Tractor Forum banner
241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Replaced the left tailgate hinge. Had to chisel off the spot weld in the center. The rest was mostly rotted & twisted. Sprayed primer on the tailgate & hinge before installation. May have to tack a weld on the corners to kep the hinge from shifting. Gotta get the right hinge on the truck & install it before it's too late. Tailgate rusting along the bottom on the left side. Damn road salt.

LED light strip arrived, but I'm gonna wait til I have the battery issues resolved.
Road surface Asphalt Wood Soil Terrestrial animal
Helmet Jaw Automotive lighting Tool Bumper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
I had an '85 Suburban with the tailgate, for about 20-25 years. The bottom rotted out of the tail gate, along with about half of the rear window track! I never even tried to use the tailgate for the last 10 years I had the darn thing. Road salt is horrid, but folks these days can't seem to drive on anything but bare pavement or they get into trouble, it seems.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Nice rig and congratulations on your scrounging and trading abilities!

Reactions: TecumsehBriggs

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Had to do a "field expedient repair" the other day. Muffler hanger broke off. Whipped out a wire coat hanger, wrapped it around both outlets & the frame hanger. Perfect fit.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Woohoo! Bought a brand new Exide battery for the truck today. Advertised on Home Depot's website for $89 for a size 78 battery, 800 cold cranking amps. Not the same when I got there. Same battery was $99, not $89. Showed them the ad & they honored it. Gave me $12 for my old one. Bought a new brass bolt at the auto parts store on the way home. Installed in the snow. 3 year warranty.

Tax return came in. Taking $200 for the parts I need for my exhaust system. Little at a time...

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Bought 3 plate stickers, 1 for each vehicle. Had to wait one hour for the computer system to come back online.
Removed the old plate sticker & installed a new one.
Doing a visual inspection tomorrow in my buddy's heated garage so I can make a list of exhaust parts needed. May or may not need a muffler, but definitely need tailpipes & hangers.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Exhaust shop wanted $581+tax for a new exhaust system. Stainless tips another $69 each. Pass! Ordered a muffler/dual tailpipe kit on ebay for $150 on Monday. Arrived today (Thursday). Still need to have a shop custom bend an intermediate pipe for me, since it's now a custom exhaust. Hope it's under $100. I can install it. Just need someone with a bender to bend it.
Hood Wood Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades
Cable Wire Wood Auto part Audio equipment
Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Bicycle part

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Removed the non-working LED light strip between the tailgate & bumper, sanded the area & applied a coat of POR15. Did the same to the slightly rusty taillight opening on the right side. Still gotta do the left side & a 2nd coat across the bottom before I install the new LED light strip.

Made a new right side tailgate hinge, on the truck, using the original hinge base & welding on a solid chunk of steel my buddy got from a machine shop. Chucked it in a lathe & faced off both ends. Over to the Bridgeport & milled off the sides. Cut it to length with a chop saw. A little grinding & filing, then welded it to the original base after grinding away the rusted part. Some self-etching primer, followed by POR15 & onto the truck after 24 hours curing time. Sprayed some white lith grease on both hinges. Works nice & smooth.

Now, some new exhaust, a new rear bumper, a license plate sticker, a pair of new visors, front brakes, both rocker panels...

Jaw Finger Metal Artifact Auto part
Natural material Jaw Finger Creative arts Art
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive design Locking hubs Gas

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Removed the left taillight assembly, scraped the rust, sanded & painted the opening with POR15. Sanded the area between the tailgate & bumper & applied a 2nd coat of POR15. After a couple days, I plan on installing a 60" led multi-function light strip. Plugs into the 4 flat trailer connector. For now, I have to unplug it to use the trailer. I ordered a y connector harness on ebay which is on a slow boat from Hong Kong. Got a throttle postion sensor on the way, too. Sputters when it warms up, loss of power, etc. These & other symptoms which indicate a bad tps.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Bought a throttle position sensor on ebay. 4 days later some random gasket shows up. Wtf is this, I ask myself? I have no idea what this 30 cent gasket goes to. Contacted the seller & they apologized, sent out another with a tracking number. Should be here tomorrow, according to the location on the tracking site. Shipping from New Jersey to Illinois.
Organism Pink Font Red Pattern

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Installed the led light strip using the new y adaptor. Greased up all plugs with dielectric grease, taped on a couple lengths of plastic wire loom cover & zip tied everything out of the way. Plugged the reverse light wire into the socket & plugged in the taillight socket. Everything works like it should. Nice & bright.

Soon, the tps...
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Plant
Finger Nail Thumb Camera accessory Cameras & optics

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I've forgotten if your truck is gas or diesel. New distributor cap?

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 · (Edited)
I've forgotten if your truck is gas or diesel. New distributor cap?
It's gas. I've replaced the distributor cap, rotor, ignition module, coolant temp sensor, ignition coil, map sensor, egr valve, spark plugs, engine-to-frame & body-to-frame ground straps, idle air control sensor & throttle position sensor.

Next step would be spark plug wires & possibly oxygen sensor, I guess. It only sputters on acceleration after it gets up to operating temperature. According to the youtube videos I've seen, the culprit should be the tps. A buddy of mine with a few similar trucks had the same issue. He changed the tps & problem solved.

Looking at more related videos, it seems a common denominator is the O2 sensor. I don't have a scan tool, so it's hard for me to diagnose things. Since the O2 sensor is relatively inexpensive and, as far as I know original, it may be time to replace it.

More to come...

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 · (Edited)
Replaced the oxygen sensor with a new one. Came out easy enough. Had to loosen, tighten, loosen some more, etc. Wiring connector was a pain to reach. It's above the cat & can only fit one hand up there at a time. Dabbed a small amount of anti-seize on the threads with a Q tip & dabbed some dielectric grease into the wiring connector using the other end of the Q tip. Sensor went in easy enough, but the wiring connector took longer to connect using one hand that is numb & tingling from the nerve damage to my right shoulder & arthritis in both hands. I finally lined it up & felt it click into place. Ran it up to temp, drove it around. Used it for a few days & haven't felt the stumble or hesitation while accelerating from a stop so far. Fingers crossed.

Gonna need a window regulator for driver side. Took the inner panel off & looked inside. Gears chewed up. It's on the wish list, along with: 3" exhaust pipe about 5' long, rear bumper, new sun visors, driver side rocker panel (I have the passenger side), paint (Alpine White), new Silverado emblems for the cab, side molding kit & Z71 decals for the bed. Maybe Santa will make up for not bringing me a Tonka car carrier when I was a kid. Doubt it. Jerk...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Finger
Plant Road surface Branch Asphalt Wood
Asphalt Grass Plant Road surface Soil

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Well, after a couple weeks of driving, it still seems to sputter when accelerating after a stop when it's warmed up. Doesn't do it every single time, just enough to be aggravating. I can accelerate slowly & coax it out of the sputter sometimes.

241 - 260 of 293 Posts