Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using a Stihl FS52 stringer that I bought used for 12 years or so. It's been a great little trimmer for around my yard. I have also been using it for heavy cutting out at my acreage. I determined that is just wasn't cutting it anymore (pun intended) out on my land. So yesterday, I bought a Redmax BCZ2400S.

I'd say it's comparable to a Stihl FS80 or FS85 although with just slightly less displacement (23.6cc). The reason I went with Redmax is because it was reasonably priced at my Deere dealer. I also see lawn pros using them, and I've read mostly great reviews on them.

I've only got about 30-40 minutes on it, but wow(!) am I really impressed with how well it performs. It seems really well constructed. Time will tell if it will be trouble free and how well it holds up. It looks like it may be a discontinued model, but it has a good rep and you can still find them.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
any big improvements in design?

ive got a 7 year old 'stringer' and was wondering if the new ones are any different? lighter better design? more powerful?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s_j,

Well I don't know what to compare it to, other than the Stihl FS52 curved shaft trimmer that I've used for about 12 years.

It weighs 11.7 pounds, is well balanced, with a straight shaft, and has a lot of power. I know the "tap & go" head on my old Stihl was a misnomer, as I was constantly opening up the head to unweld the trimmer line.

This "tap & go" head works wonderfully, but it is brand new. I can't finesse trim as well as I could with the old curve shafted Stihl. I don't think I've killed any trees yet.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Man you should have got a Stihl........Just kidding, I check the lawn cafe and lawn site quite a bit and Redmax is one of the names they mention quite a bit. If the pros are using them a lot they can't be all bad. I love the straight shaft on my Stihl I am not bending over all the time. I have a tap and go as well and have had only a couple of problems with the line. I use Stihl .095 line. It came with the machine so I will use it up and see what happens. I do like the Husky titanium line as well, it holds up pretty well. Best of luck with the new machine I am sure it will be a great machine for you! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Stewart.

I could have easily ended up with a Stihl, but that's just the way the cards fell, mainly because I have a good relationship with my Deere dealer. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the commercial offerings from the big players. I think it came with .095 line, and I also got some Redmax replacement line. Seems like pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Maybe we will have to have a "trim off" one of these days and see just who has the baddest trimmer!!!! Think we could make money on it???

Like you said I don't think you can go wrong with one of the commercial machines They may cost more but are worth the extra cash!:hide:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i guess there is not much to do to improve the design of those things.. shortly after i got my blower - echo 7 years old.. i noticed they came had those back mounted blowers.. they seem bulky but look to be easier to use..

my brother loves his..

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an Echo blower/vac that is about 4 years old. It's really lightweight. When you convert it to a vac, it has a shoulder strap on the collection bag that works ok. The only thing I don't like is changing out the tubes. They can be a PITA to put on. I shoot some silicone spray on them when I change them out. I cant imagine and elderly person having to wrestle with that everytime.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Stewart
Maybe we will have to have a "trim off" one of these days and see just who has the baddest trimmer!!!! Think we could make money on it???

Like you said I don't think you can go wrong with one of the commercial machines They may cost more but are worth the extra cash!:hide:
I will bring my kevlar impregnated line to the trim off. :D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Thanks, Stewart.

I could have easily ended up with a Stihl, but that's just the way the cards fell, mainly because I have a good relationship with my Deere dealer. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the commercial offerings from the big players. I think it came with .095 line, and I also got some Redmax replacement line. Seems like pretty good stuff.
Sounds like you got a really nice trimmer Mow. I have had the best results with .105 trimmer line. It holds up the best to abuse and has cut the amount of trimmer line I use by about 80%. I was using .80 trimmer line but it broke off so easy that I found that I was reloading trimmer heads with line every other week. The .105 trimmer line lasts the entire season on two trimmer head reloads. It can also take down just about anything with in reason and not break off. Enjoy swinging the new trimmer! :D ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts