Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently bought a piece of property that in previous years was used for a nursery/greenhouse business, and we plan to resurrect the business. We own a new Craftsman 5000 garden tractor that we've used thus far for mowing and hauling -- and it's been great for that. However, we have about 4 acres of field that needs to be brush hogged. I've found a 44" brush hog that can be attached to the back of the Craftsman for $1500 delivered, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying an old tractor with PTO and get a brush hog for that. That would give us the flexibility to get other attachments down the road (plow for the field, bucket or backhoe to move earth, etc.) without spending a fortune right now. Our budget is in the $3000 range.

Can anyone offer me advice on this? I saw an ad in the local paper for a 1965 Ford 8N in excellent condition for $2500. I've read that the 8N's are pretty easy to take care of, but I'm not sure if it will be able to handle all the tools we'll need down the road. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
HI Trevell, and wecome to TF.com!!:friends: The bush cutter for your craftsman would, I'm sure, be a nice attachment, but I expect you would have greater satifaction with a farm tractor. More HP, more torque, just all-around more.
To me, an 8N is a nice little tractor, but not really up to some of the attachments you spoke about, in particular the loader and/or backhoe. (I'm sure some will disagree) :D You may want to look for some thing more like a 3000 Ford, 35MF, or my pick (I'm partial to IH), a 444 (or similar) IH tractor. Keep an eye in your local classifieds, and visit some local tractor dealers (if you have any).
Again, welcome, and feel free to ask any questions yopu may have, and observances about any model tractor you may be looking at. There is a wealth of experience here, and friendly folks to-boot!!;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Parts Man, I appreciate the welcome and the info. Do you think I'll be able to find any of those tractors you mention in our price range of around $3000? I suppose we could go a bit higher if necessary. Also, I just noticed another ad in our paper for a MF 65 dieselmatic w/loader for $3500 in good condition. Any thoughts on that?

Best,
Tom

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
trevelle, let me add my welcome to Tractor Forum as well.
:friends: :cheers: In addition to the machines Parts mentioned, if you want to keep the size of the machine down to a compact tractor range; I would suggest looking at some of the older Kubota L series compact tractors. I used to own a Kubota L245 that would be a great match for what you are looking for. 27 hp and they can accomdate an L1200 loader and a rear finish mower or the size brush hog you mentioned. These tractors are in this price range and are very reliable and sturdy machines.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The MF 65 would be a very good tractor, they have a Perkins diesel, and parts are readily availlable. The Kubota compacts that Chief mentioned are also a nice reliable machine. You would have the best idea of what you plan to use the tractor for, so search with your intended use in mind.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts