1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured New holland boomer leaking oil

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by kcash1, Nov 5, 2017.

1. kcash1

kcash1 New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    2013 New Holland Boomer 35

Oil is coming from this plate when the tractor is running. The cotter pin was sitting in this plate just like this when I found it. The hole doesn’t appear to be threaded so I do t think I’m missing some kind of plug. Maybe this is where a mid pto would connect???

Attached Files:

2. tractor beam

tractor beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    Is this on the side or directly underneath? Was there any sort of gasket material between the plate and tractor? I'd be checking your fluid levels straight up. Monday, I'd get in touch with your dealer and find out what goes in that hole if anything. Might be an actual drain but sure seems like there should at least be some sort of screen filter or something to at least keep the dirt out. Might be some sort of linkage went there with that tab welded to the back and the cotter. Hard to tell but the cotter pin looks painted black too? Kinda looks like a non factory paint job on the outside of the plate. It looks like you're getting dirt inside that area.

3. kcash1

kcash1 New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I checked fluid levels and nothing is out of wack. Oil was maybe 3/8” below full on stick. I’m pretty sure it is engine oil as it’s much darker than my hydro fluid.

4. tractor beam

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    Is it directly behind the engine then?

5. kcash1

kcash1 New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Did not appear to be any gasket material. Yes, the cotter pin is painted black where it was exposed. I bought this tractor New so that was done at the factory. This is directly underneath the tractor and looks like it might be where the trans meets the driveshaft or the PTO.

6. kcash1

kcash1 New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    At the same time that I noticed the oil leaking, I realized the tractor was overheating (I let the radiator screen get badly choked).

I checked the front axle oil and it was very low. I topped it off. Put the plate back on and have been running it for a few hours with no leaks.

Maybe that was actually coolant that had just picked up a bunch of grease on its way to the underside? If so, it doesn’t explain the low gear lube in the front axle. For now, I’m going to run it and just keep an eye on things.

7. pogobill

pogobill Registered User Staff Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Looks like a drain hole to me. The cotter pin is probably there to keep the hole clear so it can drain. What does your service manual say?

8. tractor beam

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    You'd still think with the rotating machined parts in there that there should be some sort of filter there to prevent the entry of dust, water and crud. I've had my tractor in some deep water out in my pasture on the creek. In the close up you can already see pieces of foreign matter in there on the shaft.

9. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy kcash1, welcome to the tractor forum.

That is a "weep" hole to indicate seal leakage. The intent of the cotter pin is to wiggle around and prevent mud or other debris from blocking the hole. If it is under the clutch housing, it would indicate leakage from either the rear main engine seal or the transmission input shaft seal. If it is further back, I don't know what this leak might indicate. You will need a service manual.

I would expect your 2013 Boomer to still be under warranty for this type problem?? Check with your dealership.

10. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    NEW HOLLAND OFFERS INDUSTRY-LEADING 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON BOOMER™ COMPACT TRACTORS

May 17, 2011

New Holland, PA (May 17, 2011) - New Holland has announced it is now backing its compact tractors with an industry-leading 5-year Boomer Guard5 limited warranty on all www.newholland.com/na

11. sixbales

May 17, 2011
    Do not procrastinate on this......warranty expiration is getting close.. Beware of the dealership making "petty" repairs until warranty expires. Keep records of when complaint was registered with them.

12. mrblanche

mrblanche New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    And, if the problem is not completely fixed before the warranty expiration date, give the dealer a letter detailing any existing problems and uncompleted repairs before the warranty expiration date. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says they have to fix any problem that occurs before the end of the warranty, even if it takes the next 10 years to fix it properly.