Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New truck (to me), new thread. 95 Silverado Z71

Recently bought a '95 Chevy Z71 pickup, extended cab, short bed. Needed a starter which I got at a junk yard for $30 a few days after I bought the truck. Bought a new pair of wiper blades for $12 & a replacement driver side mirror face for $8.

Next came 2 trailer hitch ballmounts; one with a 6" drop & a 2" ball, the other with a 5.25" drop. Both were $10.

We were also able to find a FREE plastic bedliner, tailgate protector & a rubber bed mat for free on craigslist.

Looking now for a set of 4 tires...

Attachments

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks to my buddy tractorwrangler, we were able to procure an aluminum diamondplate toolbox & an aluminum diamondplate bed cover for $90! The bed cover was previously on an F-150, so we had to modify it to fit the Chevy. Looks like it belongs there.

Attachments

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, she's an Arkansas truck with the only real rust attacking the cab corners. New dual exhaust. The gray interior is almost perfect.

I paid $1500 for this truck, then sold the rusty '95 Sonoma (with the utility bed) for $1200...effectively making this a $300 truck!

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Nicely done TB! White to boot....Wooooo!!!:D

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hoping for blue, black, or green. The timing indicated otherwise. The price was right at $1500. The frame was rotted through on the Sonoma, so it had to go.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I'm on the lookout for a set of sidesteps, maybe a brushguard, a pair of cab corners & a set of tires. Clearance lights for the cab are on the list, too...

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A buddy of mine donated his used tires. He gave me nine of them, all the same size (265/75r16), making the selection easier. A couple tires were toast, a couple were iffy. Luckily, 4 were WAY better than the ones on my truck. I feel a little safer driving the truck now.

·
Bovi-Sapiens
2,423 Posts
If you need used tires, check your local junkyards. We have one in the area that sells a pair of used tires for $50 or so. They pull them off all the incoming cars, so sometimes you get a nearly new set for dirt cheap. The fronts and rears may not match, but at least they would be decent tires.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked a couple junk yards & found some wheel/tire combinations for $30 each. Didn't have the money, so I went with the freebies.

I picked up a set of 4 like-new Goodyear SRA, 305/60/20 tires for free through craigslist. Had them up for sale or trade for about 2 months, hoping to get a like-new set for my truck in return. Sold them Sunday for $800!

Attachments

·
Banned
8,093 Posts
I checked a couple junk yards & found some wheel/tire combinations for $30 each. Didn't have the money, so I went with the freebies.

I picked up a set of 4 like-new Goodyear SRA, 305/60/20 tires for free through craigslist. Had them up for sale or trade for about 2 months, hoping to get a like-new set for my truck in return. Sold them Sunday for $800!
Tire prices are going nutz!

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When new, these tires were $1,400...before mounting & balancing. Somebody got a like-new set of tires. I got $800, but that all went to bills. I was hoping to trade even up, but the cash came first.

I would have used these tires on my truck, but couldn't find a free or cheap set of 20" rims. PLUS...I'd have to do a suspension lift. I'm pretty sure the biggest tires I can use on my truck without a lift are 285/75 R16.

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a full load on Saturday...8 heavy duty wood cabinets, 12 commercial light fixtures, a couple gas cans, a wheelbarrow & a sign that says,"You Are Now In Bedford Falls". All free. Most of this went to tractorwrangler's garage.

Attachments

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a pair of cab corner patch panels for Christmas, as well as the rear side window latch parts that were broken before I owned the truck. Will have to wait for spring to install the panels, since there will be considerable cutting & welding. I will also need to lift the bed up so I can get to the rear of the cab. That will take a couple days to complete. Luckily last year I bought a new argon tank & some new parts for the mig welder. I'm ready.

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Isn't it nice when a plan falls into place? :D

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So far, the truck has been starting in the recent sub-zero weather we're experiencing in the midwest. Spent about 2 hours clearing over a foot of snow from vehicles & driveway/walkways. Bought a bunch of supplies just before the storm hit. Don't need to leave the house for awhile...

1 - 20 of 293 Posts