Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a sickle bar mower on ebay last week. When I called to make arrangements to pick it up, the guy offered me the tractor it came from also as it still had some brackets on it. $106 for a complete working sickle bar, and $75 for the non-running 1050. The tractor is complete and the engine is free. He said he never tried to start it. I have an extra engine anyway so if it doesn't start too easily or if it knocks/smokes, I'll swap it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to get a good shot of the sickle bar w/o taking it off the trailer. Might get it off over the weekend and lay it out. I also got a box of 10 NOS blades from him for another $5 and a copy of the manual and parts list.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well it looks like you came out on that deal nice going:thumbsup:
Jody

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SJ
The sickle bar looks like a hedge trimmer only it's 4 feet long and can be used vertically for trimming hedges, horizontilly for brush,or angled downward for cutting on slopes.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Very nice find. I would love to find one for my lil tractor.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
sixchows...

How many tractors does this make 3, 4, ....???
As a fellow tractorholic I can only say
Some guys have all the fun !!! :partydanc

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...yeah I'm up to four, but only 2 running. I need to take a closer look at the one from yesterday. I think it might be easier and faster to get this one going than the other(68) 1050. So now I have a nice 67 1050, a very rough 68 1050 but it has possibilities, a somewhat neglected 69 1050. They were only made from 66-69 sooooo..............66 next?

I had the 68 for parts but, the more I looked at the more I wanted to fix it. And luckily, my 67 doesn't need much. So the 68 was going to a summer project for me and my son. Even though the 69 looks like an easier job, he still wants to do the 68. So maybe I'll leave this one looking as is and just get it functional while we do the 68.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Wow, looks nice. Got a good deal there. Hey, you can never have to many tractors.:D :D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Argee
Yeah as long as the $75 tractor doesn't turn into a nigtmare!:D
Good to see you back! Hope all is going well!

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I really like the oic of the one bolens pulling the other Bolens, it's like a Dad carrying his son home when the boy is too tired to walk. I think you got one heck of a good deal! And by the way, nice job on the 1050 restoration, it looks brand new!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
I really like the oic of the one bolens pulling the other Bolens, it's like a Dad carrying his son home when the boy is too tired to walk. I think you got one heck of a good deal! And by the way, nice job on the 1050 restoration, it looks brand new!
what about a guy pushing a john deere

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joe
The 67 1050 isn't restored! The only thing done was the beige on the hood and fender, the rest is all original including the decals.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tried to start it today. Poured some oil into the cylinder and tuned it by hand a few times to loosen it up and get some compression. Used my battery charger after that to get it spinning, but no spark. Went over the wiring and found some strange connections. Rewired those back to the original diagram and got a nice spark. The fuel line is missing, so I poured some gas down the carb and tried to start it. The choke and throttle cables are stuck, but it coughed and ran for a few seconds. Tried to start it again and my charger started smoking. Looks like the rectifier inside the battery charger went. So I guess I'll put a battery and fuel line in over the weekend and see if/how it runs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts