Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Doc Fixem
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping I could get some assistance here. We baled grass hay this past week. Great weather. Excellent dry down. Cutting and raking went perfectly. I greased all the fittings on the old baler, checked twine supply, cleaned the knotters, etc and fired her up. I got started and the bales were ok, but I wanted them a little tighter. I cranked down the adjusters half a dozen rounds or so each, and set off again. Nice, tight bales. I had to hand off the baling so I could take care of making space in the barn, etc. When I went back to the field to start gathering the bales, they were all weak, floppy, falling apart. No other adjustment was done in my absence. My helper put the tractor back in the same gear and went to town. Why are all the bales messy? My only thought would be that the RPM's on the tractor were not up to PTO speed when my helper was running the show. I know this old baler has performed wonderfully in the past. Any insight here is appreciated.

Thanks,
Doc Fixem

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Good baler, but very picky about windrow size and ground speed. Just set everything up by the manual, and then experiment with the ground speed for the windrows you have. Watch the speed and windrow size this guy is baling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts