Tractor Forum banner
261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
2021 to do/wish list:

Replace both outer rocker panels. I have the right side but need to acquire the left side.

Repair, sand & paint left cab corner. It's been replaced a couple years ago, but some rust is popping through the paint.

Weld in a patch about the size of a golfball to the lower rear section of the left front fender.

Replace the right front fender.

Replace the rear bumper.

Repair a few rust spots on top of the cab above the windshield.

Repaint the cab white.

Install 5 cab marker lights, which I have.

Repaint bed white.

Sand & paint frame gloss black.

Install new exhaust system, which I have, except for a 4 or 5 foot length of 3 inch pipe that goes between the cat & muffler.

Replace front brake pads & check rear brake shoes.

Replace headliner.

Replace both sun visors.

Replace driver side window regulator & motor.

Replace the Z71 decals, Silverado badges & side moldings with new pieces after paint.

I'm sure there will be more to add to the list. We'll see what I can actually accomplish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
It looks like I won't be buying a new truck anytime soon, so I gotta do what I can to keep this truck going. A window regulator with motor is about $30 on ebay, rocker panel is about $30. Decals & trim are low on the list. I have some white automotive paint. The tailgate works good for now, even though it's rusting out on the bottom left side. I picked up a used, bent replacement, but it's really not good enough to be on my truck, so it's up for sale on craigslist right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Registered
896 Posts
Got to make extra sure the frame is solid. My 05 chevy had terminal frame rot, and I've seen several pictures of 90s chevys that buckled unexpectedly, so I know it's not just the later era that does this. I went to an older Ford because it still had a C channel frame. It needs plenty of work, but I will be investing that money onto a known solid foundation. The first two new vehicles I've ever purchased went to the graves with perfect driveline and rust induced frame failures.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
New spark plug wires took care of the stumbling while accelerating from a stop after it warmed up. Paid $16 on ebay for wires made in the USA. Half the price of a cheap set at the local auto parts store.

Today I noticed a leaking power steering hose. Ordered both hoses on ebay. They are both the same age, so...

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Interesting thread (read the entire thread). You need to drop the pan on the trans and change the filter, it's way, way past time but don't change the fluid. Put the old fluid back in (if it's not burnt that is), just clean the pan and replace the filter. If it's burnt, replace it but it may or may not shift properly, always a crap shoot with older tranny's. I'd be changing the front and rear diff fluids too.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Actually, with a slush box, you should change the fluid every 50K or so. Most people never do and then you have issues. AT's are always expensive to fix. Worst thing you can do is take it in and have it 'flushed'. All that does is dislodge any band material that is lodged inside and clog the works up. AT's have no gears inside. Every 'gear' change is actually a clutch pack.

Nice buggy though. I hope my wife's Suburban lasts that long.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Actually, with a slush box, you should change the fluid every 50K or so. Most people never do and then you have issues. AT's are always expensive to fix. Worst thing you can do is take it in and have it 'flushed'. All that does is dislodge any band material that is lodged inside and clog the works up. AT's have no gears inside. Every 'gear' change is actually a clutch pack.

Nice buggy though. I hope my wife's Suburban lasts that long.
They do have reduction gears.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No, they don't unless you are referring to the planets. All the power transmission is through multiple wet clutch packs actuated by pressurized ATF.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Finally replaced the exhaust system after my muffler decided to go MIA. I found it a couple days later but it was DOA.

I bought a muffler & tailpipes a while back, but needed a pipe custom-bent over the crossmember, from the cat to the muffler.

Took it to a muffler shop & they made a pipe, then assembled my parts. Instead of both tailpipes exiting straight back, they made them exit behind the rear wheels. I would prefer they angled back somewhat, but that's all they could do with what I provided to them. They didn't use the hangers that came with the kit but welded a couple hangers on that used the original rubber insulators. They used my clamps that came with the kit, but broke one because they were not the heavy duty type. I should replace them or mig the seams.

Also, I picked up a nice right front fender from a 1999 Suburban for $50. It's blue, but I do have some white automotive paint. The whole truck needs a repaint after some rust remediation. Time for a color change? I have some dark blue...
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Window Grille

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Picked up a good used rear bumper for $80. Originally went to look at a tailgate, the guy asked if I needed any other parts. Needs a good scrubbing with an SOS pad, rust removal on the inner brace, then a coat of POR15 on the inner surface. A license plate light is missing, but I'll pick the best of the 2 on my original bumper. The rear plastic impact strip is also missing, but my original is reusable. Gotta reuse my bumper brackets, too.

Passed on the tailgate. It had a rust bubble in the pinch weld at the bottom left, next to the hinge. I have a rust-free tailgate with a bow in it. I'm thinking about cutting the bottom off of it & welding it onto my original tailgate if I can't find one that's nice. And cheap.

Attachments

261 - 280 of 293 Posts