Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got my lawn put in yesterday, and this is the first time I have had to care for such a large aera of new lawn. Other then keeping the seed moist untill it starts growing, anything else I should do, not do? How long do I wait for the first cut? Any ferts? This all cost a pretty penny, and I would hate to see it just die. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Im no expert and this would be my first year with a "nice lawn"..

It will be many weeks before you have growth, hopefully a starter fert was dropped along with the seed....its a waiting game
for now until its starts growing in....plenty of water until then.

Weed control or premergent would be next, along with grub control to kill next years eggs for grubs(merrit), maybe lime to correct PH in some areas?

I follow Lesco's steps to a tee...its the only program that has truely worked for me, plus they sell in bulk (50 lb bags)
maybe they have a location near you - they give free advice as well

www.lesco.com

Duc

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
looiks good paul, i cant make it out form the pics.. whats the seed covered with it looks green tinted...

is that a hydroseed or seed mix? were you plannig to put hay or straw on top to keep it moist?

as duc mentioned. not fert on new seed for 6 weeks (i think) unless its starter fert.

did you lime the soil? i beleive you can lime and seed at the same time...

looks good.. nice and level

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Looks nice Paul. It appears to be hydroseed, if that's the case just keep it moist until you have some growth. Wait as long as possible before you cut it as your just establishing roots and the tires from the mower will take them out pretty quick. Remember it'll be pretty thin so height won't be an issue with first cut.

I don't think I would put any pre-emergant on this year, maybe some mild starter fertilizer to help it along as I believe was already suggested.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Looks great to me, what type of grass seed did they spray?

Water is the main thing it needs now. I can't remember how long it took to mow ours. You may want to pick up a new set of blades for the mower or make sure they are sharp. New grass will come out pretty easy!

I hope someone can tell when to mow it the first time and when to weed and feed etc.:D I will see what I can find!:idea:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
wow that hydroseeding looks awesome.. is it bigs bucks to do an area the size you did paul?

saves a lot of time i bet..

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by simple_john
wow that hydroseeding looks awesome.. is it bigs bucks to do an area the size you did paul?

saves a lot of time i bet..
OH ya. Can buy a pretty nice vintage tractor for what I have in that lawn.:eek:

·
Registered
477 Posts
That does look nice. I dunno much about that stuff either. I was working an area 15'x30' or so, and my neighbor came over with a bag of that stuff and just threw it around. After the warm weather hit, it was growing in no time, but I think it has to be above 55 degrees before grass seed will germinate, which it was not when it was sewn.

I could see why you'd be concerned- I wouldnt want to mess it up either! Sorry I cant offer any info, but I am interested in hearing what you end up doing.

Good luck,
Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys. A few answers for you.

Yes it is hydrosead.

I is a mix of sead, fert, and a paper type mulch to hold the water.

I was figuring on letting it get a bit long. When most of it gets a bit over 3" I was thinking of cutting it.

I was kinda thinking of the first time to mow it with the hand mower. Figure it would do the least damage.

Good call on the sharp blade. Did not eaven think of the grass ripping out.

no Idea what king of grass it was. Never thought to ask.

Lastly, I want to keep mostly organic in my lawn care. Anyone know of something organic that would be good as a starter fert? What number [npk] should a starter fert be?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK lawn is growing AWSOME!!! Only had a few dry days, so it was kept nice and damp. If anything it has been TOO wet, a little wash out in places, but looking good. I am figuring in the next week, it will need it's first mowing. It is SO nice to not have mud!!!!!!!:D :D :D :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Hold off on the first mowing as long as you can. Give the grass time to fill in and establish itself....when the summer heat kicks in let the grass grow higher if it wont be watered by you...helps it ride out the heat better when not cropped short

Duc

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya was kinda kidding about the mowing this soon:)

I was planning on waiting till about 75% or so of it gets a little over 3" tall. Wonder whats worse, mowing new grass plants before they are to established, or mowing of to much lenght?

Am also planing on doing the first few with the push mower. Figure that will be better then the weight of the tractor, and I have a brand new blade waiting to on for that first cut.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
ya was kinda kidding about the mowing this soon:)

I was planning on waiting till about 75% or so of it gets a little over 3" tall. Wonder whats worse, mowing new grass plants before they are to established, or mowing of to much lenght?

You are a few weeks before mowing thats for sure- but it looks good..

Your first mow should be as little as possible 1/2 " ?? just to make the grass grow even....

I suppose you wont be watering during the hot months? Thats a big area to cover without a system...so the height should be higher during the hot dry periods...

Dont know about you but this rain crap has to go - I was just about to get my driveway paved finally - and the sky took at dump on everybody...had to pack up and call it a day, maybe next week ...great :mad:

Duc

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Argee
WoW....that's a lot of area to push mow:eek:

Yes it is. LOTS. Hey well nothing is to good for my little grass plants:D :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts