Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys thing of the Argus DC3810 Digital Camera 5.0 Megapixel, 32MB Compact Flash, 3X optical, 2X Digital, 1.8inch LCD, New White Box, 1 Year Limited Warranty, No Returns for $129 plus tax and shipping :question: I have read several reviews and they basicly say that it is slow and limited in apurature but basicly takes a good picture. I don't need anything fancy.........just cheap and easy like me:D ;)

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, and advice ASAP as I have to pull the trigger on this quick if I want it. Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Why do you feel you need a 5 megapixal camera Chief? That is overkill as any 3 megapixal camera will make a good 8x10 picture. There are some name brand 3 megapixel cameras out there for that price. Just make sure your camera has an optical zoom as that is much better than the digital zoom. Some cheaper models have only a digital zoom. I myself would pass on that camera and get a good quality name brand 3 megapixal for the same price. Just my opinion though. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal, Chief. Argus is an old brand, but I don't know much about them in today's realm. I'll echo Durwood in that you can get a 3 megapixal camera for the about the same price. The best thing to do would go to a Wallyworld , an electronics outlet, or a camera store and actually handle the various brands that they sell. And as Durwood said, be sure to get an optical zoom. At least 2X, IMO.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Chief, I am with Durwood. If you are looking for an inexpensive camera step down a little on the megapixel and get a name brand. It's not just the pixel count that decides the picture quality. The lens and the software play just as big a part.

Wolf Camera has a very good deal on the Nikon Coolpix 2200 . I believe this is last years model but it is a Nikon and the Coolpix have a very good reputation.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I have a Sony DCS75 myself and am very happy with it. I reseached digital cameras for 6 months prior to purchasing...Compared this one against the Nikon, Canon and Olympus...It all boiled down to which one fit my hand the best...the Sony won out.:)

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
I have a Sony DCS75 myself and am very happy with it. I reseached digital cameras for 6 months prior to purchasing...Compared this one against the Nikon, Canon and Olympus...It all boiled down to which one fit my hand the best...the Sony won out.:)
I have the Sony DCS85 and although it is a discontinued model.But Sony is all I will consider in the future.I like the memory stick and the Carl Ziess lens.Watch the models that use regular AA batteries that will break you in batteries alone.Get the model that takes the battery pack.Works just like a camcorder battery and last for hours not minutes.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
:ditto: What Argee said. It's a great camera and I'm glad I got it. I had a Kodak 210 befiore and it worked good, but would eat batteries for lunch. Then one day I plugged in the AC adaptor with the batteries still inside and smoked something in the camera. Too bad...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by johndeere
I have the Sony DCS85 and although it is a discontinued model.But Sony is all I will consider in the future.I like the memory stick and the Carl Ziess lens.Watch the models that use regular AA batteries that will break you in batteries alone.Get the model that takes the battery pack.Works just like a camcorder battery and last for hours not minutes.
I comepletely disagree with the battery pack. Stay away from it. Get one that you use rechargable batteries. They are cheap and can be recharged hundreds of times. The battery pack is way to expensive for what you get. And it won't stay charged any longer than good rechargable batteries.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Durwood,

How many/which camera manufacturers these days use regualr recargable batters instead of a pack? Serious Q..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Greg, I agree with Durwood about the battery packs. Usually they're proprietary in nature & very expensive to replace. One of the factors I considered when buying our Canon was that it used AA batteries.

I bought 2 sets (4 AA) of quick-charge NiMH batteries (they came with chargers too) at Sam's for $10 each set. I always have a spare set charged & ready in the camera bag. The quick charger recharges them in about an hour.

Angel

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Angel,

Is it an option to use AA's in Canons, as well as the pack, or just on the model you got. BTW, which model is yours?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
My HP uses AA batteries. I use rechargeable in it. The rechargeable have a shorter run time though than Alkaline or Lithium AA's. 20 pictures is about it for a pair. I have a separate AC/DC charger for them. Along with the four rechargeable I carry a four pack of Lithiums when away from the charger as back up.

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
Durwood,

How many/which camera manufacturers these days use regualr recargable batters instead of a pack? Serious Q..
A lot of the manufacturers are getting away from the battery packs lately. They were popular a few years ago. Go online and check out a lot of the models and you should be able to find one that fits your needs that take rechargables. Three things that would be a must for me in a new camera are.

1- rechargable batteries
2-An optical zoom ( preferably a 3x)
3-At least a 3 megapixal

And i think staying with a name brand would be a smart choice.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by memmurphy
My HP uses AA batteries. I use rechargeable in it. The rechargeable have a shorter run time though than Alkaline or Lithium AA's. 20 pictures is about it for a pair. I have a separate AC/DC charger for them. Along with the four rechargeable I carry a four pack of Lithiums when away from the charger as back up.

Mark
You are mistaken, the rechargables last up to four times long than alkalines. Make sure they are at least 1800. 2200 would be better if you can find them. I know Wal-Mart had a four pack of 1800s with a car charger and house charger for less than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't think battery packs were an option, at least on the PowerShot models I've seen. We have an A20 & the in-laws have the A40. (They always like to one-up us when they can. LOL! After I bought the 2148, my father-in-law went and bought the 2548 I really wanted, but couldn't afford.)
Anyway... neither camera appears to be physically capable of taking battery packs.

Originally posted by Greg
Angel,

Is it an option to use AA's in Canons, as well as the pack, or just on the model you got. BTW, which model is yours?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Durwood just how long do your batteries last when leaving the camera and LCD on?I have heard 20 minutes on some?Can you charge the batteries in the camera by plugging it in.Or do you have to buy a seperate charger?If so by the time you buy the batteries and the charger you just bought a spare battery pack.It comes with one and there is no reason to own more then two battery packs that I can see.You can also recharge the battery packs thousands of times and they do not develop a memory problem if charged early.You can use a seperate charger or charge then right in the camera.I guess it is a personal preferance.But I used my nephews Sony that takes AA batteries and if you did not turn the camera off after every picture it would need new batteries in less then one hour.Seemed sort of silly to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an Olympus that uses 4 AA batteries. That was one of my requirements when I was looking for cameras. The battery packs are expensive and there is no guarantee that the battery pack will be made a couple of years from now when one wears out.

I keep two sets of rechargeables with my camera. I can get well over 100 shots from a charge. I seldom use the led screen on my camera, which causes the batteries to run down quicker.

I bought my batteries and charger from http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm. I bought 20 AA batteries. Eight are for my camera and the rest go in the kids toys, which eat up batteries very quickly.

I bought the Lenmar NoMEM PRO 2000s. These have a much longer lifespan than alkaline batteries.

Steve's Digicams has a ton of information and tests about rechargeable batteries as well as camera info and tests. His sight convinced me that rechargeables are the way to go.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

·
Registered
664 Posts
Durwood just how long do your batteries last when leaving the camera and LCD on?I have heard 20 minutes on some?
Good point jd! The LCD would suck the life out of my batteries (either kind) if I just left it on all the time. I prefer using the viewfinder over the LCD anyway.

If so by the time you buy the batteries and the charger you just bought a spare battery pack.
These days you can get a "starter pack", or whatever the current marketing term is, that comes with 4AAs & charger for well under $20. I bought mine a Sam's Club for $10. They're Duracell NiMHs they're rated at 2050. One nice thing is that the charger will quick charge the older NiCads I have in the kid's toys.

Angel

1 - 20 of 71 Posts