Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I have been talking to a guy about what I thought was a 8N tractor. He sent me the serial number and it turned out that it is a 2N 1945. I am not famialar with a 2N. Is that as good a tractor as a 8N? Will the 2N do everything that the 8N do? Is a 2N easy to find parts for? Is that a desirable tractor? First antique tractor I have every purchased. Don't want to buy the wrong thing or something that I can't find parts for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Serial # 9N180816

Thanks,

Tau
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
as good as an 8N? depends on what you are planing to use it for. For normal use, a 8N will be more usefull. The posision control on the 3PH is realy handy. The 2N will only have draft.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Yep get an 8n --- position control, 4 speeds instead of 3 ---
bunch of nice available parts for 8Ns ...... If possible, grab one of those 8Ns...preferably a later model 1951-1952 one due to improved steering, linkages, throttle, carb, and side mount distributor (much easier to work on that front mount distro)

My 2 cents

Andy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2N Help

I am new to this? What do you mean by position control on a 3 point hitch and a draft on the 2N?

I was just planning on restoring it for fun and using it everynow and then.

The guy was going to sell me the 2N with bushhog, boom pole, 6'foot blade for $1500 is that a good deal.

I wasn't planning on using it everyday.. Just mostly to play with and maybe move some snow everynow and thing and possibly cut my grass sometimes.

Thanks,

Tau
[email protected]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paint Job on 2N

Would this model be considered a Wartime model and painted all grey or should it be red on engine and then fenders and hood painted grey. Also what color should the rims be.

I was just wondering what the correct paint scheme should be.

Thanks,
Tau
[email protected]

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Paint Job on 2N

Originally posted by Tau44
Would this model be considered a Wartime model and painted all grey or should it be red on engine and then fenders and hood painted grey. Also what color should the rims be.

I was just wondering what the correct paint scheme should be.

Thanks,
Tau
[email protected]
:question:

Click on this link and it should answer all your questions.

link http://www.nseries.com/

·
Registered
977 Posts
tau for $1500 i would grab it. if you find a 8n later all the attachments will fit it and you should the 1500 out the 2n alone.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Tau44, the 2n is a good little tractor, it doesn't have some of te features of the 8n, as Andy already mentioned, but the parts availlability is just as good, and in some cases better. For one, we can get (new) steering box parts for the 2n and 9n, but not the 8n.:confused: I'm not sure why, but that's how it is. Either way, I've got used parts here.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Re: 2N Help

Originally posted by Tau44
I am new to this? What do you mean by position control on a 3 point hitch and a draft on the 2N?

[email protected]
Sorry I missed this before, I will try my best to explane it...

Position control allows you to stop the attachment at any position along the hitches lift range. Like when brushhoggong, you can lift the cutter to the height you want to cut at, and it will stay.

Now draft. This manly came about because these tractors were mostly used for plowing back in the day. The draft control let you set the depth you wanted the plow to go under ground, and all the linkages in the system kept that depth no mater what the soil conditions, by verying the pressure on the lift.

Now you can use a tractor with just draft control to mow with, you would just have to hook up a chain or something to stop the lift from going to far down.

Now the 8N is nice becouse it can work eather, but the 2/9N just have draft.

Clear as mud huh?
:) :)

Hope this helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts