was skunk lol he sd it was prob one ones i had i fed thm cat food lollollol:tractorsm:elephant: :buzz:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Chipmaker, strange coincidence. Yesterday while my daughter and I were hauling back firewood from a cut site. We came across a tree that had been cut down by loggers that evidently had a squirel's nest in it and a really small baby squirrel was scampering around in distress. He did not seem to have any fear of us so we took him in. So far he is guzzling 2% milk but does not eat any sunflower seeds or similar food. It is about 1/3 the size of a full grown squirrel. What are you feeding yours?

When we got back to the house and started unloading the firewood, I noticed one of our cats climbing a small tree in blackberry bush thicket. He had found what I think is a chipmunk nest. It looked just like a bird's nest but it was a round ball of thin grass and plant threads made into a ball. The cat ate one and killed another before I could run over and stop it. The one remaining was OK. I tried to put it back in the nest but it was destroyed. So, now we are attempting to raise a chipmunk and a squirrel. My daughter wants to be a veterinarian so this should be a good start for her. The chipmunk is taking milk so far. It is about the size of half a AA battery. It has not opened its eyes yet. Any suggestions on how to feed and care for them would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chipmonks are not in this neck of the woods. They have them up in north alabama, but in the southern section, its unheard of. I used to always catch them as a youngin growoing up in Pennsylvania. They were very prolific in the old stone foundations and walls, especially the stone walls etc found around a cemetary or farm. Had many a nasty bite from those suckers as well.

I hate to have to say it but the little baby squirrel has gone on to squirrel heaven in the big tree in the sky. H started to wheeze and sniffle a lot, and the wife actually took him to the vet. Vet thought that he probably had pneumonia, probably from when he fell from the tree, and was just about dead. Then there were two other times he managed to get out of his box and get ice cold, but from day one he was wheezing etc. So after the vet said about all he could do was give him some antibiotics and just keep him warm, and full of liquids. He also said he would be very surprised if it made it through it, which he did not. He died while the wife was feeding him. He was eating great, and nursing on that bottle of his, and he just slowly stopped and went limp. The day his both eyes finally opened up so he could see the world is the day he died. It really had the wife bummed out big time.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker
Chipmonks are not in this neck of the woods. They have them up in north alabama, but in the southern section, its unheard of. I used to always catch them as a youngin growoing up in Pennsylvania. They were very prolific in the old stone foundations and walls, especially the stone walls etc found around a cemetary or farm. Had many a nasty bite from those suckers as well.

I hate to have to say it but the little baby squirrel has gone on to squirrel heaven in the big tree in the sky. H started to wheeze and sniffle a lot, and the wife actually took him to the vet. Vet thought that he probably had pneumonia, probably from when he fell from the tree, and was just about dead. Then there were two other times he managed to get out of his box and get ice cold, but from day one he was wheezing etc. So after the vet said about all he could do was give him some antibiotics and just keep him warm, and full of liquids. He also said he would be very surprised if it made it through it, which he did not. He died while the wife was feeding him. He was eating great, and nursing on that bottle of his, and he just slowly stopped and went limp. The day his both eyes finally opened up so he could see the world is the day he died. It really had the wife bummed out big time.
Chipmaker, I just went to go check on and feed the little squirrel I was trying to raise and found him dead. I had just fed him a few hours before but he did not look too strong. I did my best but I am still just plain old disgusted and frustrated. Tommorow morning there are going to be 3 little broken hearts to send off to school. Not looking forward to that. :confused:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
yes, he was about 10 weeks old but a dog had thrown him around and I am not sure if he hurt him. It didn't seem so at first. The Chipmunk still does not have its eyes open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts