Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since I had a legitimate question yesterday prior to the birth of this forum, I figured I make it official. FYI for all you IE’ers, I’ve attached a screen shot of what I’m talking about so you can understand the question. The "tab” feature is one of Netscape’s best kept secrets, IMHO. I found it by accident earlier this year when I hit Ctrl+T by mistake… and that’s from a guy that’s been a loyal Netscape user since the mid 90’s … :duh:

And I quote:
Here's a Netscape question that's been bugging me for quite some time.
Can you set up multiple home pages using the tab feature? In other words, when I start Netscape, is there any way for say - three tabs with three home pages to open up simultaneously?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Okay, think I found it and it appears that it is shareware bolt on for IE...

http://www.autag.com/abolimba.php

There is a download link on the site. The "Tabs" appear at the bottom of the browser.

Ouch... $20.00

There are a few browsers out there that appear to have this capability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m sorry – I guess I’m a bit unclear here. My screen shot is an example of what I want to happen @ startup. What I presented was done manually…

·
Registered
336 Posts
Jay_NJ ----

Can you explain why you'd want multiple home pages to come up at the same time???

I'm assuming you can only have one be the start page, but wonder why you'd need 3 pages starting at once. This is not criticism... just a need for Clarification of EXACTLY what you're asking...

My system starts with the Netscape Home Page, then I click a bookmark to go into TractorForum, Simpletractors, Victoriassecret, etc

Please clarify what you need to do...

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Guess I have a research assignment... I'll be back.

Pro's: You can flip between tabs without having to wait for a site to load AND it will leave you where you left it

Con's: Longer startup time since it is not opening ONE website, it is now opening.... THREE. If you just wanted to jump in the browser to do a quick weather or google search, you will be slowed down.

Let me check.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
So if the question is how do I do it in Netscape 7.1... read on.

Launch Netscape (I did 7.1)
Create all the "Tabs" that you want.
- right click in tab area, choose "New Tab"
- Type in address
- repeat until all Tabs are present
Right-click again in Tab area and choose "Bookmark this group of Tabs". You can name it something like "My Home Page"

Then go to Edit, Preferences
Highlight Navigator, on the left and on the right in the middle settings for "Home Page", press the "Use Current Group".

I also recommend that you select "Tabbed Browsing" under Navagator on the left and then check "Load Links in background" to make startup and "use" time perform better.

You should be able to close the browser, re-open it and then it will re-open with all of those pre-defined tabs. You will also have a bookmark for that set of tabs too.

Is this what you wanted to do? :dazed:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Okay... been playing with Netscape in the multi-tab mode and gotta admit, it is kind'a neat. Don't think I will switch EXCLUSIVELY though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost Home...

“…Highlight Navigator, on the left and on the right in the middle settings for "Home Page", press the "Use Current Group".”

Shoot! This option is not there! I’m running 7.0 not 7.1. There are subtle differences in what you are telling me to do and how I need to do it. For example:

“Right-click again in Tab area and choose "Bookmark this group of Tabs".
You can name it something like "My Home Page"”

There was not an option to bookmark the group when right clicking on the tab area, but it is an option under Bookmarks. It worked – very, very cool!

I’ll mess with this tonight or tomorrow. I think you’ve got it – I just can’t get there from here… I’m counting on an upgrade to 7.1 to correct matters.

I’ll let you know how I make out.

Your good tisenberg – real good.

And to answer Tractorguy – why? My morning routine, (outside of a good pee and cup of coffee) is to check three or four sites – one after the other. I just figured it would be nice if they could all pop up on their own at startup… As tisenberg found out, the Netscape tab feature is quite handy – just trying to get the most out of my software…

Jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EUREKA!

That was the problem – version 7.0 didn’t support home page groups! And a bonus too – for whatever reason, I was never able to view the posts in the Small Engine Forum – works now! And just think of it, if it wasn’t for this forum and tisenberg, I’d still be wandering aimlessly unaware of the spoils that awaited me. I’m happier than a pig in shit right now :D – hey, can I wear here? :devil: Sorry guys.:eek:

My hat is off to you and thanks so much for the help – ya’ done good!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jay

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Good going

Glad you found what you was looking for:clap: :clap: :clap: :winky:
Jody:usa:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts