Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Kohler Courage engine is here. Yesterday, we received some of the 2004 Husqvarna tractors in, had no clue until we poped the hood and there it was, the 20 hp single cylinder Kohler Courage engine. I wasn't told what engine it would be when ordering, it's kinda like a Cracker Jack box and we just dig in to see what we got. It's different, twin cam overhead valve with no oil pan on the bottom, looks different. The block is smooth on the sides because there's no bolts anywhere on the bottom. I observed that to remove the piston from the engine, you would remove shrouding and the flywheel and gain access to the top plate and remove, then you should look down inside the crankcase. If my theory is correct , you will be able to remove piston assy without even having to remove the engine from the frame. WOW. The valves appear to be on different sides of the block like a HEMI. Then we fired it up , yep what a different sound.
It looks and sounds great. I have a link to Kohler if you'd like to see. By the way, Lowes and Sears will be stocking Husqvarna tractors this year, some Sears did last year. I think it's going to expand. I recommend buying from your local dealer for service though.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/press/pr_courage.html

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Looks interesting, looking forward to seeing one.

Amicks - While we're on the subject of Kohler engines, I have the 25HP twin in my GT5000. It is a California emissions engine with no provision to adjust the idle fuel/air mixture. Would you by chance know if there is a jetted carb available for this engine?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Now if they take that tech, and put into a twin...... Are 30hp lawn tractors that far away?

Now is it me, or is this HP race getting out of hand? Not that HP is bad, OMG no, just is it REALY needed in a lawn tractor?

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Now if they take that tech, and put into a twin...... Are 30hp lawn tractors that far away?

Now is it me, or is this HP race getting out of hand? Not that HP is bad, OMG no, just is it REALY needed in a lawn tractor?
You do if you start running bigger and bigger implements.

Also, the engine manufacturers have a unique way of measuring that HP, with absolutely no load on the engine, not even an ammeter, muffler, etc. Nothing that will take away the raw power. So what is the true HP of the modern V-twin? Your guess is as good as mine. Anybody else have an idea?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I agree, Argee, that there is a need for more power with the bigger stuff that's coming out. You are also right in saying these "ratings" do not give a "true" indication of the actual power of these units. The rating is a "peak" number that is probably in a very small segment of the engines power curve or power band. And, as you said, with no load.

TORQUE is what really matters. A lot of people claim that the older 7 to 13 HP single cylinder lawn/garden tractors could easily mow through tall stuff without hardly bogging down. I believe this, as these single cylinder motors had a longer stroke and a heavier flywheel, hence greater inertia which equals more TORQUE.

I think a lot of the HP wars are purely a marketing strategy by the manufacturers, since bigger riders with higher HP have made there way into retail segment (ie HD, Lowe's).

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I can remember

when i was a kid the biggest push mower had a 3.5 HP motor now if you want a 3.5 HP it a cheap mower. 5 to 6HP is pretty much the standard now.
Jody

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I remember my dad had black Sears pushmower, probably an early 60's model. It had a Tecumseh with a windup spring starter. Man that old mower seemed heavy when I was a kid.

When he bought Lawnboy in the mid 70's, it was a big difference weight-wise. Both were 3.5 HP I believe, and were hard to stall, especially the 2 stroke Lawnboy!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Re: I can remember

Originally posted by jodyand
when i was a kid the biggest push mower had a 3.5 HP motor now if you want a 3.5 HP it a cheap mower. 5 to 6HP is pretty much the standard now.
Jody
You must b e a youngin then :)

Biggest mower we had was what sized sycthe (sp) I choose to cut the grass, as the puish type non-motorized reel type mower was always messed up and would never cut grass right. I thought I was in hog heaven when my dad brought home a converted type reel mower with a cast iron B & S engine that had a foot pedal you pushed down on that engaged a gear and spun the motor over. Only thing was that motor never wanted to wtart, but the mower was functional by pushing it by hand. Heck of a note, a reel type mower that did not cut grass, and a reel type mower with a gas engine that did not work but could cut grass manually. Folks probably thought I was nuts pushing around a mower that had an engine on it that was not running. Soprt of like that joke about a person cutting logs with a chain saw, and someone else xame by and asked how it was going. He replied, pretty durn good, but its hard slow work. The other fellow shrugged, and walked over to a pile of logs, and fired up his saw, whereas the other guy turned around to see what the noise was........I thought it was cute when I first heard that years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
The neighbor's teen was mowing one day (rare site) with a self propelled Lawnboy. He must have been doing some grumbling, his dad came out and turned off the gear drive an made him make several passes the old way. I heard his dad tell him that's the they pushed when I was a kid.

Sometimes we all need a little reminder from our elders just how lucky we are. I'm 37 and my dad still reminds me of how he trimmed a cemetary with hand shears and a push reel mower.

Mark

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Oh Andy you rehijacked the thread back to the Kohler engine update..

One thing I was wondering about is the fact that Cub Cadet did not use these new engines on the new 1000 series. but used Briggs engines on the new line

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Argee, I'm not sure about the carb, I'll try to see what's available. By the way, why did you go to California to get a mower anyway, You know how they are.NANA Just kidding.

Michael, I'll have to guess, but I'd say they wanted to match JD's offering on price and delivery, Kohler can't compete with either. I will agree that Kohler builds some great engines, they just are always going to be more expensive. I don't think Kohler at their current level can build enough engines. Cub ran into problems with Kawasaki on engines last year and had to go to Briggs to get engines to fill orders. (Z-Force Mowers) As I said earlier, it's about price and delivery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts