Tractor Forum banner

New member in Michigan

205 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Sillycat41
Hello - I own a 1950's vintage Oliver OC3 and am hoping to get some tips on upkeep. Last fall I discovered a local mechanic who worked on them and had a worn sprocket replaced because the track kept coming off, He also checked a few other things as it hadn't been used in a couple of years and it seemed to run fine for the few times we used it for removing snow. The other day when in gear the clutch started making a squealing as it was released. When pushing the clutch in the noise went away. It's not slipping but could this be a bearing problem or need of lubricate? My knowledge of tractor mechanic is very limited... I'm in wood. 馃槈

I notice that there is not much activity on this forum about OC3s but thought someone might have some insight into the problem and whether I can fix it myself or have to get it hauled into the shop again. Thanks in advance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

and enjoy the forum!
Thanks! Now I have to revise my description of the noise. My husband said it sounded like squealing but I went out and listened yesterday and it sounds more like grinding so I'm thinking that it is the transmission and not the clutch. 馃槖 Not good... if it can be repaired it will be expensive. :(
Welcome to the forum. Grinding can't be good! I wonder if a splined shaft is striped? Do you have a repair manual?
Welcome to the forum. Grinding can't be good! I wonder if a splined shaft is striped? Do you have a repair manual?
:cautious:
Unfortunately no manual. I never heard the term "splined shaft"... is that part of the transmission?
Here is a picture of the Oliver OC-3 clutch disc. The hole in the center is splined to accept a output shaft with the opposite but matching splines to transfer rotation from the engine to the transmission....

Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

I may have explained this poorly but it was just a suggestion as to what the issue could be.
See less See more
Here is a picture of the Oliver OC-3 clutch disc. The hole in the center is splined to accept a output shaft with the opposite but matching splines to transfer rotation from the engine to the transmission....

View attachment 85158
I may have explained this poorly but it was just a suggestion as to what the issue could be.
Okay, thanks. Definitely will be an expensive repair job. :(
I didn't say that was your issue, just one of a few possibilities, is all.
I didn't say that was your issue, just one of a few possibilities, is all.
Yes, I realize that. I'm just assuming that any repairs to the transmission, clutch, etc. are going to be expensive.
Reactions: 1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts