Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a older Kubota this week and a couple pieces of equipment along the week after the tractor it is a L185 2wd
with 669 hours it starts good and runs really well. So far i'm just learning about it and tinkering with it and of coarse locating
equipment so far I have a frontier mower and a Mahindra 4 ft box blade. Here are a few pictures.

Dave
20210712_174334_HDR.jpg
20210712_174334_HDR.jpg
20210714_162939_HDR.jpg
20210717_132914_HDR.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dave, great looking tractor!
I've moved your post to the introductions section so we can get to know you. If you have any brand related questions or requests, go ahead and post them in the Kubota forum, you'll get more brans specific help.
Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum Dave, great looking tractor!
I've moved your post to the introductions section so we can get to know you. If you have any brand related questions or requests, go ahead and post them in the Kubota forum, you'll get more brans specific help.
Enjoy the forum!
Thanks! I appreciate it

Dave

·
Registered
541 Posts
You get an owners manual with it? If so, first thing I'd do is change all the fluids and filters, including the air filter. If not, you can find the manuals online, I suggest getting them (owners and shop manuals). Nice unit.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Keep in mind that for a rear cutter of any style or anything pto operated, the rule of 4-5 horsepower per foot of width always applies.

Is it a hydrostat or gear drive? I cannot tell by your pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You get an owners manual with it? If so, first thing I'd do is change all the fluids and filters, including the air filter. If not, you can find the manuals online, I suggest getting them (owners and shop manuals). Nice unit.
No but I had a good fellow send me one in pdf form online and I am changing fluids and filters right now and airing up tires
I can't see the psi so according to a chart I found I figure 25 in front and 15 in rear does that sound about right? the fronts are
4.00-15 and rears are 9.5-9-24

thanks
Dave

·
Registered
541 Posts
Watch your clutch adjustment (1/2 - to 1" freeplay in the pedal and don't use it for a footrest either. You'll quickly wear out the throwout bearing and possibly the clutch plate and both require a split.

When you park it for any length of tome, wedge a block of wood between the cowl and the pedal to hold the clutch plate off the flywheel, They have a habit of rusting to the flywheel and getting one unstuck can be a frustrating job. Most of the early Kubota's will have a small hook welded on or bolted to the tractor next to the clutch pedal. it's for holding the pedal down when the tractor is parked. Use it or block the pedal down

With a hydro, there is really no need usually.

Looks to me that the front tire in the picture is low. I'd be checking them all and running my pressures at whatever is stamped on the tire sidewalls.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I am trying to figure that out today i can't find the small print on them except the front says don't exceed 35 seating
the bead. I found a chart that said 25-32 front and 15-30 rear from firestone. I am going to put 25 in front and 15 in rear I thought they looked low too. Does that sound about right? the fronts are 4.00-15 and rears are 9.5-9-24

thanks
Dave

·
Registered
541 Posts
No but I had a good fellow send me one in pdf form online and I am changing fluids and filters right now and airing up tires
I can't see the psi so according to a chart I found I figure 25 in front and 15 in rear does that sound about right? the fronts are
4.00-15 and rears are 9.5-9-24

thanks
Dave
Sounds about right. I run 25 in the fronts and 20 out back but I have an FEL and use it for loading rounds and 20 out back because the rubber lasts longer and it's 5 grand for new shoes on each one of mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds about right. I run 25 in the fronts and 20 out back but I have an FEL and use it for loading rounds and 20 out back because the rubber lasts longer and it's 5 grand for new shoes on each one of mine.
Ok thanks! Wow that's some serious money for some tires I would take care of them too.
thanks
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Picked up a middle buster today and tried it and the box blade out and was very surprised at how well the tractor
did it pulled that stuff like a champ and didn't have any problem. I wasn't sure at first if I would keep it or not if it was under
powered but it had plenty of power for what I'm doing with it. So I have decided to spend some money on it and get it in top
shape. It is in really good shape now but I want to get it to new condition and keep it that way I have operated several tractors and this is one of my favorites.

Dave
20210719_201256.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

and enjoy the forum!

Have fun with your cool new toy.
Thanks! And funny you should say that about having fun with my new toy because I got a call today while on my tractor and it was the wife and she said you were supposed to be home for supper 30 minutes ago instead playing on that darn tractor get yourself home before your food is cold we already ate. LOL

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wish I could call mine 'toys' but they aren't. Mine are tools to make money with and expensive to boot. I will say those light duty 'middle busters' don't hold up very well, I don't have one, don't need one but I've read many comments about them failing. 5 grand for news tires in reality isn't all that bad. R1 Tire prices all hinge on tire size, the bigger they are, the more they cost. I am curious as to what the 'orange covered pipe' is in your pictures?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wish I could call mine 'toys' but they aren't. Mine are tools to make money with and expensive to boot. I will say those light duty 'middle busters' don't hold up very well, I don't have one, don't need one but I've read many comments about them failing. 5 grand for news tires in reality isn't all that bad. R1 Tire prices all hinge on tire size, the bigger they are, the more they cost. I am curious as to what the 'orange covered pipe' is in your pictures?
The orange covered pipe was someone's attempt to fix the hole in the exhaust I have located a new complete pipe so Iplan to order one or replace the bad section but probably just replace it all. Yes this Middle buster is light weight for sure I had two to chose from and this one had extra bracing at the top and in the rear so I went with it over the other one. But I still think if it got hung up on something it might fold like an accordion. I have been trying to locate a 5 ft angle blade this
morning that is about the only other thing I need other than I need a boom pole eventually. I plan to go over the finish mower this week and get it ready to mow with around Friday. I picked up some decent grease for it and plan to stand it up with my engine crane and anchor it so I can sharpen the blades and remove the hay tie rope off the spindles I saw and pressure wash and paint the underside look to be mainly surface rust from sitting after mowing.I seen a new product for coating the underside of mowers to prevent grass build up I may look at getting some of that also.

Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts