1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with 656 Hydraulic Problems

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by GlennT, Sep 27, 2010.

1. GlennT

GlennT New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Hello,

I have a 656 gear drive that has lost hydraulic power to the power steering, loader and 3 pt. I guess there is a small amount of pressure as the 3 pt. will slowly lift the mower about a foot after several minutes.

I've inspected the check valve screen and filter and they looked OK. What can I do to check the pump? What else could be wrong? What else can I check?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

2. BERMUDA KEN

BERMUDA KEN New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Two simple checks for you.

1...is the unit low/out of Hytran oil?.......fill to proper level if low.

2....does the PTO work?

If the PTO does not work, you may have stripped out the splines on the PTO drive gear and or pressure plate hub. This powers the hydraulic pump. You have to split the tractor to fix that.

If you need parts to fix this, ring me toll free at 1-866-327-6255 (8-5 cst) M-F. I should have most of them on hand.

3. GlennT

GlennT New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions Ken.

The Hytran level is good and PTO works.

Glenn

4. GlennT

GlennT New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I may have found something. Last night I took the pump out removed it from the flange. The two o-rings between the pump and the flange were gone. That could explain why there is no pressure on either main and hitch systems.

5. GlennT

GlennT New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    New o-rings didn't help. The problem was resolved with a new pump.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Glenn

6. tractor beam

tractor beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Priest River, Idaho
    Glad to hear you got it going again. Don't be a stranger!