Tractor Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I agree with you both. I think there is a place for electric vehicles, in cities perhaps to mitigate the smog issues. No harm in having small electric commuter cars, or local delivery vehicles running on batteries, but as mentioned, what are we going to do with all them dead batteries! What ever happened to hydrogen fuel cell technology? Is that dead in the water? Pun intended!
GM was so gun-ho on fuel cell technology and had 20 years (1998) of advanced work done, produced a few prototype vehicles that worked really well. Why did it literally become dead in the water ??? When water FROZE. They couldn't solve that issue because the fuel cell need pure water and no additives. The heat to keep the pure water from freezing would take up too much energy to even get the vehicles to move. Thus the fuel cell and all it's efforts died out there in Honeoye Falls, NY GM Fuel Tech Center.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Water Sky

GM Shuts Down Fuel Cell Facility, In Favor of Hydrogen Research - autoevolution

In the cold climates it seems that combustion engines win out. Yes, the engines do not need gas nor diesel.

CNG we discussed is one option.

How about just plain old AIR ?

Tata Motors acquired the rights to begin production of the AIR power vehicles. Here's the minivan verssion.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Compact car version for the UK's tight streets, still bigger than a Smart Car for 2. It's called the Tata Nano. I think this has been in production for 4 years now.
Compressed air, no emissions. Uses the same tanks as CNG, but a different type of engine. Dang fast too because the designer was a Formula-1 engine engineer.
His first prototype was an F1 air powered engine ! Engines already get a boost from air powered turbos.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

And recently the Tata Flash is 100% air powered too.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Why don't we hear about this tech in the USA ? Big oil has no interest in it. And Big oil is tied to the mining industry to get Lithium out of the ground too.

Compressed air can be done by electric, but not needed. Solar and seam powered compressors at filling locations work all day filling huge storage tanks. So fill ups are darn right fast like putting gas in a car.

And these vehicles do have Air conditioning that is - - - AIR POWERED AC compressors !

·
Registered
804 Posts
"farmers, ranchers and loggers are the original and real environmentalists through out history"

That's absolutely correct and those are the exact same people where EV use is totally impractical at the moment. Until you can get a combine through a 500 acre plot on one charge, or run a log skidder in the woods for 12 hours a day, it's pretty much just fantasy for them.

Don't forget that they will also need a semi tractor that can go 12 hours on a single charge at 80,000 pounds GVW and recharge 100% in less then 10 hours.......Fat chance of that right now....

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Oh yeah, the engine. LOL

It's about the size of a 5-gallon bucket too! That thick belt is very deceiving making you think that engine is massive, it isn't at all.

Tire Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Wheel Photograph

·
Administrator
10,353 Posts
Wow.....I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off.......By the way, Bob.......Huge let down to me from the title of your post to the actual content.......LOL.........
Ya, it seems just like a regular post!
In regards to corn squeezins', it's not a fuel I want to use in my small engines or my older vehicles / tractors. I have been using premium / no ethanol fuel and it ain't cheap.
I've read a little bit about this ethanol fuel business and I mean a "little". Seems the only up side of it is it's environment impact vs plain old gasoline. I was reading my owners manual for my truck the other day looking up some info, and found a paragraph that says to run a tank of higher octane fuel through the truck at least every oil change. Also read an article about North American Auto Makers are trying to figure out how to void warranties if vehicle owners use the new E15 blend!
I use ethanol in both of my "daily drivers" and if it helps the environment and it's easier on wallet at fill up time, I'm all in. I'm also interested in newer, more efficient technology and wish auto makers would switch some of their "self driving" budget over to cleaner power.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Wow.....I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off.......By the way, Bob.......Huge let down to me from the title of your post to the actual content.......LOL.........
"I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off"

That was an almost daily worry during the winters I lived in Colorado. The extreme PTSD from that is exactly why I live in MS today. ;)

BTW -- The first time I ever heard the term Corn Squeezins' as a kid..... It was a Kentuckian coon huntin' friend of my Dad's that ran a 50 gallon pot still, in a cave with a natural spring running through it, in Owen County, INDIANA:cool:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts