Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your tired o having pop ups and always needing to install software for this and that just to stop pop ups and clean out banner adds etc, with a smooth transition from MS internet Explorer give Mozilla's Firefox a try...I have been using it now for about a week and the transition was easy, install was a piece of cake, and it imports all settings from MS browser. It loads webpages quicker and its not prone to the security risks that Microsoft I E is prone to.....It does not support activX which is a known problem child anyhow, so its not a big loss and you would probably never know it. Having to go and get updates for spam blockers and pop ups gets old now those days are over, and I was able to free up over 49MB of hard drive space by uninstalling quite a few programs needed just to work around Microsofts vulnerabilities.

Check it out at mozilla.org

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I overheard a conference call with the IT people where I work. They were considering moving the whole company over to Mozilla Firefox. I think the SP2 service pack is supposed to fix a lot of things in IE, but our LAN administrator will not allow it just yet because of firewall issues etc.

I use the Mac version of Firefox as my second browser (Safari is my default browser) followed by Navigator (sometimes called Camino) and then IE.

I recommended Mozilla Firefox to you guys back in February. Hey all you Windows users ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have firefox and use it a lot. I would recommend it along with Opera and netscape 7.2 which is actually mozilla based ,the same as firefox. If you want to stay with IE then i recommend Avant and Slimbrowser which both are actually overlays of IE but are really neat with a lot of features. I think i'm up to 11 or 12 browsers now.
Also check out Incredimail for your E-mail. It is really neat with a lot of emicons and stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, so I am not alone here then am I?
ANy of you ever remember a browser called Tapestry.........IMHO it was beyond its time when it first came out, and was soon bought up by Netscape, and they just trashed it and kept on with netscape. Guess they were afraid of the competition Tapestry may have given them.

I was just tired of installing all kinds of software to solve MS holes in their software. Was thinking of giving the Mozilla email program Thunderbird a try. I hate outlookl, and I am too cheap to spend the money on a newer version of Eudora. Iuse PM Mail on my other Pentium Pro 200 dual processor computer and its a great email program, but again too cheap to buy a copy for this machine........I am like Bontai Joe........FREE FREE is the only way for me!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
i just downloaded mozilla as my default browser yesterday-- i have been using firfox for about 2 weeks for atrial -- it is faster and less aggravation, but i want my news easy to get too-- so mozilla is nice

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I switched from an old version of Mozilla to Firefox when Mow posted about it in February. Before that I mainly used Netscape. I still keep Outlook Express for email to check my Hotmail account. I keep IE for when I run across a page that Firefox will not render fully.

Mark

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm trying out Mozilla now. Question here is this. There is link to a download that's 4mb in size on the home page, but there's a Mozilla 1.7.3 that when clicked on has a download size of 11mb. Which one do I download and use?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Download directly from ther Mozilla website for the lastest. The latest IIRC is 1.0PR and its less than 5MB in size for a download.

mozilla.org is the webiste addy.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
"The latest IIRC is 1.0PR...

Is that the one they call Firefox? The download size is 4.5mb. Then, what is Mozilla 1.7.3? It looks to be a web browser also?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
FireFox is the name of the browser put out by Mozilla. The 1.0PR is the latest release of the browser.

The 1.7.3 is a suite of components that include email and newsgroup capabilty etc.

The standalone browser however is 1.0PR

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks. Then I have the right one downloaded then, for I've downloaded the 4.5MB Firefox version that was on www.mozilla.org. I don't know what the 1.7.3 would buy me, except a lot of frills and bells.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts