Tractor Forum banner
281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Borrowed my buddy's 20 volt impact driver & removed the rear bumper. Had to peel away some of the rotten bumper to access some of the bolts & nuts. In a few places, there was nothing but a layer of chrome holding it together. I was able to save all the bolts & nuts for reuse.

Sanded down the bumper brackets & tow hitch, degreased & applied gloss black POR15. Old bumper is on the workbench so I can remove a few nuts from the impact strips on top & on the outer edge of the bumper, then transfer over to the new bumper. License plate lights & license plate, too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
WOW! That there is is some serious rust. Like ship sunk at sea for 50 years kind of rust. I'm sorry to see you lost your picture of Hillary. That made me laugh out loud!

Reactions: TecumsehBriggs

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Swapped the plastic impact strips & top cover to the new bumper. Had to carefully lube & remove the metal nuts on the plastic studs that secure the plastic to the bumper. Swapped a license plate light that came with the bumper & the best of 2 from my original bumper. Wirebrushed all bolts & nuts & lubed them. Cleaned the bumper & plastic with Gibbs rust inhibitor/cleaner. Installed the bumper on the truck. Reinstalled license plate. Ready to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I really like your "work rug". What a simple, but GREAT idea. I wish I had thought of doing that about 15 years ago. That is definitely a (y)(y)idea.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 · (Edited)
The rug was a freebie from my ex-brother-in-law. He worked at that company & we did some work on the old building when the company moved. Lots of stuff left behind. Got several poster size picture frames, office supplies, the rug & other stuff I can't remember. I use it any time I have to lie down or kneel in the driveway or yard. A stone to the knee hurts a lot when you plop down on it.

·
Retired Canadian
940 Posts
Tecumseh,
You have done a big rebuild, looks real good.
I just got a 'backyard sitter', a 2009 Escape. Hasn't been on the road for 4 years because of the steering recall, her kids used it for a playhouse. I'm driving it, seems to be ok, needed a battery. The new windshield ($548) is going in Tuesday.
It's just coming daylight and there is frost on the car roofs, 5:30am .........

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
You have frost on the car roofs???? I'm in PA and wearing shorts.

·
Retired Canadian
940 Posts
If I could spell Penneselvania?? I would go there, but......... I think the lack of snow and cold weather would ruin my snowmobile and my snowshoes would be lonely :)!!!
It rained all day- but my new windshield is great. The Missus lil' Toyota had a lump in the rf tire so I got one of her winter ones put on.......$17 (&^&*()_ I brought them to the shop, they didn't have to take off or balance.... I gave them a 20 and said," if you are that hard up for money here is a donation".
I have been to PA a few times with good memories.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Ripped my driver side door apart & replaced the window regulator/motor. My original regulator got tore up when the screws holding the motor on loosened up. A few plastic door panel retainers were broken or missing, but I bought a bag of 100 a few years ago. Greased up the tracks, rollers & linkages with white lithium grease. Washed all the windows & wipers with ammonia-based cleaner. Gotta relearn how to drive my truck without wrestling the window up & down. $32/shipped on ebay. I even got to keep the old motor just in case. The scrapes & scratches on my arms will heal eventually...

Next project is the crazy wiper motor/circuit board. I bought it used at a junk yard & it worked ok for a few years, now it stops when & where it damn well pleases. High, low, delay, ya just never know with this thing. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. $10 for a new circuit board on ebay.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ripped my driver side door apart & replaced the window regulator/motor. My original regulator got tore up when the screws holding the motor on loosened up. A few plastic door panel retainers were broken or missing, but I bought a bag of 100 a few years ago. Greased up the tracks, rollers & linkages with white lithium grease. Washed all the windows & wipers with ammonia-based cleaner. Gotta relearn how to drive my truck without wrestling the window up & down. $32/shipped on ebay. I even got to keep the old motor just in case. The scrapes & scratches on my arms will heal eventually...

I know that story with the Suburban. Getting it apart to replace the door handle was an exercise in scraped and bruised fore arms.

Next project is the crazy wiper motor/circuit board. I bought it used at a junk yard & it worked ok for a few years, now it stops when & where it damn well pleases. High, low, delay, ya just never know with this thing. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. $10 for a new circuit board on ebay.
My Ford Focus is doing the same thing but when I put the Autel scanner on it. it's telling me the ECM has a fault in it so I presume the brain box that controls everything else is also controlling the wiper motor. Not about to fiddle with that. A new ECM is huge bucks plus it would need to be programmed for the vehicle.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Gonna try to resolder the circuit board in the hopes that the solder has weakened or corroded. The unit is a used junkyard replacement from a 91, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You have me wondering if my wipers on my Focus also have an independent 'brain board' separate from the ECM. I'll have to do some snooping as my wipers sometime have a 'mind of their own'....

281 - 293 of 293 Posts