Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I agree with you both. I think there is a place for electric vehicles, in cities perhaps to mitigate the smog issues. No harm in having small electric commuter cars, or local delivery vehicles running on batteries, but as mentioned, what are we going to do with all them dead batteries! What ever happened to hydrogen fuel cell technology? Is that dead in the water? Pun intended!
GM was so gun-ho on fuel cell technology and had 20 years (1998) of advanced work done, produced a few prototype vehicles that worked really well. Why did it literally become dead in the water ??? When water FROZE. They couldn't solve that issue because the fuel cell need pure water and no additives. The heat to keep the pure water from freezing would take up too much energy to even get the vehicles to move. Thus the fuel cell and all it's efforts died out there in Honeoye Falls, NY GM Fuel Tech Center.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Water Sky

GM Shuts Down Fuel Cell Facility, In Favor of Hydrogen Research - autoevolution

In the cold climates it seems that combustion engines win out. Yes, the engines do not need gas nor diesel.

CNG we discussed is one option.

How about just plain old AIR ?

Tata Motors acquired the rights to begin production of the AIR power vehicles. Here's the minivan verssion.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Compact car version for the UK's tight streets, still bigger than a Smart Car for 2. It's called the Tata Nano. I think this has been in production for 4 years now.
Compressed air, no emissions. Uses the same tanks as CNG, but a different type of engine. Dang fast too because the designer was a Formula-1 engine engineer.
His first prototype was an F1 air powered engine ! Engines already get a boost from air powered turbos.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

And recently the Tata Flash is 100% air powered too.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Why don't we hear about this tech in the USA ? Big oil has no interest in it. And Big oil is tied to the mining industry to get Lithium out of the ground too.

Compressed air can be done by electric, but not needed. Solar and seam powered compressors at filling locations work all day filling huge storage tanks. So fill ups are darn right fast like putting gas in a car.

And these vehicles do have Air conditioning that is - - - AIR POWERED AC compressors !

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"farmers, ranchers and loggers are the original and real environmentalists through out history"

That's absolutely correct and those are the exact same people where EV use is totally impractical at the moment. Until you can get a combine through a 500 acre plot on one charge, or run a log skidder in the woods for 12 hours a day, it's pretty much just fantasy for them.

Don't forget that they will also need a semi tractor that can go 12 hours on a single charge at 80,000 pounds GVW and recharge 100% in less then 10 hours.......Fat chance of that right now....

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Oh yeah, the engine. LOL

It's about the size of a 5-gallon bucket too! That thick belt is very deceiving making you think that engine is massive, it isn't at all.

Tire Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Wheel Photograph

·
Administrator
11,399 Posts
Wow.....I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off.......By the way, Bob.......Huge let down to me from the title of your post to the actual content.......LOL.........
Ya, it seems just like a regular post!
In regards to corn squeezins', it's not a fuel I want to use in my small engines or my older vehicles / tractors. I have been using premium / no ethanol fuel and it ain't cheap.
I've read a little bit about this ethanol fuel business and I mean a "little". Seems the only up side of it is it's environment impact vs plain old gasoline. I was reading my owners manual for my truck the other day looking up some info, and found a paragraph that says to run a tank of higher octane fuel through the truck at least every oil change. Also read an article about North American Auto Makers are trying to figure out how to void warranties if vehicle owners use the new E15 blend!
I use ethanol in both of my "daily drivers" and if it helps the environment and it's easier on wallet at fill up time, I'm all in. I'm also interested in newer, more efficient technology and wish auto makers would switch some of their "self driving" budget over to cleaner power.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Wow.....I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off.......By the way, Bob.......Huge let down to me from the title of your post to the actual content.......LOL.........
"I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off"

That was an almost daily worry during the winters I lived in Colorado. The extreme PTSD from that is exactly why I live in MS today. ;)

BTW -- The first time I ever heard the term Corn Squeezins' as a kid..... It was a Kentuckian **** huntin' friend of my Dad's that ran a 50 gallon pot still, in a cave with a natural spring running through it, in Owen County, INDIANA:cool:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"I have never seen it so cold that my knob fell off"

That was an almost daily worry during the winters I lived in Colorado. The extreme PTSD from that is exactly why I live in MS today. ;)

BTW -- The first time I ever heard the term Corn Squeezins' as a kid..... It was a Kentuckian **** huntin' friend of my Dad's that ran a 50 gallon pot still, in a cave with a natural spring running through it, in Owen County, INDIANA:cool:

Hmmmmmmmmmm...................Not going to say for sure but the family might still be doing something like that or they have moved on to just cooking meth in that same cave......LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
"Whiskey Gas" is what we call it around here.
I don't put it in any vehicle such as my 53 Studebaker that I don't drive daily as it will kill the carb over time. Several years ago I took a high priced racing carb apart that had been setting for 7 months and it looked like someone had packed cocaine in it. Very nasty white powder. Had to rebuild the carb.
As far as electric, I have a friend and daughter in law that have a 2008 Toyota Prius's and love them. Both have over 200,000 miles and one has had the batteries changed recently. The hybrids make sense if you live in the country.
The Differences Between Ethanol and Gasoline
1-A gallon of gasoline provides one-third more energy than a gallon of ethanol.
  1. Blending ethanol and gasoline at a ratio of 85 percent to 15 percent (E85), the blended fuel is nearly thirty percent less powerful than pure gasoline. Ethanol is similar in acceleration, power, and cruising ability, but ethanol miles per gallon are less than pure gasoline.
  1. Ethanol causes damage to fuel systems and engines that pure gasoline does not. The most critical problems are water contamination and fuel separation. Ethanol attracts and absorbs water, including water from the air. When the gasohol absorbs enough water, fuel water contamination occurs in the car’s gas tank and that affects engine performance. If the car sits for a while, fuel separation occurs; this is where the gas and water form layers in the gas tank and if the motor sucks up the water layer into the engine, serious costly, damage happens.
  1. Ethanol is alcohol, and alcohol causes corrosion in the fuel system. Metal parts rust and plastic parts become deformed or cracked.
  1. Ethanol is not an ideal fuel additive, and older cars especially have problems with ethanol fuel.
If ethanol is less efficient than gasoline and can even damage cars, why is it being blended and sold?
First, gasoline blended with ethanol burns cleaner than pure gasoline. Ethanol cuts a car’s greenhouse gas emissions. The additional of ethanol to gasoline makes it an “oxygenate” which satisfies the requirements of the Federal legislation known as the Clean Air Act.
The second reason is
that ethanol comes from corn, and it is big business. Agribusiness is a powerful lobby in Washington and with environmentalists siding with them on this issue; the use of ethanol will spread. Recently, the Environmental Protection Agency allowed E15 to join E10 at the fuel pump.
While E10 is widely available, E15 gasoline is only sold in a handful of states and then in just a few filling stations. E15 is sold in Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska.
When the Environmental Protection Agency approved E15, it restricted its use and excluded the following from running on it.
  • Heavy-duty vehicles
  • Boats
  • Lawn mowers
  • Off-road vehicles
  • Motorcycles
  • Power equipment

·
Registered
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910, Ford 555A, JD2210
545 Posts
Electric vehicle technology is getting better, but I don't think we are in a position to make the complete transition anytime soon, and I don't believe our respective governments believe that either. But I do believe that we need to do something besides putting corn oil in our gas tanks! By the way, from my understanding, E15 actually has a higher octane rating than E10.
I agree.

I understand we gotta start somewhere. I am not in favor of tax subsidies to kickstart these programs. That causes the inventors and production teams to go where the tax money is rather than go where the practicality is.

Reactions: pogobill

·
Registered
545 Posts
I do believe we are heading into a pretty tough place and I do think that the people that we elect to office need to listen, need to understand the facts and make informed decisions for what is best for the people. Hopefully they listen to the people!

It's really hard for our elected officials to hear us with the loud roar of money falling on them from the lobbyists.

Reactions: pogobill

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Seems it's the same everywhere, ovrszd.
You're worried about Lobbyist?? I heard your guy just starts seizing bank accounts when he don't want to listen to what you're telling him. Makes me start thinking either a shoe box full of $100's, or going crypto, before our guy gets the same idea. I've have a somewhat negative view of his policies and could be on a list of "dangerous insurrectionist" right now for some of my recent social media post ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
You're worried about Lobbyist?? I heard your guy just starts seizing bank accounts when he don't want to listen to what you're telling him. Makes me start thinking either a shoe box full of $100's, or going crypto, before our guy gets the same idea. I've have a somewhat negative view of his policies and could be on a list of "dangerous insurrectionist" right now for some of my recent social media post ;)
Wait til you see what our guy does to the Truck Convoys next week.......

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Ex BIL, although I still claim him as BIL, is vaccinated and boosted. Him and his wife have both had Covid twice. Just got thru the second round. My wife and I are not vaccinated. We've neither had it.

Current statistics prove that being vaccinated does not reduce your chance of spreading Covid. It only reduces the severity of your infection.

If I'm having a discussion with a friend about vaccines and he says he hasn't had a Flu shot I am not alarmed in any manner. Five minutes later I won't even remember whether he is or not vaccinated for Flu. But if he talks about Covid vaccination I am all ears. Why is that? Are we truly that "Sheep" like? Yep. :(

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Current stats from the UK show vaxxed are 3x more likely to die than unvaxxed.
The information Pfizer wanted to bury for 75 years shows more than 1900 different types of adverse reaction.

Data from Japan and India show that what REALLY helps limit the spread and symptoms is a zinc ionophore.
zinc kills covid, cancers, and all kinds of bad stuff. It just needs a little help getting into your cells.
As Friday said on Dragent, Just facts, just the facts. Seems you have found the real ones. :)

·
Administrator
11,399 Posts
Lets move on. As the admin, I should remove my comments. I will however disregard the foolish comments and statics and if I do decide to plant, spray and harvest my children, I will take your advice under consideration.
PS
keep reading your propaganda news letters.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Lets move on. As the admin, I should remove my comments. I will however disregard the foolish comments and statics and if I do decide to plant, spray and harvest my children, I will take your advice under consideration.
PS
keep reading your propaganda news letters.
Dang it Bill..... Even when I'm trying to be good with just a thought provoking post, it somehow turns into "turdnado".... Once again, I'll do better I promise ;)

·
Administrator
11,399 Posts
Shows how a little bit of politics can go awry very quickly on even the most friendly and helpful tractor forum on the world wide web.
That's why the "Political" thread was removed from this site many years ago. Tempers flared and many a good member left the site. It was too bad it had to go that way. Not what we are here for.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts