Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take advantage of the extreme dry weather we have been having, and since this is the 2nd time in over 20 years my ponds water level has dropped I figured it would be a good time to redo the enclosure I had in my larger pond in which I keep my Koi and goldfish. I used PVC pipe of 1 1/2" diam and also 1 1/4" diam to make the framework out of (heck of a lot of glue joints with a ton of fittings) and fabricated a large frame, which I covered with aquaculture netting. I utilized the framework of the enclosure as a manifold to pipe various things in the water garden along the enclosure shore side , such as water falls, and an additional smaller pond on the bank with water. I installed a fountain head on the frames top rail, and have additional T's installed here and there in the vertical and horizontal frame pieces (currently have plugs n most of them) so I can easily tap into this manifold as I add things. I just run the pump to the frame, and it fillws with pressurized water. Keeps a ton of pipe etc off of the ponds bottom.. The wife wanted some underwater lights installed, and after suffering sticker shock at what the price of underwater lighting was, I made up a few lights from PVC using various wattages of halogen bulbs which work great. As usual one thing leads to another, so we ripped out the water gardens flowers etc and redid it again..that makes about 4 or 5 times this year we revamped it, but I think we finally have what we want now............Night time view is super. With the lights under the water and positioned under the various aquatic plants like lotus and lillies etc you see the silouettes of the leaves etc, and the tiny minnows etc swimming around......and then you can tell when Koi goes by or over the light as you get a orange or yellowish tint, which is pretty interesting. My water is not crystal clear as it would be expensive to filter about 2.5 mil gal of natural pond water, but it h as good visibility. Coupled with the blue dye it really looks nice. My real blue water is now a more green blue color which is even more natural looking as there just is blue water ponds, and the color blue green it is now just looks better than the original blue or the natural color it was previously.......grey/green.

I have yet to have a heron around since placing my gator on the shoreline..........so Wally the gatopr is doing his job. I am always picking up all kinds of odds and ends in the yard though since I placed him out there in plain sight of the roadway. Seems folks stop and check him out and can't decide if its real or not, and they throw things at him to see if they can get it to move. I have found ball point pens, golf balls, baby bottle, beer cans, soda cans, a tennis shoe, pieces of tree limbs, softball etc........The stuff had to be thrown at him as their is a chainlink fence along the roadway and all these items are congregated near or around the gator........He still has not gotten shot at yet, but with all these rednecks around here its just a matter of time.......
I am now running a bunch of low voltage lights, that th wife wants added here and there. I acquired a dual 300 watt transformer with photo cell and timers (600 watts total) for a bargain at Home depot. So she can run quite a lot of low voltage lights now,,,well actually tell me where she wants them and I have to install them........you know how that goes......I only paid $39.00 for the transformer, as it was a display model......but it never had power applied to it until I bought it........saved over $150 on this transformer, so it was a bargain that was just too hard to pass up.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
My uncle had problems with Herons eating his fish. I'll tell him about the gator, he is in Florida so it will work. My brother in NJ has had racoon problems, The racoons think his fish pond is a "McDonalds" for them. He has killed several, but there always seem to be more.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Koi are doing just fine since I dosed the pond with Potassium Permanganate to get rid of all those excessive nutrients Ivan dumped n the water..........The koi got a bit sluggish once the water temp got below about 50 deg, but the water temp is back up in the 60's and they are now being typical koi, always begging for food when I go near the pond..............Those jokers are aways hungry, now I know why lots of folks cal em pond pigs.........At least when they get sluggish and sort of semi hibernate they are not interested in food........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts