Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I hit a huge rock in my yard with my new/20 year old craftsman hydro 1999.
  • Shredded mandrel bottoms (star male into blades)
  • Put new mandrels (3 bolt pattern) - then noticed checked drive (upper) belt
  • Changed upper belt to same size, but not OEM Kevlar belt
  • Blade drive belt pulley's (lower) move freely but with noise (belt working fine)
  • Drive pulley's (upper) will check tomorrow (worked okay before rock)
  • Drive belt lasted 1/2 hour and is now almost completely shredded through. I am pretty sure I had it correctly routed through the guards.
  • Deck is very off keel, 2" lower on right side (from front view) Tried to adjust the 2 front links to even out to no avail? (no back adjustment bar on this model)
  • Before I hit the rock it was operating fine (bit of an uneven cut, but operational)
Can post pics, serial, model numbers tomorrow if needed.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for the response.
BTW my deck was bent twisted to the tune of about an inch and a half, I put a block of wood on the low end and bounced on it a few times it's now within an eighth of an inch

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to post pulley status...
  • Passive pulley's are all good... (transmission pulley ? Should I check that somehow?)
  • As mentioned, I'm pretty sure that I had the belt routed correctly through the guides. Seemed to be in an obvious protective position.
  • No debris build up (upper belt)
Thanks again....

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
If the drive belt is a normal vee belt used in the conventional drive setup, this will not last long in a serpentine environment, -- that is having to snake back on itself, -- these type of drive belt don't like having the wider flats wrapped around a flat idler pulley and with the narrow VEE stretched the opposite way the belt is supposed to travel.

If you cannot see rub marks on the outside flat of the belt and the inside of the VEE, then the belt would have been under the guards and guides as required.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,
I hit a huge rock in my yard with my new/20 year old craftsman hydro 1999.
  • Shredded mandrel bottoms (star male into blades)
  • Put new mandrels (3 bolt pattern) - then noticed checked drive (upper) belt
  • Changed upper belt to same size, but not OEM Kevlar belt
  • Blade drive belt pulley's (lower) move freely but with noise (belt working fine)
  • Drive pulley's (upper) will check tomorrow (worked okay before rock)
  • Drive belt lasted 1/2 hour and is now almost completely shredded through. I am pretty sure I had it correctly routed through the guards.
  • Deck is very off keel, 2" lower on right side (from front view) Tried to adjust the 2 front links to even out to no avail? (no back adjustment bar on this model)
  • Before I hit the rock it was operating fine (bit of an uneven cut, but operational)
Can post pics, serial, model numbers tomorrow if needed.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
That from the pic was seriously rubbing against something. It's a wonder you couldn't smell it. That deck being 20yrs old could be warping under load throwing the belt off line.

I'm surprised just jumping on it you could reset a 2in offset.

Did you change the spindles because they had bad bearings, although I cant see how that would cause or affect this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@FredM - I bought it at a farm supply store of which they were aware it was to be used on a riding mower. The one that I changed out was also a "V" but looked to be 3/8". I was told at the FS store that it was due to being worn out and it was originally 1/2". Never mind rub marks, a 4" or so section was worn down to almost nothing (could have ripped with hands) and completely twisted

@John Liebermann -See above.... and ..... To be honest, (maybe not the right thing to do) but I think that the weakest link being the wheel brackets is what bent during me jumping on the deck, which allowed me to make the deck sit flat on level ground. The blades are pretty flush with one another also.

I changed one of the spindles because when I hit the rock, the star pattern male which accepts star pattern female in the centre (center) of the blade was rounded off badly enough that a blade could no longer be attached. The other spindle broke when I was trying to take it off. I was going to clean it. So in the end both were replaced. Although the pulleys on the deck are not perfect, they still move freely, but yes a bit of noise.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always release the clutch after drive belt installation and check entire route of belt. You will see right away if it is routed wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@scott f smith ... I will respond based on my thoughts that you are referring to the springs which control the engagement brakes.
Well seen as both engagement brakes were broken (2 new on order) That could certainly be, or at least compound the problem. A note on that though. Although the brake arms were both broken, the "springs" are fine and were stopping the blades metal to metal, so engagement was operational. But let's assume that they were not entirely stopping the blades and they were slipping and heating up. Do you think that this would be enough to violently twist and rip the belt apart. Not denying your prognosis, just trying to wrap my head around it.

@MARK ABELLI ... There is a diagram, I followed it, aswellas slipped the belt through the guides to which seemed to be the most obvious and appropriate route?

Thank you both for your replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts