Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am new here. I got a 2 acre land with a new house and I am planning on having a garden. I am looking into getting some sort of mechanized tools for doing the hard work. I was looking at the Chinese 2 wheel walk behind tractors like df-15 or df-12 with the single cylinder diesel with the plow and the tiller.

Does anyone have any advice on them?

They Are cheap on alibaba and with both tiller and plow between 1500$ and 2000$

Are they legal in the USA as I cannot find any info on them.

The land I am planning is not to big so a 4wheel tractor will be overkill and to get the rear tine tiller 800$ seems like a lot of money for an underpowered tool

Please help me with advices if possible.

Regards,
Tim

·
Super Moderator
9,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Be careful you don't be ordering a Dong-Feng 15 Short range ballistic missile from the PRC. The df-15
Have you looked at a BCS or a used Gravely, if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
I'd be looking at a used BCS, Gravely or Troy Bilt tiller because they are much easier to get replacement parts for. All three are time tested proven designs. The Gravely machines offer the greatest assortment of attachments from rotary mowers, reel mowers, tillers, power brooms, snow blowers, front blades, sickle bar mowers, and the incredibly dangerous rotary saw meant to cut down trees.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alija00: What about lawn mowing? Do you ned something for both lawn and garden work? If only garden work, I would recommend a nice used 8 HP Troybilt tiller. Parts are easily available, although rarely needed. Same basic design for 50 or more years. The reason there are good used ones available, they often outlast the owners. Good luck.
Sheenist

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at wiki about volume production and YouTube about the Chinese copies of 2 wheeled tractors and it looked like they copied European USA and Japan models a lot and merged some aspects into that lineage. I liked the water cooled heavy duty cast iron Diesel engine they have it looks very serviceable with little mechanical tools. I looked and grillo and they seem very nice but plowing get ok after 4000$ Or more and I guess the serviceability is more complex for a user so ownership looks like it will cost even more.

The Chinese looks like they are selling close to 200k a year combined. I guess there will be parts and knowledge to repair them. Pity USA EU lost the capability to produce cheap 2wheel tractors but this is the reality.
I will look to get some manuals part lists about them before deciding.

I cannot believe that nobody has a comparable cast iron diesel at that price range in the USA or 500$ more than them. it looks like those are 50~60 technologies.

=Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. Be careful you don't be ordering a Dong-Feng 15 Short range ballistic missile from the PRC. The df-15
Have you looked at a BCS or a used Gravely, if you can find one.
Hahahahhaaha I did not thought of that. The 15kw engine looked like a good compromise.

=Tim

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
There are many more modern 2-wheel tractors coming out of Europe and eastern Europe.

Yanmar, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Shibaura are all great machines at 12Hp to almost 30Hp.

I live about 12 miles from the original Montgomery Wards store that started it all. Back in the day, they offered a 5Hp Walkbehind tractor. It was made by Simplicy.

It could be used as a walkbehind or as a riding tractor with the seat too!

A Yanmar diesel 2 wheel tractor would do the job nicely.

Yanmar has a wide range of tillers from power tillers used by professional farmers to walk-behind tillers that are used by hobby farmers.
Tillers|Agriculture|YANMAR

The Yanmars are made in Japan and India. And Yanmar offers PTO drive and belt drive too.

The Yanmar isn't a wimpy machine by any means. This video really shows how well it can perform in a harsh Ag environment.

AND, IF a person is a handy-man and clever, the 2-wheel can be modified to a 4-wheel by doing this. Amazing the power these Yanmar, Kubota and Mitsubishi machines can be. And we wonder how 2nd and 3rd world Ag gets food to our tables here in the USA and the EU. It's these small machines with great power! These seem to be better than an SCUT machine.

Here is the MODERN EU machines.

Another 2WD to 4WD conversion. AND this one can be switched back to 2WD use easily.

Bucher KT10 Quattro

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are many more modern 2-wheel tractors coming out of Europe and eastern Europe.

Yanmar, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Shibaura are all great machines at 12Hp to almost 30Hp.

I live about 12 miles from the original Montgomery Wards store that started it all. Back in the day, they offered a 5Hp Walkbehind tractor. It was made by Simplicy.

It could be used as a walkbehind or as a riding tractor with the seat too!

View attachment 71235

A Yanmar diesel 2 wheel tractor would do the job nicely.

Yanmar has a wide range of tillers from power tillers used by professional farmers to walk-behind tillers that are used by hobby farmers.
Tillers|Agriculture|YANMAR
View attachment 71236

View attachment 71237

The Yanmars are made in Japan and India. And Yanmar offers PTO drive and belt drive too.

The Yanmar isn't a wimpy machine by any means. This video really shows how well it can perform in a harsh Ag environment.

AND, IF a person is a handy-man and clever, the 2-wheel can be modified to a 4-wheel by doing this. Amazing the power these Yanmar, Kubota and Mitsubishi machines can be. And we wonder how 2nd and 3rd world Ag gets food to our tables here in the USA and the EU. It's these small machines with great power! These seem to be better than an SCUT machine.

Here is the MODERN EU machines.

Another 2WD to 4WD conversion. AND this one can be switched back to 2WD use easily.

Bucher KT10 Quattro
Yes the yanmar looks identical to the Chinese single piston Diesel engine, probably they had cooperated. Do they sell the 2wheeled yanmar in USA I don’t plan to garden more then 1200 square meters so that one looks perfect.

thanks a lot for the help😊

PS: East European ag was done with mostly DT75 tractors and they are still used in some places.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the yanmar looks identical to the Chinese single piston Diesel engine, probably they had cooperated. Do they sell the 2wheeled yanmar in USA I don’t plan to garden more then 1200 square meters so that one looks perfect.

PS: East European ag was done with mostly DT75 tractors and they are still used in some places.
But then again the 2wheeled tractor is perfect for big garden and personal use.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Poking around, it seems BCS uses the Yanmar diesel engines.
Vermont BCS Professional 853D 10hp Yanmar Diesel Roto Tiller

Should you have a riding mower already, then one of these would be cost wise to consider.
TILLER - Tow Behind ATV & Garden Tractor - 11" Dia Tines - 5 Hp - 36" Till Width | eBay

Not sure where you are located, but really look at this one for $750 and all the attachments!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Largest Walk-Behind Tractors in the USA ...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I am in north east PA so it’s far. I will see if I can buy the Chinese single diesel walk behind tractor and see if I can rig a PTO on it.
Cool. You live near Joe here on the forums. He's in the Poconos.

For the price of a 2-wheel walk-behind tractor, an SCUT CAT-0 or CAT-1 may be a cost advantage and down the road, better resell.

Now, with the craze of the 90s and into the early 2000s, there were these walk-behind modern mowers. Wasn't sure if these COULD be modified into walk-behind tractors. The Cub Cadet models look very attractive to do this. Likewise with some Toros too. The mover deck can be removed and something placed below to be belt driven.

On the web, the BEST walk-behind tractor forum is a sister site of ours here by Carbon Media check it out!

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
I am in north east PA so it’s far. I will see if I can buy the Chinese single diesel walk behind tractor and see if I can rig a PTO on it.
Hi neighbor! I'm in the Poconos, west of Stroudsburg. I've been following this thread and it seems you are very interested in getting a diesel machine, instead of gas and that is fine. I own an old gasoline engine Troy-Bilt tiller and I tend to favor them for the kind of work you have described. The "Horse" tiller in the 1980's and the early 1990's was set up as a PTO machine with the tiller section made to be removed and other attachments installed, like a wood chipper, electrical generator, and as log splitter. I bought mine just before these came out. You seem confident in being able to get parts for a Chinese machine, and as I have zero experience with them, I can't really advise either way. I have seen at a distance, some Chinese tillers being used during my travels in the Philippines. Those machines are replacing the water buffalo's pulling a single plow thru the rice fields. BMaverick has a good point in that some of these 2 wheel tractors can cost as much as a 4 wheel machine that might be more versatile and have higher resale value down the road. Is there a specific reason you want to go with 2 wheels vs. a 4 wheel machine? I ask this because I am of an age where my being able to sit allows me to work much longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I see the point. The only issue is the money. I cannot afford a lot of money for repairs “the usual struggle” so I thought a new 2 wheeler will go a few year without repairs compared to an old 4 wheel tractor. I can perform most repairs myself but the part/availability cost are there still.

What can I realistically get with 3 thousand top for tractor and tiller?

I bought a riding lawnmower before thinking about the tractor, as that it was all I knew at that time.

Now that I am adjusting my priorities it looks like a mistake I did.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Your Cub Cadet is a nice mower, but it won't tolerate pulling a plow, or tiller or any other ground engaging attachments. I rough "rule of thumb" is to look at the rear wheels. If they are held on with 4 or 5 (or more) bolts, then you are looking at a garden tractor designed to plow and till. You will see that your tractor's rear wheels are held in place with a single clip on a keyed shaft. Here is a link to Troy Bilt's top of the line tiller, a modern version of my 1979 machine: Big Red Garden Tiller - 21AE682W766 | Troy-Bilt US

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see, 😅well I had to try and ask. So what remains to do is to work it the old style with hand tools as much as I can. And save money for next year, so I can buy a small 4 wheel tractor, and not waste money and use it for different tasks.

Tim

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Tim,

My neighbor has that same machine. He too wanted a tractor. He did get a Ford 1500 on the cheap.

His plan was to pull an ATV tiller behind his CC-XT1.

or like this one behind a lawn tractor like yours!

(same thing as a Sears ... https://www.sears.com/craftsman-universal-rear-tiller/p-07125244000P )

AND after you get the rear pull-along tiller, you need to upgrade to the XT1 front loader. :love:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts