Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 31cc MDT Yard Machines front tine tiller. The flexible drive shaft snapped off. I can buy a replacement but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. Do I need to open the gear box? If so, how does the tine bar release?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hello Kristy, welcome to the tractor forum.

I have a Troy Bilt tiller, so I'm not going to be much help. Please post a model number for your tiller, and I'll try to find parts diagrams for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there BigT, I appreciate you helping me out. Here us the model number of my cultivator 21A-121R900.
Have a great day!

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done everything you've said, the problem I'm having is that I don't know how the bottom of the shaft is engaged with the gear box.
During use, the shaft broke off about an inch before it terminates into the gear box. I hoped to be able to simply pull it out as it engages this way into the clutch assembly. This is not the case.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Hi Kristy the end in the gearbox should have a square drive like the clutch end in the flexible shaft, if you have a pair of lock jaw pliers, lock this onto the broken end tightly and tap the plier jaws away from the gearbox with a small hammer, hopefully this will ease the broken piece out for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts